Compare Maltese to Poodle - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Mandy
Dog's Name: Richelieu's White Tornado RN, RL1, CGC & Bellarata's Little Miss Sunshine

I think Maltese are wonderful little dogs!

When I was little we had a toy poodle. He was very, very smart, but I don't know if I'd say smarter than a Maltese. I think the Maltese is a lot smarter than what we think. They know what you want them to do, but also know how to get what they want from you! Whereas the poodle is probably doing what you want, without necessarily wanting anything in return, therefore seeming to "get it" faster and easier.

As for the coats, a Maltese coat is way more difficult to maintain and they are a more fragile dog.

I, however, would never choose any other little dog. It will always be a Maltese

"If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket
and then give him only two of them."
~Phil Pastoret

Jax Video
MandyMc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
I am a life long poodle person and have had a maltese for almost a year now.

Here is my observation of my present poodle and my maltese

The poodle is more intelligent (ducking for cover here) but the maltese is plenty smart too.
By this I mean the poodle understands everything immediately. The maltese goes "Oh ya! That must be what she wants!"
The poodle is more sporty in physique and activities but the maltese is more huggable
The poodle hair is easier to keep groomed. The maltese needs to be constantly combed and brushed and still matts!

I adore them both though and here is my old sig picture of my two breeds together. They are bestest friends.

[/B]

Quote:
I use to own a poodle and she was great, but nothing beats the love, loyalty and cuddles a maltese will give you. I have two maltese now and I would never change breeds. [/B]

Quote:
I (ducking, too) have to agree that Poodles are easier learners than Maltese. I also agree with describing them as more sporty (a better companion for long walks and hiking). Personally, I think Poodle coats are waaaaay easier than Maltese coats.

My Maltese tend to be a bit more laid back than most poodles. They're very trainable, but not with the intensity of a poodle.[/B]
I think I have to agree with all the above info... i just want to add that for cuddle factor and loyalty... maltese all the way.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: London (12/20/07) & Preston (03/25/09)

I believe Maltese are literally the best breed ever (along with maybe a Golden Retriever). They are extremely loyal, smart, and know when something is wrong. I have owned several different breeds before: Chihuaha/Terrier, Cocker Spaniel, Beagle, and 2 Maltese. I will NEVER own another breed other than Maltese.

The books say they are among the toughest to housebreak, but I disagree. My Beagle was WAY worse. I will say, though, that Poodles are among my least favorite breeds. I don't think they're cute at all, and they always seem yappy...but to each their own. They make wonderful pets for those who love their ugly fur! (only joking)

I would highly recommend getting a Maltese -- there really is no other like them!
Old 04-02-2008, 02:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Suzan
Dog's Name: Keiko & Nikki

I had a mini poodle growing up and he was very smart. A few years ago I had a Bichon and Peaches was extremely sweet and smart. Now I have a Malt puppy and she is similar to the Bichon in intelligence and temperament. Poodles are very smart and learn very quickly, but my bichon caught on rather quickly too, and it's too soon to tell about Nikki, my Maltese because I just got her. She seems pretty smart. My poodle was very independent, unlike my Bichon, who was pretty "clingy."

So I guess what I am saying is that I think that Poodles, Bichons and Maltese are pretty similar in intelligence, maybe a poodle is a little bit smarter. Each puppy within their breed has their own personality. I like the appearance of Bichons and Maltese better than Poodles. I'd own a Bichon again, and I love my Malt. Just a personal preference.
Nikki's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I have both breeds in my home and I like both breeds very much. My poodle is very elegant, calm, intelligent never barks and is very nimble, graceful, almost catlike in her movements. I believe she never barks because she doesn't think she is a dog.

My maltese is klutzier, excitable, a barker, freaks out about little things, enthusiastic busybody and a comical clown. They are pretty much opposites in personality.

Both are big snugglers, affectionate and very sweet. Neither shed.Grooming a maltese is far more tedious.

I do not prefer one breed over the other as a well bred poodle is as total a joy as a well bred maltese. The only area the maltese gets an extra point with me is that they have zero smell to them while a poodle does have a mild doggy scent as do most other breeds except for the maltese.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:27 AM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
There isn't any comparison. Maltese are perfect. [/B]
I agree! My neighbors have 7 Poodles. I delivered four of them last year, and turned down the offer of "free pick of the litter".

Sheila
yorkieville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 01:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Crystal
Dog's Name: Zoe, Jett & Callie (Cher-Chien's California Dreamin)

Zoe is highly offended at those who claim the Poodle to have higher intelligence. She went under the bed to have some alone time and nurse her pride. Jett just gave me one of these looks... ...and ran off to play!
Crystal&Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

Have your ever felt your heart melting when you look into a maltese eyes?
Have you ever laughed like crazy at your maltese being mischievous?
Have you ever felt healed and happy after cuddling with your malt?
Have you ever decided not to give up because your malt is there for you?
Have you ever felt your hope reborn after your maltese has learned a new trick?
Yes??? then there is no way to compare

</a>
giselle79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:54 PM   #19 (permalink)

I have a standard poodle and she is extremely easy to train. She is not yappy. I don't think any 70lb dog can really be called yappy. I also own 2 maltese/poodle mixes. Cooper was and still is not the quickest dog there is. When I was housetraining him he would just pee right in front of me with a totally clueless look on his face but one day it just clicked. Now he is great. Now Lola, my other maltepoo has more of the poodle characteristics. She looks more poodle in the face and learned housetraining quicker than any dog I have trained. She is just 4 months old and she is housebroken. Cooper has the really silly personality that melts my heart. Lola is very sweet and energetic. Neither ones are yappy at all. He has the finer maltese coat which can be difficult while Lola's is easier. I think that I really captured the best of both breeds. I love the intelligence of the poodle and love that all 4 of my dogs are part or all poodle and yet I have the fantastic personality of the maltese.
Jodi

Cooper and Lola's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:13 AM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

This is my experience only. Poodles are very smart. My parents had 2 a miniature and a toy. Both came from different breeders. The poodles were high strung. So am I so it could be a parenting issue. Both yipped and yapped and begged for food. Both were terrified of thunder. My parent"s poodle ate breakfast at the dining room table Alphabet cereal. The poodles were easier to maintain (they went to a groomer). My husband says I am high maintenance enough so I have to do my own grooming. From what I've read about grooming nightmares it is probably a good thing.
Both of the Maltese I have had do not bark and or yip. Love to snuggle and thunder never bothered either one of them.