science diet v.s. eukanuba ? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2005, 05:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

i'm new to the forum and i was just wondering.. which is better for my puppy? science diet or eukanuba?

opinions are appriciated!!
foX42O is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2005, 05:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via AIM to LexiAndNikkisMom Send a message via Yahoo to LexiAndNikkisMom

Actually there are a lot of other brands that are better. Both use by-products and fillers. Some good brands are Innova, Flint River, Chicken soup for the dog lovers soul. There are more but that is all I can remember now. If you do a search on this site you will find a bunch of other threads about this topic.

Kristi, Lexi, & Nikki

LexiAndNikkisMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Chilly dog

Between those two I would have to say Eukenuba. If you go to less mainstream pet stores you can find even better dog foods that don't contain by-products.

Hope that helps!

-Mal
Chilly dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 05:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

leise is currently eating wellness.. but the vet recommended science diet to her today.. so yeah.. i'm just on a food search.. don't know what the best thing for her would be. (it's my first time owning a puppy..)
Old 10-06-2005, 05:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via AIM to LexiAndNikkisMom Send a message via Yahoo to LexiAndNikkisMom

Quote:
Originally posted by foX42O@Oct 6 2005, 04:15 PM
leise is currently eating wellness.. but the vet recommended science diet to her today.. so yeah.. i'm just on a food search..* don't know what the best thing for her would be.* (it's my first time owning a puppy..)
<div align="right">
[/QUOTE]
A lot of times vets recommend science diet and eukanuba because that is what they were told in school is good. I've heard in some schools vets only get 1 class on nutrition and that a lot of times it is taught by a rep from science diet or eukanuba. You want to get a product that has a meat in the first 3 ingredients. You want to try and get one that doesn't have a grain in the first 3 ingredients. Wellness is a pretty good food I think.

Here are the ingredients for the Super5Mix Puppy:
Quote:
Ingredients
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Salmon Meal (natural source of DHA), Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of vitamin E), Ground Brown Rice, Rice Bran (from brown rice), Tomatoes (natural source of lycopene), Natural Chicken Flavor, Rye Flour, Ground Millet, Flaxseed, Carrots, Apples, Spinach, Blueberries, Sweet Potatoes, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate.[/B]

Kristi, Lexi, & Nikki

LexiAndNikkisMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 05:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

yeah it kind of seemed to me that all Vets were linked with either eukanuba or science diet.

well thank you so much for your help
Old 10-06-2005, 07:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Dee
Dog's Name: Shoni

Wellness is an excellent natural holistic food. Don't let the vet sell you Science Diet. It's basically ground corn. Since Wellness is not one of the common "store" brands, your vet probably doesn't have a clue what it is. A good place to read the ingredients of a lot of different natural brands is PetFoodDirect's website. Click on "All Natural Dogfood" on the left. PetFoodDirect. On the screen with all the brand Logos just click on them and under "details" they will list the ingredients. Finding a petstore that carries some of those brands where you can get samples is a good way to see if your little guy likes them.
But, like I said, Wellness is one of those good one! No reason to change unless he isn't eating it like he should.

Furbaby's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 10:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via ICQ to charmypoo Send a message via AIM to charmypoo Send a message via MSN to charmypoo Send a message via Yahoo to charmypoo

Between those two foods, I would choose Eukanuba but like everyone said .. there are better foods. However, I do feed my pups Eukanuba Puppy because no other food is as tiny.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

thanks for all of your input and support, they are all very helpful. maybe i will stick with WELLNESS afterall. ( by the way, my vet gave me a free bag of science diet dog food) i guess he's paid by them or something, hahaha.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Dee
Dog's Name: Shoni

Quote:
Originally posted by CharmyPoo@Oct 6 2005, 07:56 PM
Between those two foods, I would choose Eukanuba but like everyone said .. there are better foods.* However, I do feed my pups Eukanuba Puppy because no other food is as tiny.
<div align="right">
[/QUOTE]
Speaking of tiny........Solid Gold makes an Adult food called "Just a Wee Bit" that is really tiny. I had a sample of it and Frosty loved it. Trouble is he needs a Senior food with less protien. I don't know about their 2 puppy foods. They aren't called Wee Bit, so may not be.

Furbaby's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement