How to tell if dog is under weight - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2017, 04:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Meranda
Dog's Name: Paris Marie
Default How to tell if dog is under weight

Hi my son took Paris to get groomed at this new place that opened first time all went well after 3 weeks to get groomed again they told my son that you can see Paris ribs huh well my son had just taken Paris to the vet when she was sick and they checked her and didn't mention anything about Paris ribs I feed Paris 1/3 cup of IAMS proactive health MiniChunks in the morning around 6:30 am or 7 am and evening at 4:30 pm sometimes she eats her morning sometimes she still has it by dinner time .Paris is 2 years old she weighs about 9 pounds she's a Maltese Shiz .Oh and you know what after my son picked up Paris the lady said oh we sprayed her hair on her ears pink we thought you would like that .....well I told my husband they had no right doing that without asking first I just might go back to the other groomer we had went to this one cause it's right down the street.Thank you all maybe you all can help me with what kind of food to give Paris sometimes I wonder if she gets bored with the same food everyday.
meranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 05:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: jane and addison
Dog's Name: tinkerbelle and Petey

I would not listen to the groomer, I would ask your vet. I feed ours Fromm dog food. Ours weight just under 9 lbs each. 9 lbs sounds right to me. Oh yes welcome to SM.
jane and addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: SANDY
Dog's Name: 'BABY', & REMEMBERING 'KAR' WHO IS WAITING FOR ME AT THE RAINBOW BRIDGE

Your vet is the best one to judge your Paris's weight, and you also know your dog the best. Maybe next time you go to your vet specifically ask your vet to assess your dogs Paris's body weight.

I feed my 6.5 lb. Maltese freeze dried raw food {Stella & Chewys & Primal} it seems to be working for us. Baby loves it and doesn't refuse his food anymore like he used to do with his other food I fed him in the past. Is your dog food you are feeding grain free? Many of us use grain free dog food weather or not it is raw or not raw food. Nowadays many believe dogs are not supposed to eat grains. 9 pounds sounds reasonable but it depends on how tall & wide your dog is, the size of her bones. I would rely on my vet for his opinion & not the groomer.

Personally, if I took my dog to the groomer and he came back with any colored dye, even if temporary dye in his hair I would be furious! Would a hair dresser do that to a human without their consent? Or a persons human child without the parents consent? Then why do it to a fur child without the parents consent?!! The nerve!

One time our vet was not there and I had to take him to a different vet within the same practice where we take him, and that vet who was not our usual vet almost cut the hair off on my dogs face without asking me! She mutterd that she was going to cut it as she was leaving the room, and she said it so quietly with her back to me as she was walking out that I almost didn't hear her. I had to ask her to repeat what she had said. In disbelief I politely said absolutely NO, DO NOT CUT HIS HAIR! I was flabbergasted that she would do such a thing. My boy has long flowing hair and I keep it secured back out of his face. Now every time I take him there I always warn them not to cut any of his hair.
LOVE_BABY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2017, 02:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stephanie
Dog's Name: Daisy and Ellie the Sheltie

Daisy has a really short haircut (3mm) and you can see her ribs. She is tiny at only 3.5 or so pounds but she's not under weight, just short and petite like many Korean Maltese. Our vet has never said she was too thin. I don't think Maltese are a muscle-y breed like some others so unless there is too much fat, there's not going to be much over the ribs.
Steph_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

You should be able to easily feel the ribs under a thin layer of fat. If you can't feel the ribs, your dog is overweight. Because our fluffs (and especially mixed breeds) vary by skeleton size, you can't just say "oh 9 pounds sounds right." My mix is 7.75 pounds at her best weight, and my Maltese is 6.5 pounds.

And no way would I go back to a groomer who sprayed color without my permission.

My girls have been on Addiction raw for a couple of years and we just went to Stella & Chewy's freeze dried raw for more variety. Fromm is a great food as well. You might consider switching to a better food that doesn't have a lot of grains the way your current food does.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brenda
Dog's Name: Jodi

My opinion is the same as the others, the vet is the best one to listen to. And you will find lots of people give advice or have an opinion but take it with a grain of salt. They might just be know-it-alls and want to express their 2 cents, or think they are being helpful but I would listen to a vet first.

I wouldn't go back to this groomer anyhow, colouring your dogs ears without permission? I would not give them a second chance.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: SANDY
Dog's Name: 'BABY', & REMEMBERING 'KAR' WHO IS WAITING FOR ME AT THE RAINBOW BRIDGE
Angry

P.S. just one more thing...
If that happened to me with a groomer putting dye on my dogs hair, Personally what I would do is to go on 'Yelp' and leave a review about that groomer, telling others what that groomer did so to warn others about it so it doesn't happen to their pets. If the word gets out about what she does, and her business drops that groomer might figure out that people don't like their dogs hair dyed without their permission.
LOVE_BABY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Name: Meranda
Dog's Name: Paris Marie

Thank you all God Bless
meranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Zooey (Maltese), Maizie & Frosty (Standard Poodles)

Yes, every dog is built differently, but if you can SEE their ribs, the dog is underweight. You should only be able to feel them.

Elisabeth & Zooey
zooeysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement