Weight of Maltese - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Laura
Dog's Name: Samson & Delilah
Default Weight of Maltese

What is the largest Maltese that you have ever seen? Weight wise? I ran into a really nice couple today, who say they have a 13lb Maltese and also has grade 2/3 LP. Poor guy is going in for surgery this week.

We got to talking and I am really begining to think that they do not have a full blooded Maltese and that he isn't really overweight. That they either got a bad representation of the breed AND/OR they got a mixed Maltese/Bichon. I say this, because she told me what she has been feeding him and it's all been healthy food and within the guidelines of what he should be getting, actually a little less as far as dry food goes.

I asked them how much did he weigh at 12 weeks and they said about 8 lbs. So at 11 months old, 13 lbs now. Wouldn't that be putting him at around 20 lbs, according to the estimation thing we use??? Anyway I asked if they would bring him in so I could see him. I also told them about this wonderful site. So hopefully they will join us here or at least read all the wealth of info and can get another Malt in the future.

Rescuing one dog may not change the world , but for that one dog the world will be changed forever. Please buy from reputable exhibitor breeders or adopt from rescue.
Delilahs Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

That estimate is for the average Maltese from a reputable breeder. You cannot predict the growth rate of a dog from unknown background. Yes I've seen purebred Maltese from poor quality parents grow to large sizes. You breed an outcross of 8 and 9 lb parents and big might be in there. That's the likelihood of genetics to a degree.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brit
Dog's Name: Cosy from Bonnie's Angel Maltese
Send a message via AIM to Cosy

I don't think you can estimate if he's a mix. Sounds like he's definitely that.

Please buy from reputable
exhibitor breeders or Rescue.
Cosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Michele
Dog's Name: Lacy, Rylie, & London

I've seen a lot of large maltese. I've also seen a lot of large yorkies. Hard to know if they are completely purebred or not..it IS possible though so large size alone wouldn't make me think a dog is a mix. My Dad's cousin has had a few maltese. Her current maltese came from a show breeder and was placed as a pet because he was oversized. I think he's about 10lbs. Sometimes genetics are tricky...dogs can end up smaller or larger than you are hoping for.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Ashley
Dog's Name: Leila (of Sands Maltese)
Send a message via Skype™ to pinkpixie1588

I think the majority of Maltese you see around on the streets are from BYBs and Pet Shops (Puppy Mills) so it's hard to know for sure their background. Very possible that lots of them have been outcrossed to Bichons either unknowingly or purposefully to make the birth less complicated. Lots of Maltese I see have courser/curlier coats, too. Of course I would never say anything, but almost every person I meet asks me if Leila is a teacup or a miniature Maltese because they've never seen one so small. Most people on the street haven't ever seen a well-bred Maltese, unfortunately.

pinkpixie1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Jennifer
Dog's Name: Atticus & Grace

Weight is tricky and hard to judge.. Atticus & Rugby are litter mates (both from Grace) - they are from a reputable breeder (Aria Maltese). Atticus weighs 8.5 lbs and Rugby weighs 5.3 lbs and Grace weighs between 6lbs - 6.5 lbs - depending on her diet (she can be a little porker - but that's my fault). So, I would be highly offended if someone told me Atticus wasn't a full blood maltese, because he weighs too much or that he came from a less then reputable source. Standard is: Under 7 pounds; 4 to 6 pounds preferred. So, Atticus is out of standard, but his parents were both below 7lbs. Genetics is tricky, both of my parents have brown eyes & I have blue eyes. My Genetics instructor in college told me there was a lot going on there.. I just needed to pass the class.. so I took a pass on learning more.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default My girl is 13pounds

I got her from a pet shop my husband bought her live and learn at 4 month she was 1pd 4 oz. (think they lied about her age) she is aca registeredHe paid 1800 for her I paid 2000 to have her eyes fixed bad tearing and hair growth on inside of the eyelids so i guess poor breeding is all over I would never breed her but people will breed anything for MONEY.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Ashley
Dog's Name: Leila (of Sands Maltese)
Send a message via Skype™ to pinkpixie1588

Quote:
Originally Posted by casa verde maltese View Post
Weight is tricky and hard to judge.. Atticus & Rugby are litter mates (both from Grace) - they are from a reputable breeder (Aria Maltese). Atticus weighs 8.5 lbs and Rugby weighs 5.3 lbs and Grace weighs between 6lbs - 6.5 lbs - depending on her diet (she can be a little porker - but that's my fault). So, I would be highly offended if someone told me Atticus wasn't a full blood maltese, because he weighs too much or that he came from a less then reputable source. Standard is: Under 7 pounds; 4 to 6 pounds preferred. So, Atticus is out of standard, but his parents were both below 7lbs. Genetics is tricky, both of my parents have brown eyes & I have blue eyes. My Genetics instructor in college told me there was a lot going on there.. I just needed to pass the class.. so I took a pass on learning more.
I wouldn't think that Atticus wasn't purebred because he's 8.5 pounds. Honestly I think it's hard to tell the difference between a Malt that's 5 pounds vs. 7 pounds vs. 9 pounds. Unless you feel their body it's hard to tell with all the fluff.

But, when you're talking about a 15-20 pound "Maltese", you have to wonder.

pinkpixie1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Orla
Dog's Name: Milo
Send a message via MSN to Orla

Maltese are very very rare here in Ireland. Its so funny - all the ones from BYB's I've seen have been tiny!! Our standard is bigger than the standard in the states - 6.6 - 8.8lbs so show maltese are usually bigger - although I have seen maltese in the ring that are smaller than that and win

Milo's Instagram
Orla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Jennifer
Dog's Name: Bailey & Sophie
Send a message via AIM to jenniferhope423

My Bailey is 15lbs. I don't know anything about her lines as I got her from a family that couldn't take care of her anymore. She looks like any Maltese that I have ever seen but being so big I wonder sometimes if she may have some other breed in there somewhere. I love her big or small

Here is my big girl...
Weight of Maltese-dscn8835.jpg
jenniferhope423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement