Too much weight??? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci
Default Too much weight???

I posted something similar to this when Gucci was 12 weeks old. When I took her to the vet at that time, she was 3 lbs. For her 16 week appointment (2 weeks ago) she was 4 lbs. Today, I weighed her and she was 4.6 lbs. Does it seem like she is getting really heavy REALLY fast???
The breeder said she expected her to be small, since she was the smallest pup of the litter. Her mom is about 6lbs and her dad was 5.5, so if I go by the chart, she's going to be 7lbs. But it just seems like she is gaining weight way too fast. What do you think???
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Name: Cassie
Dog's Name: Juliet

At 9 months Juliet is 6.8 lbs she gained right around 2 lbs in 3 months. Not sure if that's the normal thou. I'm switching vets, but according to Banfield (not happy with them) she was doing great

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

JulietsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Hope
Dog's Name: Bella

There are some old threads here on the forum where members have actually posted the weight of their fluffs at various ages. It seems to me that its hard to tell, even when you know the weight of the parents. I was expecting my Bella to be on the heavier side of the standard like maybe 6 or 7 pounds but she is only 4.75 lbs. right now and she has been that weight for the past few months.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Both Bailey's parents were normal size, but he weighs over ten pounds! He was 3.9 at 12 weeks so we estimated he would be in the 8-9 lb. range full grown. His lines supposedly stop growing early (by eight months), but he continued to grow. He grew after his first birthday and a bunch of things I bought him for his birthday don't fit anymore.

Don't stress over it. Gucci will be as big as is she supposed to be and there is nothing you can do about it.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci

I am, obviously, hoping she'll be small, but I think I am more concerned that she is gaining weight so quickly. I don't know if I am feeding her too much. How can I tell if she's getting "fat" rather than just growing???
Old 12-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianna82 View Post
I am, obviously, hoping she'll be small, but I think I am more concerned that she is gaining weight so quickly. I don't know if I am feeding her too much. How can I tell if she's getting "fat" rather than just growing???
A fat puppy is pretty rare. Puppies gain weight quickly during those first 6-8 months, then slow down. Bailey gained about a half pound every two weeks like Gucci at that age. The fact that Gucci is growing and gaining weight is a good thing! It means she is healthy and thriving.

Gucci will probably end up larger than her parents. I think we were all guessing on your other thread that she would end up in the 8-9 lb. range, although a few people guessed more.

When you get a 12 week old puppy, all you can do is guess at their adult weight. If you want to be sure to get a small Maltese you have to get them as teenagers when they are almost full grown.

Last edited by Ladysmom; 12-04-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

Gustave was growing at a similar rate at her age too. He's slowed down a bit after hitting 6 months.

Feel around her ribs, if you don't feel any pudge there, she's not fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Dewey is slowing down also. He was 6 months on the 19th of Nov. I think he looks skinny to me , but when I see videos of Maltese getting groomed, he looks the same. He was 4.8 when he got neutered, he is probably 5 pounds now. His breeder thought he'd be around 5 pounds but obviously he'll be bigger, but that's fine with me!Laurel is 6 pounds , and I like that weight. She was the same weight that Dewey was when she got spayed and he got neutered.

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kathy
Dog's Name: Pipper

At 11 weeks Pipper weighed 2.8 lbs, at 13 weeks he weighed 3.3 lbs, at 15 weeks he weighed 4.2 lbs, so he was growing quickly and now my big sweet loveable little furball weighs exactly 13 lbs!!!!! (weighing him on my scale) By the way, both his parents were normal size.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Last edited by pippersmom; 12-04-2012 at 04:10 PM.
pippersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Laurie
Dog's Name: My Triple Threat - Lily, Addie, Jackson, Luci Mae at the bridge

Addie put weight on quickly until she was 6 mo and then she stopped. She's 9 mo. now and weighs 6.1 lbs.I have her brother also, he's a shrimp. He struggles to stay at 5 lbs. He eats more than she does. My older female, Lily weighs 11 lbs. I know alot of people want the tiny pups, but I like a little heavier pup as they seem a little sturdier. You will love her no matter what she weighs.
ladodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement