Biscuit roller coaster rides continue - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lindsay
Dog's Name: Opey (Maltese) & Loco (Basset Hound)

My heart goes out to you, Ann, and Biscuit. I also couldn't bring myself to watch the video as I can only imagine how heart breaking and emotional it is. I do appreciate you posting it for people to refer to in the future. You and Ann have been such great parents and so strong for Biscuit. I admire your strength and determination to help your sweet boy. And Biscuit sure is a strong and determined boy!! Biscuit is in my prayers, as are you and Ann. Please give Biscuit a gentle hug for me.

Follow the Barking Corner blog:
www.barkingcorner.com

Or on Facebook:
www.facebook.com/BarkingCorner
lmillette is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

I'm so sorry Biscuit had another seizure. I hope that the right combination of meds will soon stabilize his symptoms. Sympathies to all of you.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #23 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Michelle
Dog's Name: Maisie Rose

It is so sad to watch that adorable, precious baby boy. I am assuming you made the video for DR.Sisson and posted it on SM for a reference. I watched both videos and I think they will be a great resource for anyone wondering if their pet had a seizure, thankyou for taking the time to do that as you must be exhausted from worry.

You can take comfort in that your little angel boy is helping Dr. Sisson and all the babies suffering with this horrible disease
Old 02-13-2013, 01:27 AM   #24 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Vinh & Ann
Dog's Name: Biscuit (waiting for Mommy and Daddy @Rainbow Bridge) & lil Pork Chop
Send a message via AIM to vinhle68 Send a message via Yahoo to vinhle68

Hello Everyone,

I adore everyone heartfelt concerns, prayers, sympathy, well wishes, and words of encouragement. They really help us to continue to cope with the challenges and rough rides with our precious boy.

Today at around 5pm when I got home from work Biscuit had another one but this time the seizure was less severe so no yelping but however the seizure continue even after we administered the first dose of 3mls of Diazepam.

The seizure keeps going for almost 20min+ then for a very brief moment it seem like it stop, but just 5-10sec later started again so we gave him a 2nd 3mls dose of Diazepam. This was actually scary for us to make the decision because we weren't sure if it could end up overdose the boy. But we had to risk it because the seizure wouldn't stop. We were blessed the 2nd dose actually did the trick and Biscuit was completely TKO with his tongue sticking out and his mouth seem like tightly shut and for a brief moment Ann and I also had a heart attack thinking he has bitten his tongue. I force his mouth open and gently tuck his tongue back inside and he lay there completely drugged out.

We were frantic so we had to call the Boston Pharmacy and hunt down Dr. Sisson to find out how many time do we keep giving the 3mls of Diazepam before we should rush Biscuit to the ER. I think we caught him at a bad moment or bad mood because he seems irritated that we bug him with this question. LOL

Has anyone here had past experience with using excessive dosage of Diazepam to contain the seizure or multiple seizures?

Just now, he had to pee but he couldnít move any of his front or back legs steadily to help him stand up and get into the peeing position, and this frustrated him to a point we was whining. So Ann and I took turn using our hands to help him stand as best we could and walking slowly with him, but it was more like dragging him in a stand up position across the carpet. He couldnít use any of his legs and this was very hard to see.

Finally after 30-40min of doing this he manages to pee and we can tell it was a huge relief for Biscuit and now he is back to sleep exhausted from the experienced. Gosh we donít know how much more fight this little guy got in him but heís sure stubborn at the least.

We are still hoping soon that he will adjust to the lower Preds and will soon stabilize and stop having the seizures. We're only in day-2 and it's hard to be on constant anticipation of seizure but we're ready and have become calmer in responding and helping to sooth and calm the boy.

http://youtu.be/SGQhFohaNtQ

http://youtu.be/RLszp78cIoQ

(Lil Biscuit @rainbow bridge, Lil Pork Chop 16weeks old)

Vinh & Ann
San Jose, California
vinhle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:02 AM   #25 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

Vinh and Ann--- I watched each of the videos and as hard as it is to watch, I can't even begin to imagine the daily courage and strength you have to muster up to take care of Biscuit and each other with such love and care. Please know that we are thinking of you and hope that Biscuit always knows how much you love him. I think it is wise of you to get clarification on repeated uses of the rectal medication and recommended time for seizure monitoring at home. The biggest concern would be respiratory depression with over-sedation. This is why many times a dog (or human) is intubated for respiratory airway protection due to the meds needed to stop the prolonged seizures.
hoaloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:54 AM   #26 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Biscuit (waiting for Mommy and Daddy @Rainbow Bridge) & lil Pork Chop
Default Lower than normal temperature is OK?

Question for the gangs.

So now we're concern too that his temperature could be fluctuating possibly Biscuit could be having a fever...uh...naturally we are now questioning every little nitch and bump that could be causing our boy discomfort or additional complication.

We try to use a standard digital temperature today and was only able to insert the tip a few milimeter up his butt and the temperature reads back at around 98.6* F.

I have google Maltese normal temperature and was told that it's around 101* degree F, and if it goes above 102.5* is to worry and have a Vet check it out. However I haven't find anything about what if the temperature is 3-5 degrees lowered than normal.

Should we be concern?

Pet Maltese Information Center | Maltese Health
Temperature: One of the 1st signs of a medical problems in canines is their internal temperature. Like humans, a dog has a "normal resting temperature" . For canines, it is 101 degrees Fahrenheit (38.33 Celsius). If you suspect that your Maltese is sick, take their temperature (this is done anally). If it is above 102.5 F (39.16 C) see the vet ASAP.

Vinh & Ann
San Jose, California
Old 02-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #27 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Terry
Dog's Name: Naddie, Quincy, & ( "Angel Missy" 8/11/94-7/19/05 )

I think there can be several reasons for lowered body temp and one is caused by sedatives... which might be the case with Biscuit? If it was me I'd put a sweater on and/or some heating apparatus ( such as those pads you put in microwave to warm) and put in Biscuits bed to elevated temp a bit. Even warming towels in dryer for him to cuddle up in. I do think maybe the lowered temp should be mentioned to the vet. At 98.6 it is considered mild hypothermia but should be mentioned anyway I think.Of course I'm one to consult to vet anything I have concerns about...much to their dismay often!

As to helping with walking to pee.... when my Missy had partial paralysis from disc disease... I made a body sling from a kitchen towel to support her when walking/potty. I folded it lengthwise then sewed the short ends. I attached a long loop of wide grosgrain ribbon to each short end of the sling for 'handles'. The handles not only helped my back... but gave a little 'space' for her to more 'freely' 'go'.... without her feeling I was right over her. Even after we got her the doggie wheelchair, I still often used the sling for times when she had to go out "quick".
Old 02-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #28 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Default Thanks for the great tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidto2Maltese View Post
I think there can be several reasons for lowered body temp and one is caused by sedatives... which might be the case with Biscuit? If it was me I'd put a sweater on and/or some heating apparatus ( such as those pads you put in microwave to warm) and put in Biscuits bed to elevated temp a bit. Even warming towels in dryer for him to cuddle up in. I do think maybe the lowered temp should be mentioned to the vet. At 98.6 it is considered mild hypothermia but should be mentioned anyway I think.Of course I'm one to consult to vet anything I have concerns about...much to their dismay often!

As to helping with walking to pee.... when my Missy had partial paralysis from disc disease... I made a body sling from a kitchen towel to support her when walking/potty. I folded it lengthwise then sewed the short ends. I attached a long loop of wide grosgrain ribbon to each short end of the sling for 'handles'. The handles not only helped my back... but gave a little 'space' for her to more 'freely' 'go'.... without her feeling I was right over her. Even after we got her the doggie wheelchair, I still often used the sling for times when she had to go out "quick".
Hi Terry,

Thanks for the great body sling tip! Ann going to creatively muster up one to see if we can better help support the boy.

We'll it's coming close to 6AM PST and Biscuit finally forces himself up at around 5:30am because he has been sleeping for roughly 4 hours. We had to crouch over and uses our hands to help him walk around so he can poop and pee, which he finally did.

We also notice he is getting some of the strength back to his legs and this is probably due to the Diazepam slowly exiting his system.

We are now moving into day-4 so we are hoping today will be a seizure free day for the boy so he can have a break.

Happy Wednesday to everyone where ever you maybe, we're thinking and praying for all of your courages and for all loving furballs out there having to deal with rough and difficult times.

Vinh & Ann
San Jose, California
Old 02-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #29 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

I agree with Terry. Try to keep him warm and bring his body temp up a little. Prayers and hugs!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #30 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Terry
Dog's Name: Naddie, Quincy, & ( "Angel Missy" 8/11/94-7/19/05 )

Here's the sling I made, followed by Quincy 'demonstrating' . I used a linen towel as it's less bulky but sturdy but I'm sure a reg terry towel would work too. If yu want a source to buy I think I have a link so let me know.

You can buy them... I just wanted it immediately so made it.

Last edited by Maidto2Maltese; 02-13-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Maidto2Maltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement