Fleas! One Week After Advantage Applied? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Bellarata's StayPuft Marshmallow Man (Chowder! The Maltese) & Lana's Midnight Rambler (Darby/Pom)
Question

Hi everyone. I'm actually posting this for a friend who just adopted a chorkie from a rescue. He just called me freaking out because he found fleas all over her, even though the vet applied Advantage about one week ago at her first checkup.

She didn't have fleas when she was picked up, but soon he saw one on her after a few days at his house. He lives very close to the beach, and told me that since he's lived there he's found the occasional flea on himself, biting his leg or something, even though he's never had a pet in the house before this one puppy. His house is very clean, but I suggested a flea spray for the carpet? I don't know what to tell him. His vet said to come in and get the flea 'pill' which he's planning on doing asap.

But what gives w/the Advantage not working?

My two, Dexter and Rollo, use Frontline Plus, and haven't ever had a flea on them.

What do you guys do (who may have a high flea population around your home?) do about house fleas?

Thanks for ANY suggestions!

briones1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2009, 05:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

Sounds like an infestation. No product can keep all fleas off if the house and yard are infested. Treating the environment is key.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

QUOTE (briones1980 @ Jun 10 2009, 01:52 PM)
Quote:
Hi everyone. I'm actually posting this for a friend who just adopted a chorkie from a rescue. He just called me freaking out because he found fleas all over her, even though the vet applied Advantage about one week ago at her first checkup.

She didn't have fleas when she was picked up, but soon he saw one on her after a few days at his house. He lives very close to the beach, and told me that since he's lived there he's found the occasional flea on himself, biting his leg or something, even though he's never had a pet in the house before this one puppy. His house is very clean, but I suggested a flea spray for the carpet? I don't know what to tell him. His vet said to come in and get the flea 'pill' which he's planning on doing asap.

But what gives w/the Advantage not working?

My two, Dexter and Rollo, use Frontline Plus, and haven't ever had a flea on them.

What do you guys do (who may have a high flea population around your home?) do about house fleas?

Thanks for ANY suggestions![/B]
I find Frontline works the best out of all of the flea products. Also, a flea bath followed by the application of Frontline along with a thorough cleaning of the area is a must. The fleas drop eggs that look like black dirt and should be cleaned and disposed of immediately. Spraying the area with flea spray as a safeguard also helps. Everyone carries fleas they come in from the soles of your shoes so no matter how clean you are you need to be diligent about the monthly flea treatment.

Good luck.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Michele
Dog's Name: Lacy, Rylie, & London

You definitely have to treat and keep treating the environment as well. Also it's possible that in your area the fleas could be immune to advantage..fleas can become immune to a product over time. I found that frontline didn't work very well at all when I used it..but for others it does. I liked advantage of all the topicals but now I'm using Comfortis and so far it is working great!
Old 06-10-2009, 10:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I second comfortis. Buttons has terrible allergies & the advantage just wasn't cutting it.
bbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Bellarata's StayPuft Marshmallow Man (Chowder! The Maltese) & Lana's Midnight Rambler (Darby/Pom)

Thanks everyone. He said he did a thorough cleaning, flea bath, and will be getting comfortis tomorrow. I passed on the info about treating an infestation in the house on a regular basis.

briones1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement