Should I be concerned? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums


SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
pippersmom's Avatar
 
Name: Kathy
Dog's Name: Pipper
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,286
Default Should I be concerned?

I didn't bring this up yesterday because I could only deal with one thing at a time but when they did Pipper's bloodwork everything was normal except his creatinine ( not sure if I spelled that right) was SLIGHTLY elevated. They want to recheck it in 2 weeks. They said it was so slight that I needn't loose sleep over it but of coarse it's been on my mind. They said it very easily could just be from dehydration, after all he hadn't been allowed to eat or drink before the surgery. Has anyone else has this result and it meant nothing.
__________________

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.


pippersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-10-2017, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
Snowball Pie's Mommi's Avatar
 
Name: Marie
Dog's Name: Snowball
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippersmom View Post
I didn't bring this up yesterday because I could only deal with one thing at a time but when they did Pipper's bloodwork everything was normal except his creatinine ( not sure if I spelled that right) was SLIGHTLY elevated. They want to recheck it in 2 weeks. They said it was so slight that I needn't loose sleep over it but of coarse it's been on my mind. They said it very easily could just be from dehydration, after all he hadn't been allowed to eat or drink before the surgery. Has anyone else has this result and it meant nothing.
Kathy, you are beginning to sound like Snowball's mommy (me!) You are like me ... I can zero in on one lab result. But, that is a good thing.

I don't think you have to worry about a sightly elevated creatinine. It has happened with Snowball's labs, too. If there were other results that were out of the normal range ... than, your vet might be concerned.

Often, some blood lab results that are slightly elevated, or slightly low, might still be within the norm.

I do think it's great that your vet who will do the recheck. That can help give you peace of mind, too.

Hugs to you and Pipper.
__________________
Snowball Pie's Mommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
pippersmom's Avatar
 
Name: Kathy
Dog's Name: Pipper
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,286
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball Pie's Mommi View Post
Kathy, you are beginning to sound like Snowball's mommy (me!) You are like me ... I can zero in on one lab result. But, that is a good thing.

I don't think you have to worry about a sightly elevated creatinine. It has happened with Snowball's labs, too. If there were other results that were out of the normal range ... than, your vet might be concerned.

Often, some blood lab results that are slightly elevated, or slightly low, might still be within the norm.

I do think it's great that your vet who will do the recheck. That can help give you peace of mind, too.

Hugs to you and Pipper.

Marie I am so happy that someone else is so much like me. I do tend to do exactly what you said.....if there is one slight little thing that is off, my mind zero's in on that one thing even if everything else is perfectly normal and he has no symptoms to be concerned about.
They actually made me cry happy tears at the vet yesterday. They said that Pipper really got lucky to have me as a Mom and I go above and beyond to take good care of him.
I will still worry though until he has the next blood work done
__________________

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.


pippersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 01-10-2017, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
edelweiss's Avatar
 
Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 13,979
Default

I would only worry about that value if the phosphorous level was also elevated. My guess is that it was dehydration. It is best to retest at some point after things are well settled.
__________________
Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.), - St. Bernard
"Life without a maltese is like summer without ice-cream." - St. Edelweiss

"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
Sylie's Avatar
 
Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray, Hope & Fifi in Heaven
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hidden Valley, CA
Posts: 10,612
Default

Okay, Kathy, now promise me you won't get all worried if Pipper has runny poop today.
__________________
MiMi & Sylvie
Sylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

 
Lacie's Mom's Avatar
 
Name: Lynn
Dog's Name: Lacie,Secret(Ch Angels Top Secret of Khanthav) & Breeze(Ch Angels Heavenly Breeze of Linmont),
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Posts: 17,221
Send a message via AIM to Lacie's Mom
Default

Kathy - I'm also guessing dehydration. I also am very concerned if any of my girls' labs are off. Glad that it will be rechecked.

How's Pipper doing today?
__________________
Lacie's Mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru


 
Matilda's mommy's Avatar
 
Name: Paula, mommy to my Matilda and Maddie
Dog's Name: Matilda & Maddie Miss Button's and Bow's is waiting for me a Heaven's Rainbow Bridge
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 22,379
Default

yes I'm like you also. Matilda's creatinine level was slightly up when she had her blood work done before her dental, my vet also felt it was dehydration, I was relieved
from fasting. so how's that boy doing today
__________________
Matilda's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
Maglily's Avatar
 
Name: Brenda
Dog's Name: Jodi
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NL, Canada
Posts: 12,439
Default

Glad you have some peace of mind re the bloodwork.
__________________
Maglily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru
 
pippersmom's Avatar
 
Name: Kathy
Dog's Name: Pipper
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,286
Default

ok thanks guys you have put my mind at ease.......well a bit
Sylvia, I will try not to worry if he has runny poop....yuck!
Pipper doesn't seem too bad today, just very sleepy. He is on my lap right now and I notice he is starting to tremble a bit. Maybe it's pain because it's almost time for another painkiller.
__________________

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.


pippersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

 
Snowball Pie's Mommi's Avatar
 
Name: Marie
Dog's Name: Snowball
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippersmom View Post
ok thanks guys you have put my mind at ease.......well a bit
Sylvia, I will try not to worry if he has runny poop....yuck!
Pipper doesn't seem too bad today, just very sleepy. He is on my lap right now and I notice he is starting to tremble a bit. Maybe it's pain because it's almost time for another painkiller.
According to Snowball's medical team (Krisi (his regular and holistic vet)... Dr. Tyrrell (his cardiologist) ... Dr. Chamberlain (the dental specialist) ... and, in addition to Leesburg Veterinary Hospital's consulting with Snowball's doctors ... They all work together and call themselves *Team Snowball* From his doctors ... I learned that trembling can also be caused by nausea.

After Snowball's dental he was restricted to food for a few hours ... and, then the next day at noon he could have a regular soft cooked meal. Sometimes I think the anesthesia can cause an initial upset tummy. So, maybe Pipper has a little nausea from the anesthesia?

Snowball did well with the Tramadol. Maybe if your vet thinks it's the pain medication they could give him Cerenia? Or, Pepcid might help? However, it is just some thoughts. Please let us know what your vet thinks ... you and Pipper's vet know his history the best.
__________________

Last edited by Snowball Pie's Mommi; 01-10-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Snowball Pie's Mommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:44 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum