Where (from whom) did you get your Maltese? - Page 8 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #71 (permalink)

Name: Mary Anderson Lee
Dog's Name: Zoe
Default Reputable Breeder

Hi Everyone,
I got Zoe from JB Little Maltese in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada. They have champion show Maltese, and every step of the way they communicated with me from before the birth, after the birth sent photos and answered my questions. I am still in touch with them. They are a mother/daughter team and fantastic people. I recommend them all the time.

Mary (Zoe's Mum)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugHillHeather View Post
Hi! I was wondering if anyone could share where they got their Maltese or from whom specifically they got their Maltese. Also, any recommendations (good or bad), experiences, advice, etc. --would be great if you could share those.
Thanks!!!!!
segue815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #72 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Leiah and Lena

Leiah is a rescue (i got her from a shelter) and Lena is a Bonnie's Angel (Bonnie Palmer).
fleurdelys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #73 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lindsay
Dog's Name: Opey (Maltese) & Loco (Basset Hound)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysmom View Post
My Lady is a rescue. She originally came from a pet shop/puppy mill and has multiple health issues including diabetes and epilepsy. I would obviously not recommend getting a puppy from a pet shop or puppy mill. As it was in Lady's case, she was perfectly healthy for nearly 5 years until all theses genetic "time bombs" started going off.

As far as adopting a rescue, I would recommend it 100%. I haven't had a puppy or kitten in nearly 25 years. My two Siamese cats are also rescues. The love and devotion you get back from an animal who has been discarded or abused as my Siamese Sarah was can't compare with puppy or kitten love in my opinion! It is so rewarding to help these special souls work through their issues and baggage.
I saw your post and agree that rescues are the best option. I got my Maltese, Opey 5 years ago from a pet store but he ultimately came from a puppy mill. The day I purchased him, I didnít go into the pet store to purchase a dog, I just saw this sweet little Maltese and it was love at first sight. However, I was totally and completely ignorant at the time about the pet store/puppy mill stuff and it will be rescues only from now on. I read your post about Lady, and that makes me nervous as my Opey just turned 5 in January...
lmillette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #74 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Jerry
Dog's Name: Louie

Louie is from craigslist. He was about 5 when I got him and he seems to be in good health. I have no idea if he came from a puppy mill or a good breeder but he had no papers when I got him so that makes me suspect either a puppy mill or possibly the breeder didn't think he was show quality so didn't bother getting him papers. Quite frankly I am not very concerned with where he came from because to me it doesn't matter because I love him. Of course I prefer that he didn't come from a puppy mill but there is nothing I can do about it and either way he needed a home and I needed him. When I got him they were asking to get some money for him to be sure he was going to a good home but when they saw how we interacted they let me have him for free. I have never paid for a puppy or dog in my life so I have never supported the mills, every dog I've ever had was a rescue. The only reason I consider paying for him was I really wanted a Maltese after meeting so many of them over the summer at garage sales and falling in love with the breed. Honestly even if I knew he came from a puppy mill I would have still taken him because they need homes too and I could never turn away an animal in need.
Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #75 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Abby Harvey
Dog's Name: Daisy Grace, Zoey and Laci Jo

I got my Daisy Grace from the classified ads. I wqas reading trying to find a desk. I turned the page in the newspaper and this as jumped out at me. I was a normal size type is seemed to be the only ad on the page. I called the lady and she said that "her husband got the dog for her for Mother's Day and she needed to go back to work and she wanted to get RID of the dog". I was there is 30 minutes. I pulled up in the driveway and saw this little ball of fluff running in the yard. She looked more like a baby rabbit jumping in the yard...I grabbed her up and I thought my heart was going to burst open. I have been wrapped around her little paw ever since!!!
Daisy's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #76 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Gail
Dog's Name: Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysmom View Post
I just began to realize how many wonderful adult animals were out there looking for homes and decided that was how I wanted to get my furkids from then on.

Puppies and kittens can be pains, but so can adult dogs and cats you have not had from the start, too, so I don't know if I'd recommend getting a rescue to avoid typical puppy or kitten behavior. Just like with people, bad habits are often harder to break than establishing good habits right from the start. Rescues all come with issues and baggage from their past life. Some can be overcome, some are just part of their unique personality.

I just happen to get more satisfaction from giving a secondhand dog or cat another chance. It is so rewarding to see them blossom right before your eyes. Someday, when I retire, I want to finally foster. I know I can't save or adopt them all, so this would be another way to help the cause.
Totally agreed about adopting an adult dog. You can find just about any kind of dog you want in a shelter. My original reason for wanting an adult dog was to avoid the puppy issues. However, the more time I spend with dogs, the more I also realize that I just LOVE adult dogs the best. In fact, I adore senior dogs the most. Rescue dogs definitely come with "issues and baggage" and sometimes it almost KILLS me because I'll never know exactly what makes her act in certain ways. There are just times when I can see that she is reacting to a memory of the past and I'll never know what it is. But with so many dogs needing homes, and it being such a joy to adopt an adult dog and watch as it slowly begins to dawn on them that they are HERE TO STAY...it's just wonderful. Highly recommended.
LoveLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #77 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Abby Harvey
Dog's Name: Daisy Grace, Zoey and Laci Jo
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugHillHeather View Post
Hi! I was wondering if anyone could share where they got their Maltese or from whom specifically they got their Maltese. Also, any recommendations (good or bad), experiences, advice, etc. --would be great if you could share those.
Thanks!!!!!
My precious Daisy Grace was advertised in the classified ads. I called and this lady said she wnted to get RID of her. I was there is 30 minutes with $400.00 cash in hand. I pulled up in the driveway and saw this little ball of fluff bouncing around the yard. I scooped her up and held her close and I thought my heart was going to burst. It was LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT!!! She has had me wrapped around her little paw ever since!! I don't know where she came from and I didn't get papers but she is my precious little baby girl and none of that matters to me. I wouldn't take a million dollars for her!!
Daisy's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #78 (permalink)

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: Isabella Anne

I live in British Columbia and got our Maltese from Mellilla Maltese out of Squamish, BC. We visited their home in July and spent a few hours with Zita. She had two puppies at the time. We got to see her pack. Mom, dad, grandma and Aunt. You could tell how much she loved her animals. We had to fill out a questionnaire. We were told that pups did NOT go home before 12 weeks and small ones longer. Once Isabella was born we got updates and photos each week. We were encouraged to visit when she was 8 weeks which we did. Zita and Gyula are awesome people. Now that Isabella is home, if I have a question I phone or email. Now I send weekly photos. I would get another pup from them in a minute. They have become good friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Isabella's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement