Body Squareness, Male vs Female - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2007, 07:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: TINA
Send a message via MSN to Tina

[QUOTE]
The biggest mistake breeder's make when choosing a puppy to show at around 6 months old is that the dog is "high" in the rear. In other words the dog is taller in the hind legs than the front legs. Not a good top line. If you wait and be patient, the front will catch up with the rear around 8 to 10 months old. Sometimes they are long in the loin and that makes them look longer too. I've seen quite a few breeder's sell the puppy because of this and then they see the dog later and kick themselves. Different lines develope at different rates. It's fun watching them grow and go through the uglies and then mature a swan.

Tina

Come enjoy the MAGIC of Maltese

ADAM
MAGIC'S BELIEVE IN SOMETHING BETTER

"I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, or in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2007, 08:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Melanie
Dog's Name: Whisper
Send a message via Yahoo to MissMelanie

Quote:
Quote:
The biggest mistake breeder's make when choosing a puppy to show at around 6 months old is that the dog is "high" in the rear. In other words the dog is taller in the hind legs than the front legs. Not a good top line. If you wait and be patient, the front will catch up with the rear around 8 to 10 months old. Sometimes they are long in the loin and that makes them look longer too. I've seen quite a few breeder's sell the puppy because of this and then they see the dog later and kick themselves. Different lines develope at different rates. It's fun watching them grow and go through the uglies and then mature a swan.

Tina
[/color]
[/B]
I agree with you, that must really be fun! I know when I look back at photos of Wookie when I first got him, he looks so funny! His hair sticking out everywhere and so many different lengths.

And I just met a woman the other day with a Maltese, she told me that her breeder was calling her often wanting to buy her dog back. Her dog was BEAUTIFUL and looked every bit as good as a Show Dog to me that day. So I can understand that breeders do make mistakes and kick themselves later.

enJOY!
Melanie

RIP my darling Mr Wookie. I fully believe, you are now truly Snuggling with Angels.
MissMelanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:01 PM   #23 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Melanie
Dog's Name: Whisper
Send a message via Yahoo to MissMelanie

Quote:
My little girl, Shiva, is very square. Our boy Stewie is more oblong looking, but I think its because he is leggier and taller and his butt and chest stick out more than Shiva's.

I'm glad you posted this, I have always wondered about the standard, the squareness or rectangularness (are these even words??? lol) of the maltese. Of course, they are all adorable no matter what shape![/B]
You are most welcome. I have also enjoyed seeing what people have to add to this thread.

enJOY!
Melanie

RIP my darling Mr Wookie. I fully believe, you are now truly Snuggling with Angels.
MissMelanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:03 AM   #24 (permalink)

Name: Alice
Dog's Name: ET dei Prati Verdo

That's interesting, because the FCI european standard states that the lenght of the body must be 38% more than height, both in males and females. Infact our malts, if well bred, are longer than taller!
ET's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #25 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET's mom View Post
That's interesting, because the FCI european standard states that the lenght of the body must be 38% more than height, both in males and females. Infact our malts, if well bred, are longer than taller!
Dewey must be of European ancestry, he seems longer than taller to me. LOL He's only 6 mo. curious as to how he'll turn out.

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement