Jumping? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Jumping?

Zsa Zsa is my second maltese. And as I've mentioned before, my previous maltese was a senior when I got him. So, my question is...do your maltese jump up onto the furniture? Can they?

Zsa Zsa doesn't even try. I don't know if she can't or doesn't know how to jump. We have one step into the house from two doors and she has no problems navigating those (now, but she did have to learn.) She's never even attempted the front steps. There are no steps inside the house.

She asks to be put up onto the sofa, but she has never even attempted to jump up on her own. She does have luxating patellas but very mild. I fostered a tiny peke one time with knees so bad you could see them pop in and out when she was standing still, but they never slowed her down for a minute.

She runs, plays, rolls around, zooms around the house, but she never tries to jump. I'm pretty sure I remember an old friend's maltese bounding up onto the furniture (it's been a while but I think they did.)

So, do your maltese jump onto the furniture? Do you think Zsa Zsa can't or just doesn't know how? I don't want to try to encourage her to do something she isn't able to do and wonder if it's safer this way anyway.

Zsa Zsa
(Puppy mill? What's a puppy mill? You must have
me mistaken with someone else. I've been
a Princess my WHOLE life.)
missalita is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Cindy
Dog's Name: Zoey

Zoey tries all the time to jump up on the sofa. She cant quite make it but she tries. Now Bentley for the longest times acted like he couldnt jump just so he could be picked up. I am sure that your little angel will either jump up, climb up the stairs ( if you have some for her) or train you to pick her up, when she is ready.
dragonsdawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

I bet she can, she just doesn't know she can.

I used to say that my first Maltese, Holly, had springs in her legs. She hopped up on our unusally high bed with no difficulty. But it is as if it doesn't even cross Ivy's mind to try to do so. Ivy finally decided she wanted to learn how to jump up on one low couch we have, and it was more a matter of figuring out timing and technique for her than physical ability. She tried numerous times only to not quite make it and plunked back on the floor. She was so cute the first time she tried to hop up and succeeded; the huge grin on her face clearly said "I DID IT!!" and she was so pleased with herself.

Unless the Lux. Pats are preventing yours from doing so, it may be just a matter of not knowing the technique to get up there or not being motivated to do so. However, I really think there are advantages to them staying on the floor and in the long run it might be better on their joints not to spend a lifetime jumping off of furniture. Now if I could only convince the cats that they belong on the floor...
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci

I did not want Gucci jumping on and off of things because I know they hurt their little knees when they do, but apparently that wasn't my choice. By 4 months she was jumping off of anything and just recently learned how to jump on the couch. I keep trying to say no, but it doesn't work
Old 02-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Beatriz
Dog's Name: Dominic, Benjamin (Bellarata's Bark Knight Rises by Design) & Elena (Ch Bellarata's Prophecy Girl)
Default Jumping?

I gave up saying no to jump. I just put a lot of pillows everywhere he likes to jump and now he actually doesn't jump, even from the couch, if there is not a pillow on the floor.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

I'd love it if Grace couldn't jump on things...or off.

I miss the days when the bed and couch were my puppy-sitters..... so short lived.

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi

Please be glad she doesnt-i have such a hard time with that. I Have even had to take a sectional apart because it was high in the back.
Yogi Can Really Jump-You Know that scares me.
Iam Afraid for his little legs And sooner or later what could happen.

It Really is not best for them at all.Good Post!!!
Dont you wish we could keep them puppys forever?

Last edited by Yogi's Mom; 03-08-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Karen
Dog's Name: Bella and Jasmine (and Heidi at the Bridge)

Bella loves to jump. When we play fetch, I'll throw her ball into the kitchen and she will come running into the living room and make a flying leap from the floor to the sofa. (And she doesn't even drop the ball.) If I put a cape on her, she would look like wonder dog.

"In a perfect world every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog"
maltese#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah, I figure it's probably best if she doesn't but it would at least be nice if she could get on the couch by herself. It does make for a great playpen like someone mentioned. She will climb up on the back of the sofa and run back and forth but she won't even try to jump down.

Zsa Zsa
(Puppy mill? What's a puppy mill? You must have
me mistaken with someone else. I've been
a Princess my WHOLE life.)
missalita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

Zas Zas is just so CUTE! I would be giving that adorable face smooshie kisses all day if she were mine!
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement