Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Maltese weighs alot at 6 months

18K views 33 replies 24 participants last post by  Ladyditexas 
#1 ·
My maltese Bentley is 6 months old and weighs 9.8 pounds. I purchased him from a lady who works at the hospital with me so she wasnt a reputable breeder but was registered with CKC and stated she has been breeding maltese for awhile. Not that CKC means anything. She told me the dog would weight betwen 6-8 pounds fully grown. They didnt allow us to see the parents because they told us they had been robbed before. (Our Mistake). The dog has a great demeanor and is extremely smart so i have definitely been blessed. My biggest concern is that we bought a small dog so that we can travel with him. Anyone have any idea of what he might weight and when i can expect him to be fully grown? There is so much conflicting reports online it's confusing. Thanks to anyone who responds.
-MB

#3 ·
Since you don't know anything about his parents, you don't know if they stopped growing early or late. Some lines even continue to grow into the second year, while some really slow down after about nine months.

Either way, Bentley is going to be much bigger than the standard. Just remember, even a fifteen pound dog is a small dog.

#4 ·
As LadysMom said, even a 15 lb Maltese is a small dog. At one point my last one got up to (according to one particular vet's scale) 11 or 12 lbs. He always looked tiny when outside or around any other dogs. After I had him shaved and put him on low-calorie dog food and treats he later weighed 8 1/2 to 9 lbs. However, he was 10 years old by that time. When he was younger he normally weighed about 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 lbs. So I assume much of the 10-yr-old weight was fat & hair. He weighed about 8 1/2 lbs when he passed away at the age of 14, prior to being ill, I mean.

Although I thought I wanted a very, very tiny Maltese this time around I honestly feel like you can hug and snuggle more with one that is not so very tiny. A 8-12 or even 15 lb furbaby is really more the size of a non-fur baby that you can hug and love on. And that is still a very small dog.

I do not mean to put any tiny, tiny furbabies down, because I still think they are just so precious and so sought after, but if yours does not end up being one of the very tiny ones, then just love the one you have because (as you know) they will certainly pay you back 100 x over for that love and affection. And they don't have a clue what size they are. They think they are as big as a Great Dane anyway, regardless of their real size!

*hugs*
Cyndi

#7 ·
It sounds a little weird that someone you work with wouldn't let you see the parents....that's odd..

Anyway I saw a recent post where two Maltese siblings grew into very different sized dogs, so there's no gurantee that standard sized parent's will not produce a Biggie.

Most of us like our biggies because they are hardier and not as fragile. Both mine didn't finish growing until well after 12 months. They are both right around 10lbs.

Maltese is the best breed, so loving and fun, and as long as you can sqeeze them into an approved airline carrier you can go anywhere!!!! :chili:

mary anna herk and theena

#8 ·
Not that CKC means anything.

Canadian Kennel Club? I'm not sure what you're trying to say about it not meaning anything.[/B]
I'm sure she means the Continental Kennel Club. It's one of the alternative registries used by backyard breeders and puppy mills. They try to decieve people by using the same abbreviation as a reputable registry.

This is a good article about the Continental Kennel Club:

http://goldenrulekennel.com/page37.html

#9 ·

Canadian Kennel Club? I'm not sure what you're trying to say about it not meaning anything.[/B]

This could also be Continental Kennel Club, which does mean nothing. It's an alternate registration that petshops and BYB's use.

Reactions: hempsteadjb
#10 ·
Bogie was 5 pounds at 6 months, and now at 3 years old weighs in at about 8 pounds. He is bigger than both of his parents. I thought I wanted a smaller Maltese, but am very happy with Bogie's size. He isn't as fagile as some of the smaller ones, although he does get heavy after carrying him a while. Welcome to SM, and a fellow Floridian.

#12 ·

I was referring to the Continental Kennel Club. I was putting that into the article to explain the fact that even though a breeder registers with this club it does not guarantee the puppy is purebreed or the integrity of the breeder. I know some clubs do DNA testing and a dogs lineage can be tracked further back then just the parents like our pupy. None the less we ended up with a great puppy.

#17 ·
Well, I'd like to congratulate for having a well behaved baby; however, I feel sorry for you having such kind of coworker.
I don't know if that might be the case of your baby but depending on the lineage, some babies may stop growing faster than others. Just keep a track on him without getting obsessed. My baby grew a lot between 4 and 5 months (about a pound) and I was scared; however, he'slowed down in the past month and still weighs the same as when he was 5 (he's 6 1/2 now).
It all depends, just LET HIM BE :)

#18 ·

I'm sure she means the Continental Kennel Club. It's one of the alternative registries used by backyard breeders and puppy mills. They try to decieve people by using the same abbreviation as a reputable registry.

This is a good article about the Continental Kennel Club:

http://goldenrulekennel.com/page37.html
[/B]
This was what I kept running into when I was trying to find my Malt. I'm in the Nashville, TN area and several years ago there was a horrible puppy mill busted around this area. There were no telling how many poor mommies and daddies and inbred and sickly Maltese in this area that were put up for adoption. I think that is were all the CKC ones were coming from when I was looking for Midis. I looked up CKC and found that it could well mean Continental not Canadian (because I mean, really, why would there be such an abundance of Canadian Kennel dogs here in Nashville, TN???). So when I got on the phone and called all these "breeders" I flat out asked what the CKC stood for sure enough they were all Continental with no real papers.

Luckily I found a reputable breeder with really good dogs and ended up getting Midis.

I would not put down anyone's CKC pet just as you would never dream of putting down someone's rescue. It's a great thing to give any loving little dog a home and they will be loving, I am sure. I've never seen one that wasn't! It is just that if you are led to believe something about your pet that is not true then that is an irresponsible breeder. It doesn't make your pet any less precious.

Cyndi

#21 ·
Cowboy and Pistol were from the same litter from Bonnie Palmer in Pompano Beach Florida at 6 months when they ewre neutered Cowboy was 2 pounds heavier than Pistol who weighed 4 lb 4 ounces - he now weghs 6 pounds and Cowbou weighs 9. My late husband overfed ChiChi feeding her cheese etc late at night at her heaviest she weighed 17 pounds - he always blamed me but a year after he died ChiChi weighed 11 pounds. You may be overfeeding him a little - watch the treats I give baby carrots no doggie biscuits. I also used to make liver on a dehydrator for ChiChi for treats she got 2 before bed.

#23 ·
It's nice to see that there is no snobbiness here about the perfect Maltese and who does and does not measure up the the ideal standard. I know that there are many people here with very valuable and high quality show dogs and breeders (and we're all very grateful for that, because otherwise where would we have gotten our beautiful and loving pets?), but nobody seems to pass judgement here and I for one really appreciate that. I have had two pet Maltese and could not have loved them more if they had perfectly met every single show standard! But the truth is neither could possibly have come close to the show quality, due to their size if nothing else (and I think with my current baby, size is just about it, at least I think he is perfect in every other way according to the standard. Then again, I could be prejudiced).

Thanks to all who post here and who support and appreciate all of us and our babies!

*hugs*
Cyndi

#24 ·
Well, let's see...My Pacino, (who I got from a BYB) is 7 pounds and his mom was 5 pounds and his father was 6.5 pounds. My Ralphie, who I got from my Maltese rescue group,Metropolitan Maltese Rescue, came from a reputible breeder (I know where he came from and I have all his AKC papers, breeder papers, etc.). His mother was 6 pounds and his father was 5 pounds and he is 10 pounds!!
So, it is hard to tell. They are all the same, the most wonderful breed there is!!
Marie, Pacino & Ralphie

#25 ·
Well, let's see...My Pacino, (who I got from a BYB) is 7 pounds and his mom was 5 pounds and his father was 6.5 pounds. My Ralphie, who I got from my Maltese rescue group,Metropolitan Maltese Rescue, came from a reputible breeder (I know where he came from and I have all his AKC papers, breeder papers, etc.). His mother was 6 pounds and his father was 5 pounds and he is 10 pounds!!
So, it is hard to tell. They are all the same, the most wonderful breed there is!!
Marie, Pacino & Ralphie
[/B]
OMG Marie, your siggy is beautiful :wub: :wub: Please share some more pics of your boys..I'm dying to see them!!

#26 ·
My Roxy is about 8lbs now and she is a year and 3 months old. I am pretty sure she is done growing but I am with some of the other posters. I am glad she is slightly larger, she just seems sturdier. Plus, 8lbs is still very small...I carry her around all the time. I don't travel much on planes but she does ALOT of traveling in the car which she loves. I think all that hair maltese have can be deceiving...often they look heavier until you see them wet...then they look like tiny little things! Roxy weighed about 4 pds at 6mths old so she about doubled as a adult. Which I gues is normal...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.