Weight of puppy at 6 months - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2008, 05:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Thumbs up

Beowulf is a little over 6 months old, and weighs 5.1 lbs. After reading someother post I am gathering that he may become very large ... I am a little worried. Is there any calculation or indication of how big they will get based on their weight at this age? I got him just a few weeks ago, so I don't know how much he weighed at other ages ....

pixxee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2008, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brit
Dog's Name: Cosy from Bonnie's Angel Maltese
Send a message via AIM to Cosy

Did you ask the breeder? You might do that. Some stop growing
or slow drastically at 6 months while others keep growing past
a year of age.

Please buy from reputable
exhibitor breeders or Rescue.
Cosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Beowulf is a little over 6 months old, and weighs 5.1 lbs. After reading someother post I am gathering that he may become very large ... I am a little worried. Is there any calculation or indication of how big they will get based on their weight at this age? I got him just a few weeks ago, so I don't know how much he weighed at other ages ....[/B]
Ollie got big FAST. By the time he was 5/6 mos old he weighed nearly 10 lbs! But after that he stopped growing and actually LOST some weight. He's around 8 1/2 - 9 lbs now and has been for several months. I took him off puppy food per his breeders recommendation--she felt it was fattening him up too much (he was quite robust, lol). If you know the parents then you MAY get a general idea to how big they will be, but that's no guarantee, either.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Send a message via MSN to anouk

I wouldn't worry too much.
Lizzie at 6 months was 6.2 lbs and now she is 7lbs.

"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera
<a href="http://lilypie.com" target="_blank">
</a>
anouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Jeryl Ricks
Dog's Name: Kruze
Thumbs down

Hi, i don't know if this will help, but I have a chart a breeder gave me, I would guess based on the puppies she raises, but according to the weight at 6 months, at 18months your pup should weigh between 6-6.5. at least this might give you an idea

jerricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Ok, thanks everyone, This makes me feel a lot better. I can't ask the breeder because she is a puppymill person, and I am currently stalkin... well observing her house for when she leaves so I can conduct my own investigation and report her to animal control. I was worried about Beowulf getting huge because I read on another post, that people had Malteses that were 2 lbs at 6 months!!! I thought, oh my goodness, Beowulf is 5 lbs!, he may become a 20 lber!!! lol ... I am not worried anymore though, thanks!

pixxee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

i'm a bit worried though, because my puppy is currently at 4 months and weights about 5.25 pounds. I hope she doesn't get any bigger for the sake of space. i wouldn't mind a big dog, but my mom totally would.

</a>
lady_630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

NO WAY, he will never become 20 lbs!

Coby's 6 months now and he's around 4.8 lbs. I hear a lot of dogs slow down their growth rate from then on, but some do keep growing (but really slowly) until 2 years of age. I think 2 lbs at 6 months is a special case. That dog will probably grow to be around 3 lbs, max of 4 lbs which would be a maltese on the very small side of the standard. We're expecting Coby to weigh 6 lbs at max (he was estimated at birth to be around 5.5 lbs), but only time will tell!
Old 05-14-2008, 10:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
i'm a bit worried though, because my puppy is currently at 4 months and weights about 5.25 pounds. I hope she doesn't get any bigger for the sake of space. i wouldn't mind a big dog, but my mom totally would.[/B]
Your puppy will probably be a bit bigger than the standard at 6 lbs. I would guess about 7 or 8 lbs. My Max is almost 8 lbs, and he is still a small dog. there is no way to guarantee how big your puppy will get. It is just kinda a wait and see game.

Glitter Graphics
jazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
i'm a bit worried though, because my puppy is currently at 4 months and weights about 5.25 pounds. I hope she doesn't get any bigger for the sake of space. i wouldn't mind a big dog, but my mom totally would.[/B]
Your puppy will probably be a bit bigger than the standard at 6 lbs. I would guess about 7 or 8 lbs. My Max is almost 8 lbs, and he is still a small dog. there is no way to guarantee how big your puppy will get. It is just kinda a wait and see game.
[/B]
8 is perfect with me, as long as she wont be 15 or 10+.

</a>
lady_630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement