HOW DID YOU STOP THE BARKING!!??????????? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2007, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Please....We need your advise as to how did you train your Maltese to stop barking at everyone that comes into your home and everyone they meet outside? Our baby boy is 14 1/2 weeks old and I'd like to stop the barking habits that he's already getting into. He also barks at some people we meet on the streets (from day one) and everyone that comes into our home. We've tried holding his mouth shut, while saying "Quiet," but that only seems to help IF I've got him in arms reach. I've read that we shouldn't pick them up when they're barking, or that will only validate the whole barking problem. I've tried the can of pennies as well. Which works nicely at the time...Yet, I can't go tossing a can on the ground outside- everytime we meet some. The squirt of water doesn't faze him one bit either. He's a very smart young man and has very strong dominent issues. However, I've been working daily with these issues and he's getting better. It's just that my family (husband especially) can't stand a barking dog that you can't stop! Please let me know of any ways that has worked for you! I'd greatly, deeply and sincerely appreciate any advise!!!!

Christine
malteselove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2007, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Please....We need your advise as to how did you train your Maltese to stop barking at everyone that comes into your home and everyone they meet outside? Our baby boy is 14 1/2 weeks old and I'd like to stop the barking habits that he's already getting into. He also barks at some people we meet on the streets (from day one) and everyone that comes into our home. We've tried holding his mouth shut, while saying "Quiet," but that only seems to help IF I've got him in arms reach. I've read that we shouldn't pick them up when they're barking, or that will only validate the whole barking problem. I've tried the can of pennies as well. Which works nicely at the time...Yet, I can't go tossing a can on the ground outside- everytime we meet some. The squirt of water doesn't faze him one bit either. He's a very smart young man and has very strong dominent issues. However, I've been working daily with these issues and he's getting better. It's just that my family (husband especially) can't stand a barking dog that you can't stop! Please let me know of any ways that has worked for you! I'd greatly, deeply and sincerely appreciate any advise!!!!

Christine[/B]

Hi,
I have two maltese. One is 14 months, the other is 7 months. We pretty much so have Sam (who is 14 months) to stop barking. We have had him since a puppy. The other one (Lucy) is new to our home and we are working on her. The main thing we do is to tap them on the nose and say NO BARK. Very sternly. Its funny, when Lucy barks because some one is coming in the house, Sam looks up at us as if to say "I'm not barking". We have constantly said very sternly NO BARK and a tap on the nose and he got the message. Lucy is taking a little longer to get the idea, but she is much better than when we got her. So just hang in there. It does take a little time for them to get it, because this is what their breed does. Once they understand it, just a stern NO BARK when someone is coming does the trick.

Nancy
sammysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

because this is what their breed does

Guess I'm lucky - I've only heard Martin bark twice since I've had him (a bit over a month now), and it surprised both of us!!
Old 08-26-2007, 01:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Hi,

I'm working on the same thing with little Izzy. I usually use the "TSHHH" sound that Cesar Milan makes and touch her somewhere to distract her. I try really hard to stay calm and lower the voices of others around me if necessary. It's working. Now when I make the sound she stops pretty quickly for most things...some are harder than others especially if her brothers are riled up too. But we are getting there.

Leslie
wooflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 01:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I wouldn't hold his mouth shut or tap him on the nose. I believe in Positive training. Just remember, maltese are dogs and dogs bark. I know sometimes the barking can get out of hand, but really positive training is the way to go. I have a book called The Loved Dog. I have not had a chance to read it yet, but I saw the person who wrote it on Oprah and decided to get her book.
precious paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 01:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Tapping on the nose IS positive training - it's drawing their attention AWAY from the thought and asking them to pay attention to you instead.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Tapping on the nose IS positive training - it's drawing their attention AWAY from the thought and asking them to pay attention to you instead.[/B]
Really, I was told that tapping a dog on the nose hurts them. I am not positive about that though and will have to look into it.
precious paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janet
Dog's Name: Koby (Angel Scooby & Koko)

Quote:
Quote:
Tapping on the nose IS positive training - it's drawing their attention AWAY from the thought and asking them to pay attention to you instead.[/B]
Really, I was told that tapping a dog on the nose hurts them. I am not positive about that though and will have to look into it.

[/B]

I think there is a difference between tapping gently to get their attention and hitting with force, but either way our Malts are so tiny and for me any type of hitting is not an option, all I feel that would cause is fear of your hands, at least that's how I feel about it.
We have great success with the squirt bottle, the minute the boys see me get that out it's instant quiet, it might take a squirt or two to stop them both because one leads the other, but once we get silence and it stays quiet they get lots of praise for being good, that works for us
Old 08-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I wouldn't hold his mouth shut or tap him on the nose. I believe in Positive training. Just remember, maltese are dogs and dogs bark. I know sometimes the barking can get out of hand, but really positive training is the way to go. I have a book called The Loved Dog. I have not had a chance to read it yet, but I saw the person who wrote it on Oprah and decided to get her book.[/B]
I watched the auther of the Loved Dog on Oprah and went to the book store and checked out her book. She likes the water bottle idea, to control barking. However, my puppy likes the water- so it's no big deal to get squirt in the face or body. So, so much for that idea~

I did read something on a different web site this morning and I'm going to start it this afternoon. What you do is have a family member go outside and ring the doorbell, once Koda starts to bark, you say, "Good bark." Then you follow that by saying "Quiet" WHILE waving a tasty treat in front of his nose. He'll stop the barking, because he'll be more interested in what YOU now have!! It's something you must do many many times. Eventually, he will perform it like a trick. Once he's got it down pat, THEN, and only then, can you try it out in a real life situation.

I'll let you all know how it goes~
Thanks for your replies!!!!!!!!!!!! They're always appreciated.
malteselove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:

Christine[/B]
I bought a PetAlert zapper (approx $25.00) that was mentioned on here somewhere earlier this summer.
It works good, follow the instructions.
I use it only when really needed or Im afraid they'll get used to it. Also it confuses/scares one if it's not barking.
starry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement