Vaccination at same time as Neutering - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2006, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Beamer is getting neutered next Thursday and still needs his last set of puppy vaccinations. The vet office told me they can give Beamer the vaccine while asleep during the procedure. I've given benadryl before all of his other shots. If he's asleep, would they be able to tell if he has an allergic reation? Is it safe to do this way? I'm nervous about it. He had his rabies last week, and a set of puppy shots 2 weeks prior to the rabies, so he would need to get the last puppy shot by next Friday, or it will go beyond the 3-4 week spacing.

Thank you,
Michelle
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2006, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via AIM to msmagnolia

Good luck to Beamer with his surgery. I don't know anything about your original question, but maybe someone else will post with a suggestion.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

My vet told me that Wilson had to wait at least 30 days after his vacations to have his surgery (neuter and dental work at the same time). I think it has to do with the antibiotics he has to be on prior to and after his surgery.

I hope someone can give you a more clear cut answer!

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. ~ Maya Angelou
Deanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I dont know about how safe it is but lets just say... I wouldnt do it. I had to space everything out for kodie. Being sediated I would imagin to be enough stress on your little one at one time... not to mention a vaccine too! I would wait until after surgery and and your baby recovers. Just my two cents.

Goodluck with the neutering!!
Old 01-05-2006, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

I would not do vaccines and anesthesia at the same time.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

No way would I do everything together, either.

How old is Beamer now? Is he being neutered early or are you running late on the shots? Maybe the neutering could be put off for a few weeks?
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stick a fork in me.... I'm done.

No way would I do the shots and neutering at the same time. My vet had me wait between his rabies shot and neutering... I think about 3 weeks.
k/c mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 12:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Dee
Dog's Name: Shoni

No offense to our vet friends, but what is this guy thinking! Keep the stress on the little body to a minimum, I think, and space the shots out separate from everything else. I keep praying for a vet that has had Maltese or at least a toy dog, so they'll better understand what our little guys need. LadyMontava and Parker---please move to western Oregon!

Furbaby's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 01:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
No way would I do everything together, either.

How old is Beamer now? Is is being neutered early or are you running late on the shots? Maybe the neutering could be put off for a few weeks?[/B]

Beamer will be 4 months old. He is getting a 4th puppy shot, instead of the usual 3, because the breeder started early and the vet wanted him to be at least 16 weeks old for his last puppy shot.

I've signed him up for puppy kindergarden following his neutering so we wouldn't miss any of the classes during recovery, and changed my work schedule so, I can be home with him the following day along with the weekend.

I gave him benadryl before his rabies and puppy shots, and he had no reaction to any shots. What if I gave him his last puppy shots this Friday ( which would be a week after his rabies) and would make his puppy shots would be 3 weeks apart.

Thanks,
Michelle
Old 01-05-2006, 01:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via AIM to NewMom328

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure the normal age to neuter is 6-7 months (this is what the breeder told me). I think that 4 months would be a little young to get neutered. I would give him his last set of puppy shots (which I think they normally get around 4 months) and wait on the neuter. He only has to have his shots for puppy kindergarten, it isnt required for him to be neutered, so I would hold off on the neutering for a couple of months. Someone who actually knows would probably be able to answer with more confidence, but this is what I would do with my own dog.

NewMom328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement