HELP! Maltese puppy peeing everywhere! - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy

hey guys

My new maltese puppy is named Megan and she is 13 weeks old. ive had her for a month today.

My problem is that she is peeing all over house. ive tried everything that experienced dog owners in my family have told me like: time-out, yell "no", spanking (wood spoon not metal dont worry lol), leaving in crate, giving less water etc. Non of these things work at all because when I let her out she pees anyway but gets sneakier every time.

I know Megan is still a pup but she is 13 weeks old and should know better by now. my dad had a Labrador that was potty trained by 9 weeks old he said. i know she knows better because she hides to go pee and won't let me catch her afterwards because shes knows she is so naughty. shes always goes under our dresser and it is impossible to get her out! the other day she did a poo poo under there and hole bedroom stinks now.

if anybody knows how i can make the naughty princess stop peeing all the darn time i would much appreciate it!

THANKS!

-KAREN

Megansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brit
Dog's Name: Cosy from Bonnie's Angel Maltese
Send a message via AIM to Cosy

Maltese are not labs. They have much smaller bladders and go more often. 13 weeks is too young to expect perfection
and since the breeder let her go at 8 wks or so she is going to need extra training. Reputable breeders don't let them
go to their new homes before 12 weeks.
You will need to contain her in an area where she can play and go on a pee pad (if you're not taking her out every
20 minutes). She needs to be crated when you cannot watch her. That way she won't go on your carpet.

Please buy from reputable
exhibitor breeders or Rescue.
Cosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Michele
Dog's Name: Lacy, Rylie, & London

Is this for real?? I really hope you aren't hitting your dog with a wooden spoon..or anything.

Toy breed puppies are COMPLETELY different than large breeds like a labrador and mature much slower. Their bladders are also much smaller. Maltese shouldn't leave their breeder until at least 12 weeks of ago so you got your puppy way too young. I've never heard of a toy breed puppy being 100% potty trained by 13 weeks. They are really just starting to get full bladder control around that time.

How often do you take your puppy out? You ought to be taking out every 30 minutes to an hour during times when your puppy is out and playing. When your puppy potties outside (or on the pad if that's what you use) you should praise and give a treat immediately so they associate good things with pottying in the right spot. I do like crate training if done correctly.

Your puppy most likely now associates going to the bathroom with getting scolded and hit (spanked). She doesn't understand that she is going in the wrong place..just knows that you seeing her go will get her in trouble. That is why she hides. She's afraid of you. Positive reinforcement is ALWAYS better and more effective than negative..negative only teaches your dog to be afraid of you.

Also, if your puppy is really peeing very often, you should have a urinalysis done to check for a urinary tract infection.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pat
Dog's Name: Archie, Abbey, Ava, Mona Lisa and Tinker

Have you tried crate training Her? I mean bringing her out of her crate only to pee and go poopies either outside or on a pee pee pad?

I have a nine month old pup who is not quite trained yet, so I know how fustrating it is.

Each morning I take her out of her play pen and carry her outsdie....she always pee pee's and poopie's. But she'll do the same thing indoors

I'm hoping in time she'll follow my other girl, (Abbey) and do what she does. Good luck!!!!!

Archie, Ava and Abbey
Life is Good!!!....and keeps gettin' better!!!

To get to Ava's FB page...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ava/2...9759780?ref=hl
The A Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Diana
Dog's Name: Lola

Please don't spank her or deprive her of water. You can give water at scheduled times to help regulate when she pees but she's a growing puppy. Be more patient with her. She's still little and doesn't know any better.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Linda
Dog's Name: Bonnie Marie, my angel and Bellarata's Bounces with Wolves, Bounce - St. Patrick's Baby!

PLEASE do not spank your dog, it only confuses her. She's far too young to be fully trained. Bonnie was about 6 months old before she was accurate. Do a search on this site for potty training and you'll find a lot of information that can help you.

Again - please do not EVER spank/hit/whatever you want to call it. I don't care what your experienced family members tell you, it's wrong period.

Bounce, you're the joy and sparkle in my life (with the heart shaped tongue).
Bonnie, you're my sweet girl who will never be forgotten or replaced.
Bonnie's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Stick a fork in me.... I'm done.

Oh, gosh, I had to sort of squint to read your post so I couldn't read it all clearly because of what I was reading and I just can't handle it. I honestly didn't read it all but I saw that you are hitting your Malt with a spoon and this truly BREAKS MY HEART!!!!!

I can hardly believe this is for real. I hope it is not but just in case it is ...

Malts are VERY sensitive and loving and devoted and your baby must wonder why you are hitting her. It is up to YOU to train her. If she isn't getting it, it is YOUR fault. If you hit her for peeing she will learn to not pee in front of you. I see that she hides to pee..... that is because you are hitting her. She is JUST A BABY for goodness sakes!! You will hurt the relationship she has with you. What you are doing is NEGATIVE reinforcement/training. This should not be used on any dog and esp. a Malt.

I was having a hard time training my 7-month old Claire (I got her at 7 months) and I learned a lot myself when she was spayed. I got great advice here telling me to watch her all the time and I just wasn't getting what that meant. But when she was spayed I pretty much kept her in a doggy stroller to keep her from playing with Kallie and Catcher. So she had zero chance for an accident. I took her to the pads a lot and said "Hurry up" and sort of pointed to the pads. She would go and I would give her a teeny treat. We did this for two weeks and now she hardly ever has an accident. And I can say Hurry Up and she will pee even if a tiny bit, because she is trained to that word.

Here are some threads to hopefully help you. For your baby's sake I hope you will change what you are doing ...

SM Thread - Examples or Tips on How To Potty Train

FROM JMM: SM Thread - 4 Months Today

1. Every accident is really your fault for not getting him outside in time.

2. Playing puppies may need to go every 10-15 minutes. Sleeping puppies can usually go for 1 hour more than their age in months during the day, but for toy breeds with little bladders it can be a bit less.

3. If your dog has the opportunity to have an accident, you gave it too much freedom. Crate time when you can't watching and leashing your puppy to you are the ideal ways to ensure supervision. Crate time is especially important so that dogs learn how to hold it for brief periods of time.

4. Motivate your dog to go in the right place. Give good treats and praise when he goes outside every time. Go out with him on a leash each time and praise him. Ignore accidents in the house. Do not punish him.

5. Set a schedule, especially for feeding and play time. This will help him to need to potty on a schedule. Wake up, outside, eat, outside, play, outside, nap, outside. Eating on a schedule will tend to have him defecating on a schedule which can help aid in housetraining.

SM Thread - Potty Training Frustrations
k/c mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

QUOTE (Megansmom @ Jul 2 2009, 07:13 PM)
Quote:
hey guys

My new maltese puppy is named Megan and she is 13 weeks old. ive had her for a month today.

My problem is that she is peeing all over house. ive tried everything that experienced dog owners in my family have told me like: time-out, yell "no", spanking (wood spoon not metal dont worry lol), leaving in crate, giving less water etc. Non of these things work at all because when I let her out she pees anyway but gets sneakier every time.

I know Megan is still a pup but she is 13 weeks old and should know better by now. my dad had a Labrador that was potty trained by 9 weeks old he said. i know she knows better because she hides to go pee and won't let me catch her afterwards because shes knows she is so naughty. shes always goes under our dresser and it is impossible to get her out! the other day she did a poo poo under there and hole bedroom stinks now.

if anybody knows how i can make the naughty princess stop peeing all the darn time i would much appreciate it!

THANKS!

-KAREN[/B]
Karen,

Megan is a toy breed Maltese dog who should have remained with her "real" mother until she was 12 weeks old. Toy breeds mature at a slower rate than bigger breed dogs, but that is only a part of the equation.

Training methods have changed over the years and training by using punishment is not going to produce the results you are looking for. Instead, you are instilling fear and confusion in your puppy as well as jeopardizing her health by giving her less water.

I would suspect that you may get some very upset people responding to your post. You should never never never spank your puppy with anything, let alone an object such as a wood spoon. Not only are you making her fearful of human beings, you could cause bruising or break her fragile bones. That is called animal abuse. You are instilling fear and/or aggression in her.

I understand that you are coming here for help, and that is a good thing. Stop doing all of the things that you have been doing, NOW. Educate yourself by searching here and other places on the Internet regarding "positive reinforcement training." You need to get Megan on a schedule for both feeding and pottying. She needs to be taken outside after sleeping, after eating, after playing, and after napping. A maltese puppy should not be left unsupervised to run all over the house until she is potty trained. You need to either keep her right next to you where you can watch for signs that she may need to go out, or she needs to have a gated area, crate, or play pen where she is confined when you cannot supervise her. Please do not ever spank Megan and do not allow your family members to do it either. You are responsible for her emotional and physical health. She is entrusting you to teach her with kindness and love, in return she will give you a lifetime of devotion. Do not fail her and break her spirit.

Deb, Toto & Tuffy
totallytotontuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pat
Dog's Name: Pixie (and my precious Sassy in heaven)
Send a message via Yahoo to sassy's mommy

QUOTE (Megansmom @ Jul 2 2009, 08:13 PM)
Quote:
hey guys

THANKS! -KAREN[/B]
Hi Karen and welcome to SM.

Ok....we have a lot going wrong here. First of all 13 weeks is a very young baby and should NOT know better than to pee or poop on the floor. I think you may be giving her too much free space. You should purchase a baby gate and confine her to a small area, possibly your kitchen. An area that has hard flooring which is easy to clean and the pup can still see the family and see what is going on. You should always take her to potty before you bring her into other parts of the house to play. During play time stop after about 15 minutes and take her to potty again.

Spanking, please tell me you really don't spank her. Pups learn behaviors through positive rewards and are so eager to please. If she is hiding it is probably because she is frightened of the negative response. I think at this age she needs to be on a set schedule for potty training. Immediately after she wakes from naps she should be taken to her potty area. Immediately after eating she should be taken to her potty area. If you are very consistent, it won't take long and she will get into a set routine. Accidents may still happen but with positive rewards and praise she will learn in no time.

If you will let us know if you are potty box training, pad training, or outside training the SM members will be able to better help you.

There are products made for cleaning up accidents which remove the odor enzymes. If you use one of these products your baby won't be inclined to resoil the carpets in accident areas.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Wooden spoon not metal????????????
Please listen to all the advice above, please
I found nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement