Help! Blood in stool - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2005, 07:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Bentley has had soft stools today and it's gotten worse where it's pretty loose. Late this afternoon I noticed that it has blood in it and he acts like he's not feeling well. I'm due to leave out of town in the morning and called my vet 30 minutes before they left the office for the day. I explained what was going on with him and they didn't have an opening and 2 of the vets had already left for the day. The remaining vet told me to come on in and get some antibiotics to start him on. But I'm very worried. What would cause him to have bloody stool? He's almost 4 years old. Any ideas? Will he be ok????

Mia
Luvmypupster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2005, 07:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via AIM to dr.jaimie Send a message via Yahoo to dr.jaimie

there are many causes for the blood in the stool...could u describe it? (i know its gross but has to be done ) it is fresh bright red blood? is it on all the stool or at the begining or end? is there any mucous? is the stool dark almost black?
if it is fresh blood it is prob just from inflammation of the colon..and he might be straining and that is causing the blood. depends on what it looks like.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Jul 7 2005, 11:18 PM
there are many causes for the blood in the stool...could u describe it? (i know its gross but has to be done )* it is fresh bright red blood? is it on all the stool or at the begining or end?* is there any mucous?* is the stool dark almost black?
if it is fresh blood it is prob just from inflammation of the colon..and he might be straining and that is causing the blood.* depends on what it looks like.
<div align="right">
[/QUOTE]

Sorry to be descriptive but it is very loose, and very dark pink to red..like fresh blood. When I first noticed it was like drops of blood on his stool. Now that he has gone from soft to more liquidy it has turned his poop the dark pink/red like it's mixed in it rather than on it. He's going very frequently. There is also mucous and the mucous smells bad. I'm having to was his rear off everytime he goes. He obviously isn't feeling well. I'm also worrued that my yorkie might get it too if it's viral. Please help..anyone with advice???

Mia
Old 07-07-2005, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

did he eat n e thing out of the ordinary? been in any stressful situations? is he on heartworm preventative? which one? vaccinated?
Old 07-07-2005, 07:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Jul 7 2005, 11:35 PM
did he eat n e thing out of the ordinary?* been in any stressful situations? is he on heartworm preventative? which one?* vaccinated?
<div align="right">
[/QUOTE]
He had his check up early last week and was given his annual shots, I have him on heartguard , haven't seen him eat anything he should have. I put frontline plus ( I split the dose between both dogs) on him as always and his last dose was about 10 days ago. It's not like straight blood..it is tinged with stool and mucous.

Mia
Old 07-07-2005, 07:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

well it could be parasitic, but most likely he just has some intestinal upset. some antibiotics like metronidazole should take care of it.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janet
Dog's Name: Koby (Angel Scooby & Koko)

I was just going to say that it could be intestinal parasites or a bacterial infection which can cause bleeding from the bowel. I do hope you can get veterinary help to rule out any serious problems.
Please let us know how Bentley is doing. I do hope his is ok
Old 07-07-2005, 07:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Martha
Dog's Name: Ruby & Olive

Ruby had this happen once, she had a mild case of colitis (sp?) and it cleared up with antibiotics. Hope Bentley feels better real soon!

Ruby's mom Martha
mimi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 08:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Jul 7 2005, 06:47 PM
well it could be parasitic, but most likely he just has some intestinal upset.* some antibiotics like metronidazole should take care of it.
<div align="right">
[/QUOTE]

Ditto.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by JMM+Jul 8 2005, 12:02 AM-->
Quote:
<!--QuoteBegin-LadyMontava
Quote:
@Jul 7 2005, 06:47 PM
well it could be parasitic, but most likely he just has some intestinal upset.* some antibiotics like metronidazole should take care of it.
<div align="right">
Ditto.
<div align="right">
[/B][/QUOTE]

I did talk the Vet into giving him something. They couldn't see him because they were booked with only one vet still there when I called at 5:00. The office was going to close at 5:30 so I ran up to pick up the medicine. They gave me amoxicillin . Told me to give him 1 cc twice daily. Will that help?

Mia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement