Ok to cut heartworm pill in half? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Thumbs up

Queso's monthly heartworm pill says it's for a 25 pound dog. We usually cut it in half and do one with breakfast and the other half with dinner. But I'm wondering if we can just skip the other half - she's only 6 lbs???

Originally we had tried to give her a whole pill but it made her sick and she threw it up, that is why we do halvsies now.

Thanks for any advice.

Ms. Queso Blanco Kolack - yes, she's a girl! - adopted by Kevin & Diane in December 2008
dkolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

No you cannot. The medication is not evenly distributed in the tablet. It also voids the guarantee the company provides on the product (if given properly and heartworm tested annually, they pay for treatment if the pet were to test positive). Heartgard chews must be chewed up by the dog. Interceptor pills can be chewed or swallowed whole.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

don't they have pills for smaller dogs???? that sounds like to many pounds for a small dog of that sort...they say the smaller the dog the more problems you have but i really and not sure about that..That is what my groomer says and vet..

hope all is ok
I thought i did this once but i will do it again..I am trying to get a pic of my sugar on my provile but really have no idea how to do this..I have been a fan of this website for about 1 year now..I love to get a cup of coffee and read about what all is going on in the lives of the furbabies..lol. My Sugar is spoiled and love every minute of it. My girls are grown and married and we have one grandchild age 8..Love family and going to church..
Love those Maltese.!!!!!!!!!
Sugarbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Interceptor/Sentinel has a 1-10# size, Heartgard just has 1-25# and Iverhart Max 6-12#
My vet recommended Interceptor over HG because it covers a wider variety of worms. Personally I'd just change brands.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

QUOTE (DeeDeeB @ May 8 2009, 11:59 AM)
Quote:
Interceptor/Sentinel has a 1-10# size, Heartgard just has 1-25# and Iverhart Max 6-12#
My vet recommended Interceptor over HG because it covers a wider variety of worms. Personally I'd just change brands.[/B]
I agree. We use Interceptor.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Carina
Dog's Name: Cadeau, Cadie, Cacia, CherryB, Cherish & Charm (Cloud, Clancy, Clouseau, Cameo & Calypso @ bridge)
Send a message via AIM to CloudClan Send a message via Yahoo to CloudClan

QUOTE (JMM @ May 8 2009, 10:56 AM)
Quote:
No you cannot. The medication is not evenly distributed in the tablet. It also voids the guarantee the company provides on the product (if given properly and heartworm tested annually, they pay for treatment if the pet were to test positive). Heartgard chews must be chewed up by the dog. Interceptor pills can be chewed or swallowed whole.[/B]

While I often trust Jackie's advice as least as much as many vets I know, I have to say that we were told by our vets in GA and our vets here in MD to cut the pill in half for Cameo as she was only 3 pounds. They also told us here that we could give a larger half to Cadeau.

What Jackie said is also what the vets told me. The company does not gauarntee it if you do not give the whole pill and the medicine may not be properly distrubuted through the pill. However, my vets (and again this is my vets in GA and here in MD) encouraged me to give less of the HeartGuard chew to Cameo especially given her size. The theory being that it may not be equally distributed, but it is highly ulikely that the majority of the medication would all be in just one half of the chew.

Once upon a time we used interceptor with Cameo, but stopped and I know there was a reason, but I no longer recall what it was. I don't know wether to blame my faulty memory on the fact that this is finals week or age.

CloudClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

I don't use Heartgard and do not generally recommend it for Maltese. It is contraindicated for dogs with seizures (common in the breed) and liver disease (common in the breed).
Old 05-08-2009, 11:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

QUOTE (JMM @ May 8 2009, 04:06 PM)
Quote:
I don't use Heartgard and do not generally recommend it for Maltese. It is contraindicated for dogs with seizures (common in the breed) and liver disease (common in the breed).[/B]

So what do you use? I was given Heartguard for my Fred. In Louisiana there are too many mosquitos not to use some sort of Hearworm preventive. Thanks
fredsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

I use Interceptor.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I use interceptor too

-Chrisman's Sir Mucho Moxie CDX RN RL1 -

In Memory of my beloved Mogie: October 15, 1994-October 15, 2007
Moxie'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement