(GRAPHIC) Spay Photo. Is this normal??? - Page 4 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #31 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

It is not open at all. It looks just fine. Keep doing what you are doing. The very pinched appearance is because it was closed with staples. Staples can be very irritating, hence the redness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #32 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

I'm shocked they used staples too... and agree it isn't a great job.

Grace had 4 stitches, and the incision got better and better each day, less puffy.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #33 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

Well, I was looking online and found this article. According to their descriptions, what you are seeing is within normal limits.

"Within the first few days after surgery, the edges of the incision will normally swell and become red. The wound may look bruised and may have minor blood tinged fluid seepage. The edges of the wound will not be healed together and a slight gap between the edges is acceptable. Signs of trouble include excessive drainage, such as dripping when your dog is standing, bleeding from the wound or missing sutures. A wide gap, usually over inch, can indicate trouble. Any tissue that is protruding is a sign to contact your veterinarian right away."

Here's the entire article: Is My Dog's Incision Healing Normally? - Page 1

You might still feel better - I would - to have it looked at by a vet, but I thought you might like to see this article. As I said earlier, I've never seen a spay incision closed with staples rather than sutures or surgical glue, so I had no others to compare it too. But using surgical glue instead of staples sure promotes faster healing. I can't imagine why any vet would use staples when the result looks like your pup's, when sutures or better yet surgical glue, does such a better job.

Last edited by IvysMom; 02-10-2013 at 04:25 PM.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #34 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci

Thanks for pulling up that article. That was nice of you.
It has actually started to look a bit better. It's not quite as red...it still has a little bit, but not half as bad as before. The swelling seems to be down too. Now it looks more like bruising and that "crusty" healing look. I will definitely analyze it tomorrow morning and if it isn't better I will take her to the vet just to make sure.
I really do thank everyone for all the advice. This really is a rough few days to have to go through with these babies. I never thought I'd love a doggie so much. I used to think people were nuts when they would cry over their pet passing. NOW I totally understand. I cry when she gets spayed...I can't even imagine the other. Ok, happy thoughts now......
Old 02-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #35 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Hugs to you and Gucci! Hope it looks better tomorrow. You were right it was a bit red and inflamed in your pic. Keep us posted.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:48 PM   #36 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianna82 View Post
I never thought I'd love a doggie so much. I used to think people were nuts when they would cry over their pet passing. NOW I totally understand. I cry when she gets spayed...I can't even imagine the other. Ok, happy thoughts now......

I know. Non-doggy people can't understand how much we can fall in love with a dog, and how much love a dog has to give in return. It is their loss.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #37 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Becky got staples and she had major surgery her incision was from under her ribcage all the way down and hers did not look like that ....... maybe every dog is different ???
aksm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #38 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksm4 View Post
Becky got staples and she had major surgery her incision was from under her ribcage all the way down and hers did not look like that ....... maybe every dog is different ???
So, does Gucci's look BAD in comparison to Becky??
Old 02-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #39 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

To me comparison to Becky yes , but maybe everydog is diferent ????
aksm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #40 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I just called the vet and they said I can bring her in today so they can look at it. They'll also clean it up a little.
It does look a little better today, but I'd rather have someone tell me it's fine.
Advertisement