Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Maltese weighs alot at 6 months

18K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  Ladyditexas 
#1 ·
My maltese Bentley is 6 months old and weighs 9.8 pounds. I purchased him from a lady who works at the hospital with me so she wasnt a reputable breeder but was registered with CKC and stated she has been breeding maltese for awhile. Not that CKC means anything. She told me the dog would weight betwen 6-8 pounds fully grown. They didnt allow us to see the parents because they told us they had been robbed before. (Our Mistake). The dog has a great demeanor and is extremely smart so i have definitely been blessed. My biggest concern is that we bought a small dog so that we can travel with him. Anyone have any idea of what he might weight and when i can expect him to be fully grown? There is so much conflicting reports online it's confusing. Thanks to anyone who responds.
-MB

#27 ·
When Ollie was 5 months he was almost 10 lbs. I thought he was going to be HUGE. Well, I got him off puppy food and put him on adult food and he lost some weight and has been around 8.5 lbs ever since. It's not unheard of, from what I understand, for a malt to do all their growing in the first 6 months and then more or less stop. Ollie hasn't grown since he was around 5 months--just took off some weight when I put him on the adult formula.

#28 ·
I took Midis off of puppy food at about 10 months because I thought it might be giving him some extra calories. I am not sure if he is overweight or not. It sort of feels like he has some fat at the top of his butt, but maybe that is muscle? I don't know. When he is wet taking a bath he looks so thin! But probably that is because I am used to seeing him with a full, dry coat.

I am going to be meeting with Andrea (and meeting Ace!) tomorrow at my breeders home. I will ask some 'experts' if he is overweight. If so I will have to cut back on his food. I don't feed him any treats but boiled chicken and grilled steak.

*hugs*
Cyndi

#30 ·
As long as youare not overfeeding him he is jsut meant to be larger naltese,[/B]

We just weighed Bentley again tonight and he weighs 11.8 pounds. Again we are happy with his personality and behavior but his size is gonna prob prevent us from traveling on some airlines. Dont get me wrong cause I love the little guy to death. He is 7 and a half months old and we are still feeding him puppy food could this be part of his rapid increase in weight. We feed him about 1/2 of a cup 2 times a day. Would getting him fixed at this age help control some of the hormones that make him grow? Thanks for all the quick respones.
MB

#31 ·
As long as youare not overfeeding him he is jsut meant to be larger naltese,[/B]

We just weighed Bentley again tonight and he weighs 11.8 pounds. Again we are happy with his personality and behavior but his size is gonna prob prevent us from traveling on some airlines. Dont get me wrong cause I love the little guy to death. He is 7 and a half months old and we are still feeding him puppy food could this be part of his rapid increase in weight. We feed him about 1/2 of a cup 2 times a day. Would getting him fixed at this age help control some of the hormones that make him grow? Thanks for all the quick respones.
MB
[/B]
I was told to get Midis off of the puppy food at 10 months because I was concerned about his weight. Today when I went over to Dian's and met Andrea and talked to these ladies that breed and show malts I asked if Midis was overweight and the answer was YES! Dian's (his breeder) estimate was probably by two pounds! Their opinion as to quantity of food was 1/2 to 1 cup (no more!) per day total. And, even though I don't feed him any high-calorie manufactured treats, the grilled steak was deemed to be too high calorie, although the boiled chicken might be okay. So, there you have it. And, since I have limited Midis' running space outside by fencing in a small area (he is in full coat and I was having a fit when he rolled in leaves!) he may not be getting enough exercise. So, I am going to cut out steak, cut down on his food quantity and see if I can increase his exercise.

Those were just a few tips I got from my "experts" this evening. Midis is a year old. He is 9" high at the shoulder, 14" length from neck to tail and weighs 10 lbs. Apparently, in full coat at that size he should be weighing about 8 lbs. I will feel better if we can get him down to that, but I'm not sure I can. Wish us luck! :)

Cyndi

#32 ·
What's the best moment of the day, to measure the weight of a maltese? It might seems silly but I've noticed so many differences in my baby's weight, sometimes even more than a pound!!! depending of food, water and doggy business :)
Sometimes he feels too skinny, others too fat as to change him to Go Natural Salmon and Oats. Does anyone have a similar situation???

#33 ·
I expected my Maggie to be around 7 lbs fully grown and 8" at the girth, based on her size when we got her at 10 weeks, the growth charts of Maltese, and what the "standard" Maltese are. However, at 6 months (the articles said Maltese were fully grown between 6-8 months of age) she was 8 lbs and 12" at the girth. She is now 8 months old and 10 lbs. She is happy, healthy and beautiful. When I posted about her size and weight, one person suggested that I check the European Maltese. I did and it indicated they were a bit larger there. So, that may be the answer. I have seen many posts about "larger" Maltese, but have come to conclusion that even though the show dogs are more compact and lighter, they are definitely not the "average". That being said.....we also got a toy poodles whose parents were 6 nd 7 lbs respectively.....and she is 12 lbs!!!

Attachments

#34 ·
Ours is 12 pounds although we also were expecting a smaller pup. She continued to grow up until about one year old. There are lots of larger Maltese pups but some prefer the smaller ones so often the breeders don’t mention the possibility of a larger pup. We just love ours!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.