Chewing Everything - Biting too! - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2016, 10:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Dave
Dog's Name: Pandora
Default Chewing Everything - Biting too!

Pandora is at THAT teething age almost 6 months old and once outside her iris pen anything is fair game - I realize she is just a pup and she constantly craves attention, but it can be overwhelming at times.

So who can identify with some of these behaviors...It would be comforting just to know I am not alone.

Chews on plants, eats bits of them - had move them Higher or other rooms.

Jumps on your legs, bites clothing...or legs if bare. Will bite anywhere if you provide an opportunity.

Grabs anything (loves paper) and plays "keep away" ingests stolen objects if you are not quick enough!

Manages to flip area rugs and chew runners in them

Pulls tissues or eyeglass holders from your shirt pockets

Pounces without warning on couch, bites your face, neck & nose...ow!

Gnaws metal latches on pen, Gnaws crate hardware, manages to flip over "untippable" bowls and gnaws the rubber bases. Basically, OUTSIDE the playpen anything is at risk.
Pandora'sLocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2016, 12:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lydia
Dog's Name: Georgie Girl (GG), Bayleigh (yorkie), Lexie (RIP Sweet Angel 12/07/99-12/31/2013)

The teenage time can be a rough one! Some are worse than others, I think you might need some managed training time to get her mind off of naughtiness. Good luck and hopefully she grows out of it soon

lydiatug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: April
Dog's Name: Rose, Lily, Teddy & Eva(At Rainbow Bridge)

Your baby reminds me of my TeddyHe was the puppy from H**l. I couldn't even let him have a bed in his pen because he would pee on it. He peed on himself too and I had to bathe his paws every day..and so much energy! I really thought about giving him back..but he is just so stinkin' cute, I waited it out..he will be 2 in February and he has become a little gentleman..right now, he is snoozing in my lap..so hang in there..it WILL get better..
Old 12-29-2016, 04:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

I agree w/the others---pup needs some concentrated "teach/play" time. I would also give Pandora the small sized Churpi Chews---they need something that IS allowed to chew on---not rawhides or things they can destroy or swallow that can cause obstruction. Chirpies last forever. Pictures please!

"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Oh, I forgot "Digging"

Not outside in the dirt or grass (yet).

She will dig,dig,dig (with great fury) with both front paws on the floor, in her doggie bed, in the food or water bowl (when empty) -- just about anywhere when she feels like it!

That could go on a few minutes if I let it...On the leather couch, its a Big No-No.

She's a hoot! To me these toy breed pups are full of surprises (mostly pleasant!)
Old 12-30-2016, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydiatug View Post
The teenage time can be a rough one! Some are worse than others, I think you might need some managed training time to get her mind off of naughtiness. Good luck and hopefully she grows out of it soon
Agree! We are working on basic commands and she seems to enjoy training (since treats are involved)

We are also looking into getting her in an obedience class.

Nipping out of the wild blue is less frequent than a month ago - grooming & brushing still has a high % of getting nailed though. - that's my job!
Old 12-30-2016, 11:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Kitzi & Lisi do the digging, but now know when I say "stop" what that means & they cooperate for the most part. They are almost 7 & 5 yrs. old. Puppies are puppies---busy, busy, busy. They need guidance & stimulation to move in positive direction---and even then, sometimes they are stubborn!

"Wag more Bark less"
Old 01-03-2017, 10:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edelweiss View Post
Kitzi & Lisi do the digging, but now know when I say "stop" what that means & they cooperate for the most part. They are almost 7 & 5 yrs. old. Puppies are puppies---busy, busy, busy. They need guidance & stimulation to move in positive direction---and even then, sometimes they are stubborn!
Depending on where the digging is going on sometimes its okay to just let her get it out of her system. Like everything else she gets bored quickly and ready to move on to something else to occupy her time.

! Have you seen any of the users reviews concerning yak-milk treats? I was not aware of them at all until I looked up the chews on Amazon...you might want to read some of the 1 star reviews for yourself. Cases of them getting stuck in dog's esophagus or other parts of the GI tract. Apparently IF the treat splinters that is the danger.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I have been using the Churpies for about 7 yrs. w/no incidents---but I closely monitor all the things my dogs use & take the Churpie away at less than small size. I also don't start w/small, but w/medium & then take it away when it seems anywhere near small so as not to risk any incident. I do think people can be careless in letting them chew them until they are way too small. They are much safer than anything else I have used, but all things are a danger so be vigilant for sure or don't give them at all! Never risk!

"Wag more Bark less"
Old 01-07-2017, 10:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

I am having the same issues with Leilu! She just turned 15 weeks and my arms are all black and blue from her 'love' bites! Keep replacing me with toys but it's getting frustrating! It hurts!
Pandora sounds like she could be sisters with my pup! lol
I am also thinking about puppy training. She is very smart and learns quickly but sometimes she can't get past her excitement to focus on anything! Runs through the house like her tail is on fire, up and down and around the furniture! Can't help but laugh at the antics!

Last edited by nh_gal; 01-07-2017 at 10:07 PM.
nh_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement