Comfortis - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Zoe, Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin)

So I picked up the Comfortis today and gave it to my two at dinner this evening. Zoe ate hers like she would a yummy treat. I gave Jett his and he took it happily and then I noticed him rolling around on the carpet. I was panicked for a minute then noticed the pill was also on the carpet and he was rolling on the pill like he does nasty smelling stuff he finds in the yard. So I picked it up and gave it to him again. He did thhe same thing. So when I picked it up the 3rd time I noticed a smell. It was sooooo familiar but I couldn't place it. I had to give it to him about 5 times before he actually ate it. And then he ate only half and I had to feed him the other half. He just wanted to roll in it. It wasn't until later this evening that I figured out the smell. It smelled like mold. Is that normal??? Did I get a bad batch? The expiration date is for 2010. Jamie??? Anyone???
Crystal&Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2008, 09:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pat
Dog's Name: Archie, Abbey, Ava, Mona Lisa and Tinker

I don't know the answer, but I'm interested in Comfortis and want to bump your question back up to the top......

Archie, Ava and Abbey
Life is Good!!!....and keeps gettin' better!!!

To get to Ava's FB page...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ava/2...9759780?ref=hl
The A Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
I don't know the answer, but I'm interested in Comfortis and want to bump your question back up to the top......[/B]
No kidding, I was planning on doing Comfortis for the new puppy. I want all the info I can get!
domino_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Gosh it's hard when you're anxiously waiting for an answer. LOL I'm not worried about Jett's health or anything because he is acting perfectly normal. Just was curious if maybe I got a bad batch and would it affect the effectivness of the product. And I guess next time I'll smear the pill in some of his canned food or something really yummy.

Also wondered if anyone else's Malt would rather roll in it then eat it. Probably not. If there is ever going to be an oddball in the group, it'll be my boy Jett.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via AIM to dr.jaimie Send a message via Yahoo to dr.jaimie

i havent smelled the product and havent heard of anyone smelling anything. perhaps call the number on the box and see what they say. if the rep comes by i will ask him.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
i havent smelled the product and havent heard of anyone smelling anything. perhaps call the number on the box and see what they say. if the rep comes by i will ask him.[/B]
When it's time to give the next dose to your 3, would you mind taking a whiff?? :P

That's a really good suggestion, I'll call the company now and see what they say. Thanks Jaimie. So I take it that means none of yours wanted to roll in it?
Old 04-24-2008, 01:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Ok so I just got off the phone with I believe a vet tech from the company that makes Comfortis. Her name is Maureen and all I have to say is wow, I'm really impressed with their customer service and the fact that they take any possible problem very seriously. She's just a lovely lovely lady. So far my boy Jett is the only one that they've heard of wanting to roll on the pill rather than eat it. In fact it gave her quite a chuckle for the day. She checked the lot number and there were no other complaints listed, but she does have that on file now in case someone else has the same thing happen to them. She did say that she herself has noticed kind of a 'woodsy' smell to the pill when she gave it to her dog. Which maybe 'earthy' is more of what I smelled then moldy. When I suggested 'earthy' she agreed. So if it had been moldy, Jett would be showing some symptoms by now and she feels it's totally fine, just that since he isn't eating it right away like ALL the other dogs, and it got kind of wet, I noticed the smell more.

So now I'm curious. Would someone please take a good whiff of the pill before they give it to their fluffbutt and tell me if they notice an odor?
Old 01-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Comfortis has a moldy smell

I ordered Comfortis from a pharmacy in Canada. When I opened the first pill I was overwhelmed by the awful moldy smell. I had given my Maltese Comfortis in the past, but had never ordered from this source. I called the company and the pharmacy and after much brouha ha, they agreed to replace it. Well- here we are over a month later, and the replacement arrived. I opened the first pill and wham! Same stinky moldy smell. I have a call into my vet to see if I have received two bad batches or if I just didn't notice the smell before.
Abbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Jackie
Dog's Name: Pippa, Cozette & Tiffany

I use comfortis and it always smells unpleasant to me.

socalyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brenda
Dog's Name: Jodi

No I don't use Comfortis but do have to find a replacement for Sentinel soon. Since it's 2010 expiry are you going to replace it with another box ? Oh and it's nice to hear about great customer service too.