BAT test, bloodwork? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka
Default BAT test, bloodwork?

Gustave had his first BAT when he was 16 weeks. Since it's recommended he get another one at 6 months, and we didn't do that he's going in next week to get it done.

I have gone back to read a lot of threads to see if I can avoid making this post but I'm still confused. Thanks for your patience!

I have been reading 'Scared poopless' and I completely agree with getting bloodwork done to establish baseline. What tests does that mean? Should I just go in and say bloodwork? Or specific tests?

Do I need a Protein C test if his BAT comes back normal?

Anything else I should do now (in terms of tests) to establish a health baseline?

We are going to a holistic vet for all of this. As much as we like our regular vet, he convinced me to not do a second BAT since Gustave's first one was normal.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

The second BAT is optional. But it will certainly give you good base line info. I don't think the Protein C is needed if the BAT's are normal. And I would just get a basic Chem Panal done once a year on all dogs.

Please Donate to GME Research
Lola's GME Research Fund
http://maf.convio.net/goto/lolagme.fund
pammy4501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

My vet recommends a second BAT test for Dewey as well. He has had two chem panels done which were normal both times. This is from my regular vet, that had me really freaked out when he got his Bat test and Protein C done.

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

I remember being told that one BAT test will do UNLESS there are some problems. We did one after reading about it here when Tyler was about one. I was not told he'd need a follow up. We get a whole blood work up done annually.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

Got it, so BAT and chem panels.

I would be OK with just one BAT but now I am freaking out a bit because I want to feed him 1/2 raw + 1/2 kibble/can. Just feel like I will feel better about it if I have his adult BAT results.
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stacy
Dog's Name: Lucy, Lois, Cookie and Steve
Send a message via Yahoo to bellaratamaltese

Honestly, if it were me, and the first BAT was normal, I wouldn't retest the bile acids. I would just get a baseline chem panel with liver and kidney function. If you do redo it though, have him on a lower protein diet prior to the test and DO NOT let the vet feed that high fat critical care canned cr*p that can cause abnormal test results. I bring toddler chicken sticks in for the meal.

bellaratamaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaratamaltese View Post
Honestly, if it were me, and the first BAT was normal, I wouldn't retest the bile acids. I would just get a baseline chem panel with liver and kidney function. If you do redo it though, have him on a lower protein diet prior to the test and DO NOT let the vet feed that high fat critical care canned cr*p that can cause abnormal test results. I bring toddler chicken sticks in for the meal.
Totally agree with that. That happened to me when Lola was sick. They did a BAT due to her high liver enzymes (ultimately caused by high prednisone dose). They fed her that critical care canned food, and her results werer really high. I asked for it to be repeated the next week and also brought the chicken sitx and the numbers were greatly improved. Again, our dogs don't do well on extremely high protein and fatty diets.

Please Donate to GME Research
Lola's GME Research Fund
http://maf.convio.net/goto/lolagme.fund
pammy4501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Dr. Center's protocol does recommend doing a second BAT at six months, but I don't think I'd bother. Since Gustave's first BAT was normal, you know he doesn't have a shunt. According to Dr. Tobias it sounds like bile acids results can be very inconclusive if a dog has asymptomatic MVD as so many Maltese do.

bileacidqa

Dr. Center's Bile Acid Test Procedure
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

I agree with Pam. I was taught after having had a puppy with shunts and having bile acid testing done on his brother who was healthy that a second BAT is not needed. What it is at 16 weeks, it will be at 6 months in a healthy dog. Many Vets say to get a second one, and I have no idea why so maybe it's an optional thing and up to you. Also I would not get a PC if I had a normal BAT with a healthy puppy. I do yearly blood work.

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
My vet recommends a second BAT test for Dewey as well. He has had two chem panels done which were normal both times. This is from my regular vet, that had me really freaked out when he got his Bat test and Protein C done.

Sammie was 6/57 and I never repeated it bec he is healthy and his BW is normal. My first Vet said to repeat too, I talked to many people and decided not to. Plus his surgeon told me it was not needed in her opinion when I wanted to do one prior to his leg surgery just in case.

Last edited by SammieMom; 02-28-2013 at 07:05 PM.
SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement