Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Matilda needs your prayers

4K views 39 replies 31 participants last post by  The A Team 
#1 · (Edited)
It's been a tough couple weeks here on SM and at my house also. A few months ago I shared with you about Matilda gaining weight and her hair was getting very thin. We took her to our vet, he did blood work everything came back good.
I think we all know when things just aren't right with our babies
This last couple weeks we have noticed Matilda panting, drinking more water then usual, going potty many times a day, hungry all the time, and her tummy is huge, seriously she is so swollen, her clothes don't fit her. So I decided to google her systems and it came up the possibility of Cushing. We took her to the vet on Sat the vet tested her for Cushing, sure enough her range came back 22 1/2 the range is 5-20
Our vet said he feels that we have caught this in time, were waiting for her meds to come in the mail.
I've been very upset by all this, so when I heard about little Snowball it just seemed to much, I love all of your babies, when they are ill, it breaks my heart. I love you and your little ones so very much.
Matilda is my sunshine, my heart, I'm trying to be positive about this whole thing. We just really never know what's in store for each of us everyday.
Matilda will be 11 April 28, hopefully once we get her meds all figured out she will start doing better.
I'll keep you updated

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Oh, Paula ... I am so glad you finally posted about precious Matilda so that your SM family can be here to support you.

First of all, I think the important thing is you now have a diagnosis ... so that you can work from there in order to help Matilda feel better. Although I know it can be scary when we do receive a diagnosis ... it can also be scary when we don't have a diagnosis and have no idea what might be causing our fluff babies to feel discomfort and/or pain.

Yes, you knew something wasn't right with Matilda. I have learned that often we must be assertive when blood work comes back fine ... and, yet we know something is still not right with our fluffs. The same thing happened with Snowball. His lab work was taken the afternoon right before he ended up in the ER ... and, yet, that lab work came back normal. And, when I questioned his breathing not normal ... everyone assumed he was just anxious about being at the vet's office for a check-up.

As for Matilda's lab results for Cushings ... the lab result numbers, thank goodness, do not look extreme as far as being out of range. Often numbers can be a few points off from the normal range and still be considered okay. But, I am not the professional here. Paula, has the doctor done any other tests yet related to Cushings Disease? Have any x-rays been done?

It does sound as though the prognosis might be good for Matilda ... since it appears the disease was caught earlier than later. I understand you feeling anxious with Matilda starting a new med ... I have been the same way here with Snowball. Right now it is going on 4am and I am awake checking his breathing and hoping the new meds are working as intended. (it's still only been a week this afternoon when things started going bad)

I totally understand how all of this is upsetting you. We can feel so helpless when our fluff babies are not well ... and, especially when they cannot tell us what is making them feel uncomfortable.

Of course, my prayers are with sweet Matilda ... and, you and Lorin. Please keep us updated. And, you know you can call me any time. It was great talking to you on the phone this week ... even though it was not the happiest of conversations with our fluffs being sick ... we shared many tears together.

Please give Matilda lots of hugs and kisses from her Auntie Marie. Love, kisses, and hugs for you, too, darling Paula. And, of course, I will be saying many prayers for all of you. :heart::wub:

#3 ·
Dear Paula,
I'm so sorry to hear about sweet Matilda but relieved to know she's in good hands and the vet found a possibly diagnosis.

Sending much love and prayers to you and Matilda for a quick recovery.

Please keep us updated, I know exactly how concerned you must feel at this moment.

Alexandra :wub:

#10 ·
Paula,

Matilda has been in my thoughts. I do honestly believe you caught this early enough that the meds will do wonders for her. She is a sweet little girl with such an adorable face. Please give her hugs from me and Luck. I hope the medications work quickly and she is back to her old self.

#12 ·
Oh Paula, I am praying for sweet Matilda. Our babies are so precious to all of us in the SM family. You are a wonderful Mommy. You did a great job getting Matilda a proper diagnosis. We are so privileged to be in a position to take proper care of our fluffs. I am sure with all the love, prayers and medical attention she will soon be on the mend.

#13 ·
Paula, you are a great mom---we do know how they are at home, like Marie said & we can press when we are so sure it is more than the vet imagines!
Dr. Dodds may be able to help with this if you google her. I sent serum to her when the Austrian vet could not help her (she lost her ear flaps overnight---one completely & one partial). It turned out to be vasculitis from an auto-immune issue caused probably by vaccinosis. It was very uncommon & therefore hard to diagnose, but Dr. Dodds lab did a great job. I know she also helped April with one of her girls allergies. It is worth a try, but it may be that with the meds thing will improve quickly. If not, please consider consulting w/her---she is such a helpful lady.
We love you & want the best for you & Mathilda.
xoxo

#14 ·
Paula -- I know how much you love little Matilda. She's your heart and soul, just like Lacie is mine. And, of course, we all know how much Marie loves her Snowball.

We've been friends on SM for such a long time, but, it means that our fluffs are all abut the same age. Lacie was 11 last October (26th) and little Breeze will be 9 in July.

From everything you described, I am still questioning low thyroid. Did your Vet do the BIG T4 test on Matilda? It's the one they sent to Michigan State Vet School and takes about a week for the results. If not, I would suggest having that done.

In the meantime I'm sending lots of hugs for you and, of course, I'm praying for little Matilda. Hopefully my prayers will help. I've been praying for Snowball and have added Matilda to my prayers.

Dear Lord, I pray for Matilda and Snowball just as Your Word tells me to pray, for healing. I believe you hear this earnest prayer from my heart and that it is powerful because of Your promise. I have faith in You, dear Lord, to heal Matilda and Snowball, but I also trust in the plan You have for their lives. Nourish their spirits and souls in this time of suffering and comfort them with Your presence. Let my Matilda and Snowball and their Moms, Paula and Marie know You are there with them through this difficulty. Give them strength. And may you, through this difficulty, be glorified in His life. I ask this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen

#15 ·
Paula,

So sorry that Matilda has Cushing disease. We do know our babies and thank goodness you monitored her, researched her symptoms and went straight to the doctor with your concerns of what is going on. I hope that the medicine kicks in right away and Matilda feels better and is back to herself very soon.

I think this is a good lesson for all of this to not simply accept what our doctors tell us. We really need to research and keep ourselves informed and educated.

Sending you all love and hugs and prayers for a speedy recovery.

xo
Kim

#16 ·
M.............may the prayers of everyone heal her:prayer:

A.............and may she overcome "it" with every day:yes:

T.............the whole family of SM is giving you both a hug of encouragement:sLo_grouphug3:

I..............in no time, she will be back to her own self:amen:

L..............love :heart:is stronger than illness

D..............darling Matilda will be spoiled in the meantime:smootch:

A..............and God will give her back her health:aktion033:

#17 ·
Paula, I'm sorry Matilda hasn't been feeling well, but so glad you are the great mommy you are and followed through. You are the best, and no matter what, you will always do what's best for your girls. Prayers that meds take quick action and your sweet girl starts to feel better very soon!

#22 ·
Paula, our sweet little pom Emmet has Cushings. He has been on meds for almost a year and is doing well. He turned 14 in February. My doctor is old school with treating Cushings. Emmet is on Lysodren. Many different opinions about treatment, this has been easy 2 times a week he get his meds. Every now and then he will show weakness but he always bounces back after the meds. I am sure she will be fine as soon as you start the meds and get the dose correct.

#24 ·
Paula - I'm so sorry that I didn't see this until now. I've been ill so just sporadically on line right now. I'm sorry to hear about Matilda having Cushings but I really do think you caught it very early and sounds like the meds can help a lot. Just as I said for Snowball and Marie, we know our kids best and know when something's off. We have to follow those feelings. My vet thought that Tyler might have Cushings recently and I had to take him in for the test for it. Luckily it showed he does not have it. It's the pheno we're giving him that's causing bloodwork irregularities but we're not taking any of them for granted. Hoping Matilda does well. Geez between us aging and our dogs aging, never a dull moment! :w00t:

#27 ·
Paula, I'm sorry you have all this worry about Matilda and so glad to hear that they think this is caught early and it's something that can be managed. But still of course I'm going to pray for Matilda and you and Lorin. Worrying about our pups is not fun and so draining. I hope the meds arrive today and you can get into a routine and she feels better asap!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.