Anyone feed Raw? - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 12:35 AM   #11 (permalink)

I fed it to Zsa Zsa for several months. I would like to order more but it is so expensive. I may still go back. She loved it, although it did take her a bit to realize it was actually food. I still feed her raw chicken gizzards and livers and today I gave her a raw chicken wing. She loved it. She doesn't really give kisses and since she occasionally embibes on her own um...poop...I don't encourage kisses. I figure raw food is cleaner than raw poop.

Zsa Zsa
(Puppy mill? What's a puppy mill? You must have
me mistaken with someone else. I've been
a Princess my WHOLE life.)
missalita is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 02:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Maureen
Dog's Name: Cherry Lola, (Bonnies Angels) Penny Lane, (Spunsilk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiksaa View Post
That's funny, because I was reading about Small Batch today and that's what prompted me to post that thread about protein content. This website says the protein content is 14% but how could that be for something raw, meat based? And isn't that too low? Boy I am confused.
SmallBatch Raw Frozen Dog Food | Review and Rating
If you scroll down on the website you referenced, it kinda explains it for you "The dashboard displays a dry matter protein reading of 51%, a fat level of 36% and estimated carbohydrates of about 5%." Looks like an excellent food.

silverhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhaven View Post
If you scroll down on the website you referenced, it kinda explains it for you "The dashboard displays a dry matter protein reading of 51%, a fat level of 36% and estimated carbohydrates of about 5%." Looks like an excellent food.
Yes, I read Pam's reply on that thread AFTER I made this post.

So now I think this protein level is too high, haha. Oh boy, wish this was easier.
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
TLR
Maltese Guru

Name: Tracey
Dog's Name: Ben

I switched Ben to Stella and Cheweys frozen raw a few months ago and it is the best thing that could have happened to him. He was never a good eater and now he twirls around at feeding time. His coat looks better already and he just acts like he feels better. I do have to wash his face after feeding.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Beatriz
Dog's Name: Dominic, Benjamin (Bellarata's Bark Knight Rises by Design) & Elena (Ch Bellarata's Prophecy Girl)
Default Anyone feed Raw?

All I can say is I'm very comfortable with the Small Batches Raw frozen patties, only because within 3 months Dom has never has a food/potty/itching problem and I believe the protein level is acceptable.

Another difference you see on the raw is the poop size, it's crazy, way smaller than on kibble. His vet said that's great as the food waste is minimal showing that he is absorbing all the goodness.

He eats the beef, lamb & turkey. His energy level is incredible and even his groomer tells me she has never seen a Maltese hair so soft and shiny as Dominic's (to which I give credit also to the coconut oil).

Sometimes I sneak some green beans or carrots to see if he slows down the eating but man, he eats fast. Attachment 115202

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by Dominic; 12-30-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janene
Dog's Name: Babinka (06/09/14 Rainbow Bridge) Peppino and Tiny Tina

I do homecook for my three but have also introduced Sojos as well. They seem to do very well on that !!!
maltese manica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I have been feeding this:

Nature?s Variety Instinct Raw Frozen Dog Food | Review and Rating

I also do a rotational diet. I switch proteins every month or so. This food has a dry matter protein of 41% which is still a bit high for my liking for our breed. They aren't pulling a sled in the snow or hearding sheep all day! I use about 1/3 - 1/2 the recommended amount and suppliment the feeding with fresh veg, sweet or regular potatos etc. I cook the veg and keep it in the fridge. I thaw the frozed raw food for the day overnight in the fridge. I warm up the veg and add the raw and feed. Dogs love it.

Please Donate to GME Research
Lola's GME Research Fund
http://maf.convio.net/goto/lolagme.fund
pammy4501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Daisy, Maxwell, and Henry, (and Buddy and Bunnie too), Grendel, Molly and Bunny in heaven

We rotate between Sojos grain free turkey or beef, Stella & Chewy's freeze dried, and Dr. Harvey's Veg to Bowl with cooked meat.
I have tried the frozen raw a few times (S&C and Bravo), but cannot get two of my three to eat it. I don't think they like the texture. They back away from it
My Lhasa, Buddy, had itchy ears and chewed his feet every night, but since we switched to raw and grain free, he has been doing great. I give him fish oil too, which I think has also helped a lot.

Daisy and Max and Henry
Kathleen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

I think there are several of us on the forums who greatly misunderstand protein. Here is an article and video about it by Dr. Becker, if you think she's a quack, then disregard, personally I think she's brilliant

Pet Food Mistake that Could Destroy Their Kidney and Liver
Old 02-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pat
Dog's Name: Archie, Abbey, Ava, Mona Lisa and Tinker

Thanks everyone, I'm thinking of trying a raw diet for my kids, if I can afford it...Archie and Abbey can really use it!!

Archie, Ava and Abbey
Life is Good!!!....and keeps gettin' better!!!

To get to Ava's FB page...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ava/2...9759780?ref=hl
The A Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement