Adopted maltese - sneaky & aggressive, please help - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2008, 12:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

About 3 wks ago, I adopted my 3rd maltese. He's about 2 ys old, weighing in at 4 lbs and very sweet, but also sneaky and bites strangers or family.
Since bringing him into our home we have gotten him to get along with our other 2 Malteses, at first he wanted to attack them, now he wants to play, but they ignore him. My main problem is that whenever anyone comes in, he gets very aggressive. We have asked family and friends to ignore him when coming in the door, and wait for him to come to them, but not to touch or pet him. He will finally wag his tail and act like everything is okay, but without warning will try to bite them. He jumped up and nipped both grandchildren from the back as they walked through the room, without showing any behavior before. Family and strangers have tried treats, by throwing them to him when he comes near and then finally when he acts okay and comes with a wagging tail, will give a treat by hand, "but", he acts like he wants them to play or pet him, then without warning will try to bite them. He's very lovable with my husband and I and also my daughter who comes over, but we can't seem to get him to stop being aggressive to others. He's very sneaky with his aggrssiveness. Any ideas? I welcome any advice. Kathy
sissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2008, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Linda
Dog's Name: Bonnie Marie, my angel and Bellarata's Bounces with Wolves, Bounce - St. Patrick's Baby!

Hi Kathy - you need either a great trainer or a behaviorist, right away. If he's showing signs of agression, and biting, that's serious stuff that must be addressed. He could bite the wrong person, and you could have a lawsuit on your hands and possibly have to put him down. Before it gets to that point, please get a behaviorist! Your vet may be able to recommend one.

Good luck!

Bounce, you're the joy and sparkle in my life (with the heart shaped tongue).
Bonnie, you're my sweet girl who will never be forgotten or replaced.
Bonnie's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Christine
Dog's Name: Mia, Leo and Ana

First, bless you for adopting this special little boy. I'm no expert, but I there are many on here that can help you on your way.

I did have a malt (who was I believe a mix), who had aggresive problems. Agression to me equates to fear. Do you know his background? Was he abused? I think I would call your vet and ask for a reccomendation of a behavorist, to help the little guy not be fearful anymore.

I do wish you all the best, and congrats on your new very special little boy.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

QUOTE (Bonnie's Mommie @ Dec 6 2008, 12:15 PM)
Quote:
Hi Kathy - you need either a great trainer or a behaviorist, right away. If he's showing signs of agression, and biting, that's serious stuff that must be addressed. He could bite the wrong person, and you could have a lawsuit on your hands and possibly have to put him down. Before it gets to that point, please get a behaviorist! Your vet may be able to recommend one.

Good luck![/B]
I agree 100%. Since he is a rescue, you have no idea what his background is. He may have been abused at some point which caused his aggression. Did you get him from a rescue group? Was he fostered first and evaluated before being placed into your home?

Biting is serious business as Bonnie's Mom said. Even a little dog can do serious damage to a child's face. Having an aggressive dog is like having a loaded gun in your house and having grandchildren around makes this situation even worse.

Please consult a professional asap and have him evaluated. You should also contact the rescue organization you got him from to let them know what is going on.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks to all who answered my call for help. The only history we have is that my adopted male maltese was brought into the local Humane Society with another maltese female and a 3 mth old maltese puppy! We assume that my male and the female may be litter mates and the puppy, their child! My grandaughter n law has the female and another lady took the puppy. When my daughter called me that the Malteses were at the shelter I rushed over--- the puppy was taken 1st, then I decided to take the male, but hated to leave the female, so my daughter took it for the grandaughter n law-- so I had 5 Malteses for a week, whoa!!!!
At the shelter the malteses were at the back of the cage, scared and very aggressive, long matted hair, covered in feces and urin and very skinny! We had to take the dogs out of the cage with a towel, so they couldn't bite. We were told the adults were about 2 yrs old, and the people that brought them to the shelter in a cage were as dirty and nasty as the dogs. Why would someone have these 3 maltese, not care for them and then dump them at the shelter!
I worked with both the adults, cleaned them up, got them to trust me, but can't get my male to not be aggressive with others. The adult female, is a sweet heart also, but afraid of strangers, but doesn't offer to bite if left alone or won't attack--- where my male if not watched, will bite you when you least expect it.
He is such a sweet heart in all other ways. We think these dogs were never out of a cage, the pads on their feet felt like newborn baby. When taken out doors, they were scared to death, and acted like they had never seen grass. The slightest noise scared them to death! I have a kennel attached to my house with a dog door from the inside. The male now goes outside with my other 2 malteses, took some work for him, but he now has the idea down.
My other concern is that my male is 4 lbs, and every bone in his body feels like it's coming through his skin, I took him to the Vet and we are trying to build him up with Purina EN, he's very active and eats good, but he has very little mussel or fat over his bones. I've always used Science Diet-- but I have another male that has seizures, I read on your list about the rosemary in dog food may contribute to his seizures, now I need to find a good dog food that will benefit all 3 of the malteses-- any ideas? I've also found a Vet, that can help me with the male and his behavior issues. Sorry this is so long--- Kathy
sissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 04:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

It sounds like there could very well be a lot of abuse in this poor babies past. I definitely agree with the others. I would try a find a trainer that uses positive training methods and see if he/she can help you. It's so wonderful that you've taken this boy into your home and I really hope that you are able to find help. I can't understand those people that dumped them off. The thought of dropping my two off at a shelter makes me physically ill.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

QUOTE (sissy @ Dec 6 2008, 12:08 PM)
Quote:
About 3 wks ago, I adopted my 3rd maltese. He's about 2 ys old, weighing in at 4 lbs and very sweet, but also sneaky and bites strangers or family.
Since bringing him into our home we have gotten him to get along with our other 2 Malteses, at first he wanted to attack them, now he wants to play, but they ignore him. My main problem is that whenever anyone comes in, he gets very aggressive. We have asked family and friends to ignore him when coming in the door, and wait for him to come to them, but not to touch or pet him. He will finally wag his tail and act like everything is okay, but without warning will try to bite them. He jumped up and nipped both grandchildren from the back as they walked through the room, without showing any behavior before. Family and strangers have tried treats, by throwing them to him when he comes near and then finally when he acts okay and comes with a wagging tail, will give a treat by hand, "but", he acts like he wants them to play or pet him, then without warning will try to bite them. He's very lovable with my husband and I and also my daughter who comes over, but we can't seem to get him to stop being aggressive to others. He's very sneaky with his aggrssiveness. Any ideas? I welcome any advice. Kathy[/B]
I don't know if you have ever watched the show - It's me or the dog on the animal channel - many times she is shown training a dog on how to behave at the door. Just briefly before the door is opened she makes the dog(s) sit - it the dog doesn't not sit she will not open the door. If the dogs sits it's given a small treat, praise and must remain in the sit position. The person at the door is let in. If the dog breaks the sit position the person goes back outside. This is done until the dog understands what is asked of him. Once the person is inside and the dog has behaved the person should walk passed the dog ignoring him for a while. This can be practiced with family members or a friend on a daily bases until the dog understands. If you try this while you are at the door remain calm and stress free. They can sense if you are tense during the training.

site - victoria stilwell.com

http://www.victoriastilwell.com/

If your little one shows any aggression towards anyone that person should turn their backs to him with their arms folded and no eye contact and remaining still until he walks away or backs down.

After reading his story...he and the others must have been treated so badly :O(. It will take time to train him but I know he will catch on. Thank you for giving him and the others a loving homes.

3malteseboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Christine
Dog's Name: Mia, Leo and Ana

I just want to give you a hug, and your new baby

Of all the fur-babies in the world, these type of babies are extra extra extra special. They have so much love to give, but because of what they experienced, it is hard to for them to be trusting to show it. I am so glad he is in your loving arms.
So glad your vet is going to help you out.

There is also a show, that I try and watch all the time, "The dog Whisper". Ceaser is AMAZING.

http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/dogwhisperer/

There is not one dog, that he has not been able to rebilatate.

Let us know how you are coming along.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

How sad for that little guy and Bless your hearts!! Sounds to me like they came from a puppy mill type of situation...no human contact, no bounderies, no outside, no love. How sad for the three of them and how lucky to be in your loving home.

I am definitely no expert but there are a lot on here who are, but I do know that you have to treat this one as if he were a puppy starting out and train as if it were day one.

My Ralphie was a rescue and he came with a lot of issues and fear biting was one of them, so was food aggression. He is the most loving little boy that you will ever want to meet now but it took us months to gain his trust and love. Every now and then he gets afraids when he meets someone new but I tell them to ignore him and when he is ready he will greet them and it works for Ralphie. Pacino also helped in his rehabilitation.

I would definitely get a behaviorist but each milestone that he gets to will fill your heart with pride and a feeling that I can't even describe but it definitely feels great! Ralphie never stops wagging his tail and he always smiles! Yes, my boy smiles. And best of all....he and his brother, Pacino, make us smile.

Good luck,
Marie, Pacino & Ralpphie
Old 12-09-2008, 02:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

I actually would recommend against using Milan's methods with this dog. Physically assertive methods are contraindicated for fearful dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement