Do dogs hold grudges? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2008, 09:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

We left Ollie home all day yesterday, which is rare that we do that. (we went to the beach for the day). The few times I have done this he just acts so aloof towards me for the next few days. Not as cuddly and paying more attention to everyone else BUT me. In the a.m. he usually stays in bed with me even after Pete gets up but today he followed Pete instead, etc. Makes me feel super guilty. Today Pete is going to do some errands and bringing the girls (skin kids) and I think I'm going to stay home and spend time with Ollie, lol.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stick a fork in me.... I'm done.

My inclination is to say that they don't hold grudges but is it possible that you act differently toward him in these situations? I know that they are so in tune with our own actions and changes that maybe his actions are based on that ??
k/c mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Dianne
Dog's Name: CeeCee (Jacob Maltese) Rain (Bonnie's Angel)

Yes, they get their little feelings hurt when you go off, even for a short period of time. When I come home CeeCee acts like she doesn't know me for a short while. It just kills me!!!!! When I come in I am ready to hug her and calling her name, she will run to me and then turn around and run in the opposite direction, so funny!!!! She soon warms up thought. Give little Ollie lots of love today, they soon forget and are just as loving as always!!!! I think they just pout a little because you have left them all alone.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Suzan
Dog's Name: Keiko & Nikki

I haven't heard of that dogs hold grudges, though I may be completely wrong. Someone please correct me if that is the case, because I'd like to know. Dog behavior is fascinating to me.

I know that smaller dogs are very sensitive, but it doesn't appear that a canine's thought process works like a human's. Humans get angry or hurt and retaliate by acting aloof. Although it sure seems that our dogs act that way sometimes. I think that dogs have to "get over" the separation anxiety by being aloof for a while, but I don't exactly know why they do it except maybe they are hurt that you left them. But that's different than holding a grudge, right?
Nikki's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

I've heard they don't--but one of my friends has a yorkie, and this dog definitely holds grudges! She hates getting her frontline every month, and after it goes on, she won't even come NEAR my friend for the rest of that day and won't sleep with her in bed that night!! If my friend comes over and pets my dogs or someone else's dogs, same thing- Baby ignores her completely!!!!!
Old 07-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

QUOTE (Nikki's Mom @ Jul 13 2008, 10:58 AM)
Quote:
I haven't heard of that dogs hold grudges, though I may be completely wrong. Someone please correct me if that is the case, because I'd like to know. Dog behavior is fascinating to me.

I know that smaller dogs are very sensitive, but it doesn't appear that a canine's thought process works like a human's. Humans get angry or hurt and retaliate by acting aloof. Although it sure seems that our dogs act that way sometimes. I think that dogs have to "get over" the separation anxiety by being aloof for a while, but I don't exactly know why they do it except maybe they are hurt that you left them. But that's different than holding a grudge, right?[/B]
Yeah, I know that "grudge" is a people-behavior word, but I didn't know how else to phrase it. All I know is that something in his little head is out of whack whenever his routine is disrupted and he seems to take it out on me for some reason!
Old 07-13-2008, 12:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I know alot of people say they are incapable of holding grudges. Any of those people are more than welcome to come to my house, put any form of hat on Bella's head, and then wait for the cold shoulder. It's taken 4 years but I've learned there are certain things I'm not allowed to do if I want my dog to love me back.

thinkpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 12:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

I think it is not a good idea to direct human emotions on dogs.

Anytime a dog's schedule is changed drastically (and suddenly in this case), it can throw them out of whack. You see puppies forgetting housetraining, older dogs acting off, etc. You changed what he knows and now he's just a little unsure.

IMO, the best course of action is to treat him as normally as possible and do not fuss over it. He'll fall back in gear in no time.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

All I know is that Rylee gets mad at me when I groom her. She avoids me and will sit with anyone else but me. She still comes to bed at night.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stick a fork in me.... I'm done.

QUOTE (JMM @ Jul 13 2008, 12:15 PM)
Quote:
I think it is not a good idea to direct human emotions on dogs.

Anytime a dog's schedule is changed drastically (and suddenly in this case), it can throw them out of whack. You see puppies forgetting housetraining, older dogs acting off, etc. You changed what he knows and now he's just a little unsure.

IMO, the best course of action is to treat him as normally as possible and do not fuss over it. He'll fall back in gear in no time.[/B]
What a great way to say it... this makes total sense.

So, the Frontline example, the hats... and Ollie's situation ... it's not that they are holding grudges or mad... they just had something "different" done to them... something that may feel uncomfortable and they react with apprehension afterward....

So in Deborah's situation... she is avoiding her because she (Deborah) is the one who did that "thing" to her ... so Rylee wants to make sure it doesn't happen again.... right?
k/c mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement