Maltese weighs alot at 6 months - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2007, 08:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

My maltese Bentley is 6 months old and weighs 9.8 pounds. I purchased him from a lady who works at the hospital with me so she wasnt a reputable breeder but was registered with CKC and stated she has been breeding maltese for awhile. Not that CKC means anything. She told me the dog would weight betwen 6-8 pounds fully grown. They didnt allow us to see the parents because they told us they had been robbed before. (Our Mistake). The dog has a great demeanor and is extremely smart so i have definitely been blessed. My biggest concern is that we bought a small dog so that we can travel with him. Anyone have any idea of what he might weight and when i can expect him to be fully grown? There is so much conflicting reports online it's confusing. Thanks to anyone who responds.
-MB
MattyB5576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2007, 08:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pat
Dog's Name: Archie, Abbey, Ava, Mona Lisa and Tinker

9 lbs at 6 months old? He's not done growing yet.... my guess is around 10 - 12 lbs. There are maltese on our forum that size. They're just as wonderful as the smaller ones - just more to love. Have you posted pictures of your pup yet?

Archie, Ava and Abbey
Life is Good!!!....and keeps gettin' better!!!

To get to Ava's FB page...
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ava/2...9759780?ref=hl
The A Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Since you don't know anything about his parents, you don't know if they stopped growing early or late. Some lines even continue to grow into the second year, while some really slow down after about nine months.

Either way, Bentley is going to be much bigger than the standard. Just remember, even a fifteen pound dog is a small dog.
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via MSN to binniebee Send a message via Yahoo to binniebee

As LadysMom said, even a 15 lb Maltese is a small dog. At one point my last one got up to (according to one particular vet's scale) 11 or 12 lbs. He always looked tiny when outside or around any other dogs. After I had him shaved and put him on low-calorie dog food and treats he later weighed 8 1/2 to 9 lbs. However, he was 10 years old by that time. When he was younger he normally weighed about 7 1/2 to 8 1/2 lbs. So I assume much of the 10-yr-old weight was fat & hair. He weighed about 8 1/2 lbs when he passed away at the age of 14, prior to being ill, I mean.

Although I thought I wanted a very, very tiny Maltese this time around I honestly feel like you can hug and snuggle more with one that is not so very tiny. A 8-12 or even 15 lb furbaby is really more the size of a non-fur baby that you can hug and love on. And that is still a very small dog.

I do not mean to put any tiny, tiny furbabies down, because I still think they are just so precious and so sought after, but if yours does not end up being one of the very tiny ones, then just love the one you have because (as you know) they will certainly pay you back 100 x over for that love and affection. And they don't have a clue what size they are. They think they are as big as a Great Dane anyway, regardless of their real size!

*hugs*
Cyndi

binniebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Paula
Dog's Name: Matilda and Button's and Bow's waiting at Heaven's Rainbow Bridge

I have a friend that has a 12 lb and a 14 lb maltese. They are the sweetest babies. My Matilda's mommy and daddy were 4 lbs, Matilda is 7 lbs.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Not that CKC means anything.

Canadian Kennel Club? I'm not sure what you're trying to say about it not meaning anything.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

It sounds a little weird that someone you work with wouldn't let you see the parents....that's odd..

Anyway I saw a recent post where two Maltese siblings grew into very different sized dogs, so there's no gurantee that standard sized parent's will not produce a Biggie.

Most of us like our biggies because they are hardier and not as fragile. Both mine didn't finish growing until well after 12 months. They are both right around 10lbs.

Maltese is the best breed, so loving and fun, and as long as you can sqeeze them into an approved airline carrier you can go anywhere!!!!

mary anna herk and theena
makettle29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Quote:

Canadian Kennel Club? I'm not sure what you're trying to say about it not meaning anything.[/B]
I'm sure she means the Continental Kennel Club. It's one of the alternative registries used by backyard breeders and puppy mills. They try to decieve people by using the same abbreviation as a reputable registry.

This is a good article about the Continental Kennel Club:

http://goldenrulekennel.com/page37.html
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Linda
Dog's Name: Bonnie Marie, my angel 04/11/01-06/17/12 and little Bounce, 03/17/12 - St. Patrick's Baby!

Quote:

Canadian Kennel Club? I'm not sure what you're trying to say about it not meaning anything.[/B]

This could also be Continental Kennel Club, which does mean nothing. It's an alternate registration that petshops and BYB's use.

Bounce, you're the joy and sparkle in my life (with the heart shaped tongue).
Bonnie, you're my sweet girl who will never be forgotten or replaced.
Bonnie's Mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Reva
Dog's Name: Bogie and Cassie
Send a message via Yahoo to revakb2

Bogie was 5 pounds at 6 months, and now at 3 years old weighs in at about 8 pounds. He is bigger than both of his parents. I thought I wanted a smaller Maltese, but am very happy with Bogie's size. He isn't as fagile as some of the smaller ones, although he does get heavy after carrying him a while. Welcome to SM, and a fellow Floridian.