PetPlan Insurance Price Hike - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2016, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Judy
Dog's Name: Tater tot
Default PetPlan Insurance Price Hike

Wow, has anyone received a renewal from PetPlan recently? Mine went up $100 (same thing happened last year) and deductible was raised to $350. If I want to keep deductible it at $200, it goes up $200 more than last year...trying to decide what to do...
hempsteadjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2016, 08:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Daisy, Maxwell, Henry and Bunnie

Mine just went up quite a bit too. Very disappointing. I believe that they have a new underwriter and the plans changed.
I decided to up the deductible and plan to use the coverage for just really large expense/ emergencies. Otherwise it was just too expensive.
It is too bad because otherwise I have been very happy with them.

Daisy, Maxwell, Henry and Bunnie
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sherry
Dog's Name: Riley and Sissy

That's crazy! What age is Tater Tot? Is age a factor? I have Healthy Paws and pay $75 a month for both of mine.

sherry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2016, 12:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Judy
Dog's Name: Tater tot

He turned 6 in June, I've had petplan since I adopted him 5 years ago...I think I will set up special saving account and faithfully put $500 per year in. I might look into Healthy Paws.
hempsteadjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: becky
Dog's Name: Bailey, Lucky, Bambi(@the rainbow bridge)
Send a message via Yahoo to bailey02

I have VPI which is now nationwide and mine went up a few dollars as Bailey get older. I have all the 3 dogs on the policy and they automatically deduct $76.00 biweekly from my check. I opted to get the additional Careguard coverage on top of the regular insurance. I also have thought about just opening a saving account but I know as soon as I cancel the policy something is bound to happen and I would have regretted my decision.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sherry
Dog's Name: Riley and Sissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempsteadjb View Post
He turned 6 in June, I've had petplan since I adopted him 5 years ago...I think I will set up special saving account and faithfully put $500 per year in. I might look into Healthy Paws.
Have you called and talked to them? It may help.

sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Daisy, Maxwell, Henry and Bunnie

I thought of opening a savings account instead too, since I am paying so much a year in premiums for four. But I was worried that the funds wouldn't accumulate fast enough. What if something happened next year, and I only had a few thousand saved? I have had bills of around $10,000 (for spinal surgery) and $15,000 (for GME hospitalization for a week) in the past. Vet costs, especially hospitalization, are just so high that I don't feel that I could save enough quickly enough to feel confident. I just don't want to ever be in a position that I have to think about cost in making any decisions.
It is tough, because premiums are high.

Daisy, Maxwell, Henry and Bunnie
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

Yes they got a new underwriter. I've had them since I got Tyler 7 years ago and for some reason the underwriter hasn't changed for New York dogs so my increase wasn't that great but it will next year. Just crazy though when you look at the costs of dog diagnostics and treatment these days, the costs are sky high too. I've been very happy with them. Tyler needed an MRI two years ago that would have cost $2200 and he had to see the vet and neurologist which together cost another $500. Then you add quarterly blood tests that run $300. more neuro visits and add on his meds that run $150 a month and it definitely has paid for me to have insurance. And it all happened in the snap of a finger. They are easy to deal with, pay within 10 days at most and have covered 80% of everything I've put in for his seizures. That was over $5000 for one year and they've been paying ever since then too. I doubt I would have saved enough and no one knows what's around the corner. He also had a corneal abrasion that was tricky and they paid on that too. We obviously cannot change because of the pre-existing condition.

Snowbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kathy
Dog's Name: Pipper

I have Trupanion and my premium actually went DOWN this past year. I WAS paying $37/month but now pay $34/month. That is with a $500 deductible which was my choice. I could pay less deductible but monthly premiums then being higher. The deductible is per illness which can be a good or bad thing. In our case it's a good thing because since Pipper had bladder stones 3 years ago and has to monitored for life, now anything to do with bladder stones already has the deductible paid for so Trupanion pays 90% of the cost. We do a urinalysis and xrays 2 times a year. He had a urinalysis done on Friday and by Tuesday the money was already back in my bank account. Can't get much faster than that.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

pippersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: jane and addison
Dog's Name: tinkerbelle and Petey

Just got Tinkerbelle's new year quote. Wondering if I will continue, but $275.90 for each for the year seems reasonable. Others appear to be over $1000.00 for the year.
jane and addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement