Is My Dog A Maltese or a Bichon? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

I'm serious, this dog is AKC registered, yet he weighs 14 lbs at 10 mos. How much more will he grow? He has the temperment of a Maltese. He looks like other Maltese, he has the black points, etc. He's not fat, he walks twice a day with me and seriously, isn't fat. Yet he has grown a lb a month since I got him and I'm wondering when he'll quit growing.

What is the difference in a Bichon and a Maltese? Is it just size? Is it the hair? I keep Biscuit cut in a Puppy Cut because I live in the woods and don't think I could manage all that hair with weeds and stuff around the woods but I honestly can't see a lot of difference in a Bichon and maltese other than size. I don't know how to put a picture up on this note so I'll direct you to my blog at http://rozspot.blogspot.com I've put a 10 month picture up today. Let me know what you think!!!

ps Just because someone gives you the paperwork to register a dog, who checks to make sure he's really a pure bred dog? The people who bred Biscuit also breeds other small dog breeds, how would they know if their female got mixed up with something else? (just wondering). I wrote them and they told me that the mom and pop weighed 4 and 5 lbs. They also offered to take him back but I can't do that, I love him, I just wonder............!

Advertisement

Old 11-10-2008, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Mia, Cody, KCee, Bella & Snoopy
Send a message via Yahoo to luvmyfurbaby

QUOTE (rozporter @ Nov 10 2008, 06:27 PM)
Quote:
I'm serious, this dog is AKC registered, yet he weighs 14 lbs at 10 mos. How much more will he grow? He has the temperment of a Maltese. He looks like other Maltese, he has the black points, etc. He's not fat, he walks twice a day with me and seriously, isn't fat. Yet he has grown a lb a month since I got him and I'm wondering when he'll quit growing.

What is the difference in a Bichon and a Maltese? Is it just size? Is it the hair? I keep Biscuit cut in a Puppy Cut because I live in the woods and don't think I could manage all that hair with weeds and stuff around the woods but I honestly can't see a lot of difference in a Bichon and maltese other than size. I don't know how to put a picture up on this note so I'll direct you to my blog at http://rozspot.blogspot.com I've put a 10 month picture up today. Let me know what you think!!!

ps Just because someone gives you the paperwork to register a dog, who checks to make sure he's really a pure bred dog? The people who bred Biscuit also breeds other small dog breeds, how would they know if their female got mixed up with something else? (just wondering). I wrote them and they told me that the mom and pop weighed 4 and 5 lbs. They also offered to take him back but I can't do that, I love him, I just wonder............![/B]

He looks like all Malt to me I mean we have some on here that are 12+ Bichon have curlier hair and a different head.
luvmyfurbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Pebbles

He looks like a Malt to me too. Pebbles is 10.5-11Ibs...and I know of bigger ones than her.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Christine
Dog's Name: Mia, Leo and Ana

Looks like a sweet baby Malt to me as well. Boy is he a beauty. Can you give him a big hug for me
Old 11-10-2008, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

He definitely looks maltese. Do you mind if I ask who you got him from?
Old 11-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

He looks like a Malt to me too. My Hercules is probably 11lbs, but I usually fib and say he's 10 ok maybe he's 12 lbs. Every ounce of him is pure love

Seriously, you have to get a very experienced breeder to get a Maltese within the standard and yes some Malts have Bichon in the woodpile!

mary anna herk and theena
makettle29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
mss
Maltese Guru

He's so cute, he must be a Maltese!

I think Bichons are cute when they have lots of fur, in their traditional grooming style. But their muzzles and noses are broader and heavier than a Maltese's. I've seen some purebred Bichons with very short haircuts, and I didn't recognize them at first, and I don't think they are nearly as attractive as a Maltese. Or even a poodle.

I think your dog is very, very nice looking.
mss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: London (12/20/07) & Preston (03/25/09)

He definitely looks all Maltese to me; Bichons have a different hair type as well as a different head (although as puppies, Bichons and Maltese look similar).

Chances are, he's just a poorly bred Maltese, so he doesn't resemble the AKC breed standard which is 4-7lbs.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

[Looking at your pictures I do think Biscuit looks like a Maltese. I bought him from a girl who bought him to breed until she realized he was going to be too big to breed. I didn't really care because I wasn't planning on breeding him but I really was planning on taking him with me when I travel. I still do but I'm not sure I can squish him under a plane seat He is fabulous company and such a card I wouldn't trade him for anything, that's for sure. I just wondered if there was a mistake in the woodpile (still do).

When do they finally quit growing???

Old 11-10-2008, 08:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Disreputable breeders often breed bichons with Maltese and the result is a super sized Maltese like your Biscuit. Bichons have larger litters and fewer complications, so a female Bichon bred with a male Maltese will put more money in the pockets of greedy breeders ("greeders").

Biscuit's breeder may not be doing this herself, but if the dogs she is breeding have Bichon in their background, it will show up in the puppies. That's why it is so important to get a puppy from a reputable breeder who is carefully breeding quality dogs to the Maltese standard.

Here is a great article from Foxstone Maltese:

http://www.foxstonemaltese.com/maltesesize.htm
Ladysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement