Growling - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2005, 04:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

We already had our 2 yorkies when we got Maya, lately she has ben growling at the other 2 if they come near her and she has something they want (bully stick, greenie smart chew, even a toy). SHe gets along great with them, but will just growl if she is playing or eating something that they want. Is this normal? I know its a behavioral problem, but Im not sure if it will get worse as she gets older (she will be 1 in June). Other than that she is fine and LOVES her brother and sister, so hopefully it wont progress

Old 05-18-2005, 08:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stick a fork in me.... I'm done.

It sounds like she is asserting herself as the alpha. Catcher does that to Kallie, too. Maya is just letting them know to stay away from her stuff.... As long as she doesn't do that to you or any other human you should be OK.
k/c mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 08:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@May 18 2005, 07:46 AM
It sounds like she is asserting herself as the alpha. Catcher does that to Kallie, too. Maya is just letting them know to stay away from her stuff.... As long as she doesn't do that to you or any other human you should be OK.
<div align="right">
[/QUOTE]

Sounds normal. Haha - if she is getting along fine with them otherwise I wouldn't worry to much. ALL my dogs do this to each other and I have 6. The youngest is 4 months and the oldest is 13 1/2. I feed a raw diet and they get their chicken necks in the morning. (EEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW I know but they keep the teeth awful clean!) Of course Bully sticks aren't much better cause we all know what those are. *cringe* hahahah! All 6 guys go to different places to eat them and still grrrrrrrr at each other. They don't attack, or bite. I call it snarking. Its funny. The other dogs can be across the room and they still do it. LOL - even Winnie who is the baby. The clincher is that I can go up to any of the dogs and take them away without a problem. So keep a heads up for that.

I have heard this saying over and over again and I think it hold true.

A dog won't bite if a growl will do.

Hugs
Robyn
CookieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 12:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

"A dog won't bite if a growl will do."

Now there's a philosophy to live by! BTW, what type of dog is that in your avatar?
Old 05-18-2005, 12:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via AIM to Brinkley & Neyland's Mom Send a message via Yahoo to Brinkley & Neyland's Mom

Quote:
Originally posted by CookieCat@May 18 2005, 07:54 AM
I have heard this saying over and over again and I think it hold true.

A dog won't bite if a growl will do.

Hugs
Robyn
<div align="right">
[/QUOTE]

I tell my kids this all the time...that Brink's growl is his warning to them. If he snaps at them, it is always because they did not leave him alone when he growled.

<span style="color:#990000">"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner </span>
Brinkley & Neyland's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 12:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by saltymalty@May 18 2005, 11:02 AM
"A dog won't bite if a growl will do."

Now there's a philosophy to live by!* BTW, what type of dog is that in your avatar?
<div align="right">
[/QUOTE]

That is my Havanese. The Havana silk dog. Chewy is a true Chocolate and he is gorgeous! I snuck in Spoiled Maltese because I fostered a maltese (Lamby, who was adopted by Sheila here at SM) for 6 months. I hope to have one of my own but not for a couple of years. In the meantime I enjoy the posts and this is way better than the Havanese forums! haha! I deal with a lot of the same issues with my Hav - long silky hair, eye boogers, mats, food etc. So Usually I lurk and just read away.

Robyn
Old 05-18-2005, 12:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

That's what I thought! I love Havanese...I have two friends who have them. One is a beautiful white Havanese. She and my puppy look like two dust mops when they run around together. My other friend has a black and white Havanese, which I think has Shih Tzu in him. To my untrained eye, he looks like a Shih, and nothing like a Havanese. She got him from a broker on the internet....need I say more?
Old 05-18-2005, 12:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I saw a havanese for the first time this weekend, she was white, but she was adorable and really reminded me somewhat of a maltese!

Quote:
Originally posted by saltymalty@May 18 2005, 09:20 AM
That's what* I thought!* I love Havanese...I have two friends who have them.* One is a beautiful white Havanese.* She and my puppy look like two dust mops when they run around together.* My other friend has a black and white Havanese, which I think has Shih Tzu in him.* To my untrained eye, he looks like a Shih, and nothing like a Havanese.* She got him from a broker on the internet....need I say more?
<div align="right">
[/QUOTE]
Old 05-18-2005, 12:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via AIM to LexiAndNikkisMom Send a message via Yahoo to LexiAndNikkisMom

Quote:
Originally posted by BrookeB676+May 18 2005, 11:31 AM-->
Quote:
I saw a havanese for the first time this weekend, she was white, but she was adorable and really reminded me somewhat of a maltese!

<!--QuoteBegin-saltymalty
Quote:
@May 18 2005, 09:20 AM
That's what* I thought!* I love Havanese...I have two friends who have them.* One is a beautiful white Havanese.* She and my puppy look like two dust mops when they run around together.* My other friend has a black and white Havanese, which I think has Shih Tzu in him.* To my untrained eye, he looks like a Shih, and nothing like a Havanese.* She got him from a broker on the internet....need I say more?
<div align="right">
<div align="right">
[/B][/QUOTE]
I saw an all white havanese at the pet store last year. It looked just like a maltese but was about twice the size (around 15lbs). It was really cute. That was the first time I had heard about the breed.

Edit: Here are some pictures of Havaneses. There are some white Havenese that look like Maltese.

Kristi, Lexi, & Nikki

LexiAndNikkisMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

[QUOTE]
Quote:

Quote:
I saw an all white havanese at the pet store last year. It looked just like a maltese but was about twice the size (around 15lbs). It was really cute. That was the first time I had heard about the breed.

Edit: Here are some pictures of Havaneses. There are some white Havenese that look like Maltese.
<div align="right">
Interestingly enough they are in the same family as the maltese. Bichon Havanese, bichon maltese, bichon frise, bichon bolgnese (Gorgeous dogs!)
So in a sense we can just say Chewy is a relative right!

I know people who have larger Hav's but they should be between 7 & 13 lbs. Chewy is 8 lbs. The white ones DO look just like malts. The difference is - Hav's tend to have wavy hair. But whites tend to be more straight. Havs are sturdier and thicker boned and Malts a little more delicate. I have seen white havanese that I swear are Maltese. My Chewy is chocolate brown and sooooo pretty. They were actually a herding breed and Chewy is a Herder. LOL! But he is breed standard all over. Height at withers, hair coat, weight etc. Pretty pretty boy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement