teeth questions - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2008, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

At what age do maltese puppies start to lose their baby teeth? What age would all the adult teeth be in?

One more question, I was thinking of getting Jackson neutered in a month. Now I'm rethinking only because I read that alot of you get your babies spayed/neutered at the same time as getting their baby teeth pulled. What age should I get him neutered then so his remaining baby teeth can be pulled at the same time? I would prefer to have him go under anesthesia just the one time.

The reason I'm asking is because I just brought my 16.5 week puppy to the vet and the vet doesn't believe he is that age. The vet says if my puppy is that age, he would have all his adult front teeth in by now. She says he has no front adult teeth in at all. She actually said all his front adult teeth should have been in by 3 months of age. I actually just noticed yesterday that he is missing one front baby tooth. The issue came up because I was wondering as I was paying why he didn't get his rabies shot today. Because the vet believes he's much younger, she didn't give it to him yet.

Thanks so much in advance for any help.
kanela is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I did not have Ava Jane spayed until she was 11 months old, because her adult teeth were very slow to come in. That is the latest I ever waited; both of my previous maltese were spayed at 6 months and their teeth came in much quicker. I'm not sure there is a hard and fast rule on age and when it should happen, but hopefully some other members will be able to provide you with better advice. Good luck!
jlhajmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I waited until Bonbon was about eight months before having her spayed because she was so little - under 4 lbs. She had to
have about five baby teeth pulled at the same time. I had Eloise done at 6 months, which I think is a good age unless there
is any reason not to. Maybe JMM or Dr. Jaimie will see your post and give you a more definitive answer. I'm not sure
exactly when the baby teeth are supposed to fall out - but they don't always do what they're "supposed to."
Old 10-04-2008, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

Mine seem to get their incisors around 4 months (16 weeks) and have those in my 5 months. Then the rest start coming out. Each dog is a little different.

I would neuter at 6-7 months and pull any baby teeth that have not fallen out. Maltese and other toy breeds are notorious for having retained baby teeth.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via AIM to dr.jaimie Send a message via Yahoo to dr.jaimie

front 2 middle incisors get loose/fall out at 3 mo then next 2 front incisiors at 4 mo..next two at 5 mo and canines at 6mo. sometimes there is a small delay but that is the rule and how we age a pup. so no all the front teeth are not out at 3mo
Old 10-05-2008, 12:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: London (12/20/07) & Preston (03/25/09)

First, I would get a new Vet. Not all dogs lose their teeth at the same rate. A Labrador is not going to be the same as a Maltese. London didn't start losing any teeth until she was about 4 months old, give or take a couple of weeks. They also came out very slowly -- She is now 9 months old, and it looks like she has lost all of her teeth (and the adult ones are fully in), but for a while the adult teeth were pushing through so incredibly slow that I thought for sure she'd have to have teeth pulled.

I waited to book London's spay appointment until I was sure any teeth that were going to fall out on their own, did. Like I said, she's 9 months old, and is getting spayed on Tuesday October 7th. Ideally I would have booked her appointment for August, but I procrastinated. I would book your little one's appointment for between the ages of 7-8 months of age if you're wanting to get remaining baby teeth pulled at the same time as the spay/neuter.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for your information. Yeah, I'm not sure about this vet. I didn't really feel right with her (felt very rushed actually).
kanela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hi all,

My Bianca is now exactly 11 months old and my boyfriend found a tooth this morning in our bed. At first I was worried, but then I thought could this be a baby tooth? She is very much slowly maturing. She chews all the time. I can't believe we actually found the tooth. Wow! I haven't had her spayed yet and she hasn't even gone through heat yet. She is almost a year old. Shouldn't she have lost all the teeth by now and gone through heat? This is my first time having a Maltese.

Bianca04242008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

Maltese and toy dogs in general are notorious for having retained baby teeth. I would get her spayed ASAP and any remaining baby teeth removed.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Melissa
Dog's Name: Maggie and Abbie
Send a message via Yahoo to Missy&Maggie

QUOTE (Bianca04242008 @ Mar 24 2009, 10:52 AM)
Quote:
Hi all,

My Bianca is now exactly 11 months old and my boyfriend found a tooth this morning in our bed. At first I was worried, but then I thought could this be a baby tooth? She is very much slowly maturing. She chews all the time. I can't believe we actually found the tooth. Wow! I haven't had her spayed yet and she hasn't even gone through heat yet. She is almost a year old. Shouldn't she have lost all the teeth by now and gone through heat? This is my first time having a Maltese.[/B]
It could very well be a baby tooth, but to know for sure I would take Bianca to Vet. I would have her spayed and have any other remaining baby teeth pulled for her health.
Missy&Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement