Brown Spots on Hair - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2006, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Ashley
Dog's Name: Perri

I posted this in response to another poster's question on a different section of the forum a few weeks ago, but we didn't get any answers, so I thought I'd put it here.
When Perri was about 5 months of age, I noticed 3 little tan colored spots on his back near his tail--at first I thought it was dirt but it wouldn't wash off LOL! They are small and are really only noticeable in bright sunlight. I asked his groomer, and she said that the breeder probably didn't do a good job in picking the lines of the parents.
I know that the AKC standard says pure white with light tan or lemon on the ears permissable but not desirable, but in all of the Maltese books I've read I have not come across anything about spots on the back. I do know that it definately exists from reading posts here, but I am curious as to the cause of the spots--is it a result of unscrupulous breeding or does it just show up in some dogs like the color on the ears?
Also, for those of you who have the same experience, do the spots on the back fade like the color on the ears as they age?? Of course I Iove my little guy no matter what, I am just curious!
PreciousPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2006, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I don't know anything about how common it is .. but Jack had a spot of darker white (like very very light lemon) on his back for about 4 months when he was younger. (he's now 13 months old). They grew out, and when he was cut down, the hair was white there again. But... sometimes I still see a tiny glimmer of that lemon in certain lights. In general some folks say that lemon coloring is a sign of "good pigment" and that the black points will be stronger in that dog (though I don't know if thats true!)

Hope this helps!

cindysilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Paris has a round light colored spot on her back. I first thought it was from her hitting her back on the doggy door but I watched her a few times and she never touches it. It's probably about the size of a quarter and just a little bit from her tail. I didn't notice it before she had all of her hair cut off in December but it is definitely there now. She is almost 16 months old. As far as the black points being better...she has one paw that doesn't have as much black as the others. Go figure.

Paris

"The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues." Anonymous
"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in." Mark Twain
paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brit
Dog's Name: Cosy from Bonnie's Angel Maltese
Send a message via AIM to Cosy

It's not bad breeding. Long ago maltese were of color..even black. Sometimes we still see remnants of this in our white beauties. Cosy has a tad bit of color on her ears and a few spots on her back. It's so light it can't be seen all the time, but it's there. I've seen it in show dogs too, although they usually find a way to hide or lighten it.

Please buy from reputable
exhibitor breeders or Rescue.
Cosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 06:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Ashley
Dog's Name: Perri

Wow Brit that's interesting! Thanks so much for the information!
PreciousPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
jmm
Maltese Guru

Not too uncommon...color in the body coat is something breeders try to avoid, but you get it sometimes, especially when you have super strong pigment.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

lola has a few light tan strips of fur on her back that are a couple of inches wide each..they even seem to be a more course type of fur. she is 9 months old and they dont seem to be growing out. they are kinda cute, makes her look like an oreo! they are the same color that is on the back of her ears too. they dont bother me a bit, add to her character
Old 04-15-2006, 04:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Angela
Dog's Name: Beans

Pudding had lemon coloring on his ears when he was younger. He also had a bit of yellow on his back near his bum, but it was only at the tips.. After i cut off the old hair, the new hair was white and softer. I figure it's because he likes to chew and lick his tail and bum sometimes... so maybe the coloring is from saliva? I guess it depends on if it's white underneath and how dark the coloring is... His was just very light yellow

My Boys Pudding (Left) and Beans (Right)
angela923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via AIM to Brinkley & Neyland's Mom Send a message via Yahoo to Brinkley & Neyland's Mom

Neyland has it (slight lemon coloring) too, but not Brinkley.
Neyland's is on his ears and a few places on his back. It really isn't that noticeable to me except when he is wet.

<span style="color:#990000">"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive." - Gilda Radner </span>
Brinkley & Neyland's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Bijou has coloring on his ears, his back and under his tail. I'm glad that he is not alone. I was hoping that it would go away but it isn't.

Bijousmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement