The battle continues - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Leah
Dog's Name: Ari
Default The battle continues

I have been whining for several weeks about Ari and his tear stains... I feel I have tried everything .. Metal Bowls, contact solution, filtered water, changed his food, and Angel Eyes. Took him to vet...his ears are good and his tear ducts are not clogged... Called his breeder... she said he never has had tear stains before (he is 3 and retired) and try Angel Eyes... ugh!!! So in my state of unhappiness ... I read the bottle of Angel Eyes again tonight. Ummmm yea.. I bought the Angel Eyes Natural without the Tysoln in it... Geeesh... So I ordered a new bottle that isn't the natural ... I hope this works!!!!The battle continues-imageuploadedbypg-free1361414272.752682.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Please do not feel guilty. As long as you don't use it long term it's ok. I never had to use it but others here have with good results.

Ari is really adorable and honestly the staining is not bad.

I hope it works for you! Good luck!
Old 02-20-2013, 11:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nickee
Dog's Name: Yogi

Ari Is Beautiful! Very handsome little guy.
He doesnt look bad. Maybe its what you use to wash his face with?
Or something your groomer uses.
Good Luck,Nickee*

Hey Ari-I Get those stains sometime.
were sill cool! Yogi*

Last edited by Yogi's Mom; 04-09-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Yogi's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Leanne
Dog's Name: Maya, Symon & Seren-its Oh Sweet William

[QUOTE=Aristotle;2257106]I have been whining for several weeks about Ari and his tear stains... I feel I have tried everything .. Metal Bowls, contact solution, filtered water, changed his food, and Angel Eyes. Took him to vet...his ears are good and his tear ducts are not clogged... Called his breeder... she said he never has had tear stains before (he is 3 and retired) and try Angel Eyes... ugh!!! So in my state of unhappiness ...

Leah....I thought I wrote this! You have my sympathy. I too have tried everything... washing (spa lavash, bio-groom, eye envy) 2-3 times a day, the tums, the bottle/distilled water, even angel eyes (did not work after 1 whole canister), human eye wash solution, all natural nothing artificial diet, Vets say all is well, all for a better part of a year. My hobby is now reading every thread on SM on tear stains in my spare time, trying to find the one that will work for us. I am at the point of shame....not wanting to post pics of kidz on SM because they look like raccoons! Not wanting anyone to think I am a bad mommy. So I feel your pain and hope you find your solution. We are diligently searching for ours.

Leanne
Leanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisol
Dog's Name: Kelly, Kimmy & Khloe

I was in your shoes a few months ago. I gave Kelly Tylosin Tartate for a month and cut off the stained area. It took a few weeks to see improvement but it worked! I haven't given it to her in two months and she's tear stain free. She does tear but I wash her face every 2 days which helps so that it doesn't stain. Don't worry, be patient & it will be over before you know it

Fluffdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Ivy

I think it just takes longer to get control of it than we would like; it doesn't happen overnight or in even 2 or 3 weeks. I would reset my expectations: rather than expecting improvement in one month, realize that it may take 2 or 3 months of committed daily face washing with Collyrium and BioGroom, every single day. Hopefully once you switch Ari to the "real" Angel Eyes with Tylosin, it will do the trick so that after 6 or 8 weeks you won't need it any more and a daily face wash will keep you ahead of the tear stains.

It is a very frustrating problem but you don't have to be embarassed about it here. Everyone here understands and sympathizes because many have walked in your shoes.
IvysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nancy Wyant
Dog's Name: Mia
Heart

I try not to obsess over them. I keep her face clean, washing twice a day with bio-groom and that seems to keep them down a lot. She still has them, but I don't make myself crazy over them.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Name: Cindy Miller
Dog's Name: Lacey

Revival animal health Tylan (tylosine) 100gm soluble powder - use 1/8th tsp. in a gallon of water (distilled), only give this water to drink, keep refrigerated. It works great! I learned this when I was showing maltese. I know how frustrating it can be. I spoke to my veterinarian and she said it was fine to use - in fact, she started recommending it to clients. Also, once the staining clears up, discontinue use and use only when staining gets bad again. Hope this helps!
cynthia's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Yes, we have been having a read bad time of tear stains too and they seem to have gotten worse. I saw that some give distilled water (as opposed to bottled Spring Water?) to their Malts to drink. I also just switched to Fromm from Blue Buffalo to see if that might help. Perhaps I should try that too (distilled water) and as a last resort give Chrissy the Angel Eyes to see it it helps her. So I too, can sympathize with all of those who are going through the same thing with those nasty tear stains.
Snuggle's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: SHELLY
Dog's Name: ABBIGAIL

What's the opinion on Eye Envy? I used this when Abbigail's stains were bad and it really helped.. I could'nt get her to take the Angel Eyes. Of course I use a metal bowl, bottled water, cut back on feeding her chicken and grain. After she cleared up with the Eye Envy I wash her face with baby wipes for sensitive clean or the Biogroom waterless and she has stayed pretty much stain free.
sdubose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement