Body Squareness, Male vs Female - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2007, 10:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Melanie
Dog's Name: Whisper
Send a message via Yahoo to MissMelanie
Thumbs up

<span style="color:#9932cc">I was e-mailing some breeders recently, talking about their beautiful Maltese on their web sites, and making comments about what I really liked about their dogs. One of them emailed me back and we had been "e-mailing" back and forth a few times and I had told her about some of the things I LOVE in Maltese. One being the "compact squareness" of them. She wrote back to me and told me that females tend to be longer in the body then males.

I was curious about this since the AKC Breed Standard does not seem to mention this. However, I can understand why a female would be longer in the body.

<span style="color:#000000"><span style="font-family:Arial">Body - Compact, the height from the withers to the ground equaling the length from the withers to the root of the tail. Shoulder blades are sloping, the elbows well knit and held close to the body. The back is level in top line, the ribs well sprung. The chest is fairly deep, the loins taut, strong, and just slightly tucked up underneath.

</span>Comments? Observations?

enJOY!
Melanie
</span></span>

RIP my darling Mr Wookie. I fully believe, you are now truly Snuggling with Angels.
MissMelanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2007, 11:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Janet
Dog's Name: Winnie

Quote:
<span style="color:#9932cc">I was e-mailing some breeders recently, talking about their beautiful Maltese on their web sites, and making comments about what I really liked about their dogs. One of them emailed me back and we had been "e-mailing" back and forth a few times and I had told her about some of the things I LOVE in Maltese. One being the "compact squareness" of them. She wrote back to me and told me that females tend to be longer in the body then males.

I was curious about this since the AKC Breed Standard does not seem to mention this. However, I can understand why a female would be longer in the body.

<span style="color:#000000"><span style="font-family:Arial">Body - Compact, the height from the withers to the ground equaling the length from the withers to the root of the tail. Shoulder blades are sloping, the elbows well knit and held close to the body. The back is level in top line, the ribs well sprung. The chest is fairly deep, the loins taut, strong, and just slightly tucked up underneath.

enJOY!
Melanie
</span></span></span>[/B]

<span style="color:#800080">I don't know about other dogs but Winnie started off "square" but has grown quite long......sometimes I think her body is more "cat-like" than Maltese!

garrettsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Quote:

enJOY!
Melanie
</span></span></span>[/B]

<span style="color:#800080">I don't know about other dogs but Winnie started off "square" but has grown quite long......sometimes I think her body is more "cat-like" than Maltese!

[/B]
Lilly sounds just like Winnie! She is very long for her height and her spine sometimes seems very cat-like. She can curl up into the smallest ball, just like a cat.

beckybc03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brit
Dog's Name: Cosy from Bonnie's Angel Maltese
Send a message via AIM to Cosy

The theory is that females tend to be longer to create room for puppies.
I've seen some longer bodied males too. Wonder why? LOL
It isn't unusual to see them a bit longer than taller, female or male.
I've also seen them taller than longer.

Please buy from reputable
exhibitor breeders or Rescue.
Cosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Isabella
Dog's Name: Diego

Diego (male) is very square and his littermate Izzy (female) is a bit longer and taller. It is really kind of strange because when we first got them home in May, you really couldn't tell the difference, but now it is noticeable. I am not sure if that is the 'norm' or not, but next time Izzy is over I will take a picture of them together (if I can get them to be still long enough ) for you to see.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Melanie
Dog's Name: Whisper
Send a message via Yahoo to MissMelanie

Quote:
Diego (male) is very square and his littermate Izzy (female) is a bit longer and taller. It is really kind of strange because when we first got them home in May, you really couldn't tell the difference, but now it is noticeable. I am not sure if that is the 'norm' or not, but next time Izzy is over I will take a picture of them together (if I can get them to be still long enough ) for you to see.[/B]
Thank you. I really would like to hear more of others about this. I would love to know why the AKC Standard doesn't mention a differance in males and females, if in fact, there really is.

enJOY!
Melanie

RIP my darling Mr Wookie. I fully believe, you are now truly Snuggling with Angels.
MissMelanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

My girlie lambies are littermates, and they are shaped differently. Kiki is square, while pippin is taller, but a lot longer too. The are less than a half pound appart, and I love 'em! (Duh! they're Maltese!)

kiki & pippin's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Abbey isn't square, but I thought it had to do with their pedigree?
abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sue
Dog's Name: Boo & Hannah

Well, I got a square,Hannah. Wouldn't matter to me if she was round or rectangular, but I'm not a breeder. Just trying to be helpful. Boo says,"Hey, what's wrong with a rectangle?"
momtoboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Mandy
Dog's Name: Richelieu's White Tornado RN, RL1, CGC & Bellarata's Little Miss Sunshine

Jax seems to be square.

I got out the tape measure to try to measure him, and kind of did.

He seemed to be the same withers to ground, as withers to root of tail...

"If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket
and then give him only two of them."
~Phil Pastoret

Jax Video
MandyMc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement