Maltese puppies.. and cats! - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2006, 11:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I'm wondering if any of you have both a Maltese and a cat in your households.
When I get my puppy in the fall, my cat will be a little over 2 years old. She is terribly afraid of larger dogs, loves all others cats, and hasn't ever seen a dog smaller than herself!

What kind of experiences have all of you had concerning puppies and cats co-mingling?

MellieMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2006, 11:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

My daughter had two cats when she got her puppy last fall. One of the cats loves to play, tumble, snuggle with Bonsai but the other one stays his distance. I think it may depend on the cat's personality.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

I have always had cats and dogs together. Lady is a cat lovin' dog and prefers their company to that of other dogs. Whe I adopted her she really bonded with my then 18 year old white cat, Fanny. Fanny even slept in her bed with her!

I have two Siamese now who are pretty indifferent to Lady. My Lily (3 years old) would probably love a Maltese puppy, but gave up trying to get Lady to play chase with her.

I'd bet a puppy and two year old cat would get along really well together.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Thanks guys- I feel better now, so hopefully if I really do my best to pay attention to both of them and try to coordinate some "group" activities, they'll at least tolerate one another!

Thanks for your support!

MellieMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Now I hope this answer your question. My fluffs love my 15 lb cat he is bigger then they are and let me tell you he is boss around the malts to.
Attached Thumbnails
Maltese puppies.. and cats!-p2170003rz.jpg  
Char-Luv-4-Maltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stick a fork in me.... I'm done.

Quote:
Now I hope this answer your question. My fluffs love my 15 lb cat he is bigger then they are and let me tell you he is boss around the malts to.[/B]
Char, I so love the pictures of your cat with your Malts. The look on your cat's face is like he thinks he's a Malt, too. Just sooooo precious!!! When I saw this thread, I was hoping you'd post a picture!!
k/c mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via MSN to mwend

I LOVE that picture.

Chloe is my 5 lb almost 5 year old maltese. Snuggles is my almost 14 lb 9 year old cat. They co-exist. Chloe was a little scared of snuggles, but sometimes they do chase each other. It's pretty funny. I wish they could be friends like Char's! Maybe next time I'll get a pup and a kitten at the same time. Then they can be friends!

mwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via AIM to Brinkley & Neyland's Mom Send a message via Yahoo to Brinkley & Neyland's Mom

I have three cats that live with my two malts.
Callie has NOTHING to do with the dogs. She hates them...
Spencer was fine with them...and Brinkley would beat up on him quite frequently, and Spencer let him.

Littles was fine with them, but since Neyland came along, Brinkley has decided to chase and be mean to Littles, and Neyland has followed suit. It makes me VERY angry b/c she can't hardly ever sit in my lap and get love if the dogs are around.

Good luck...I guess the moral of my story is that it all depends on the individual dog and cat.

<span style="color:#990000">"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner </span>
Brinkley & Neyland's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I have a cat and a malt. .... Jazzy is 9...She is half persian so she doesn't really like anyone but herself. LOL...

When Noel first came home with use Jazzy totally ignored her. Would just turn away from her. Noel was a little curious but never really got to close then one day they found thierselves nose to nose so Noel chased her well of course Jazzy ran...well Noel was like hot dogs a playmate .. this went one for a while till one day Jazzy decided to chase Noel well now Noel loves to pick at Jazzy until she chases her...LOL

SO I gues moral of my story is they both tolerate each other. Not friends yet but I am holding out hope.

<span style="font-family:Tahoma"><div align="center">Holly and Noel</span>
HollyHobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

We had our cat, Mama, for 10 years when we first brought our little 14 week out malt, Deja, into the household. At first the cat was miffed and disappeared for four days. We were very concerned, but she soon returned. I think the cat decided that this was still the best loving home going. The cat and dog play one upmanship...they will both be lying on the bed but each will try to be the one closest to our heads. Deja is a picky eater and will often leave her food but if she thinks the cat is around to eat her food, she gobbles it up fast.

Deja is now 7 months old, and the cat/dog relationship is evolving daily. What was first a tolerating atitude for the cat is gradully warming and I have seen the two of them lying side by side (not often, but it has happened). Deja really loves the cat, but the cat is taking her time to let Deja know she realy likes her too.
Advertisement