Biting the wee wee pad - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2011, 10:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Tony
Dog's Name: Chase
Default Biting the wee wee pad

I recently purchased a maltese puppy. He will be 3 months on the 4/25 he has a bad habit of biting the pad and dragging it around his play pen. i went to petco and bought the frames that hold the pad in place but during the day i have work and school so he would be alone for about 10 hours. when i come home its always a mess the pad is in the middle of the play pen and his poop is everywhere! . any advice on keeping him from biting the pad and dragging it everywhere?
t0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2011, 11:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brit
Dog's Name: Cosy from Bonnie's Angel Maltese
Send a message via AIM to Cosy

You can try the reusable puppy pads until he outgrows his playfulness with them.

Please buy from reputable
exhibitor breeders or Rescue.
Cosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Name: Rachel
Dog's Name: Mochi

Have you tried taping the pad down?
RaeRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Now my puppy recently decided to tear up the wee wee pads I leave him for about 30 minutes and come home to a big mess! He also eats his poop I need help!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

If that's the case, you might want to consider training him to go outside to potty instead. I started out with peepads too but I found that taking him out every few hours was a lot easier and you avoid the mess. The pads are pretty much pointless if he just ends up tearing them up.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Also, are you using a crate or fencing off a large area for him to roam around?
Old 04-20-2011, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Carina
Dog's Name: Cadeau, Cadie, Cacia, CherryB, Cherish & Charm (Cloud, Clancy, Clouseau, Cameo & Calypso @ bridge)
Send a message via AIM to CloudClan Send a message via Yahoo to CloudClan

Wow, 10 hours is a very long time for one so young to be left alone during the day. That would be a long time for an adult dog, but it is an eternity for a young pup all alone. Can you have someone come in and check on him for you?

Chewing up Pee pads is common in puppies. There are washable pee pads and they can be better at this age. A friend of mine has an interesting link to some cheap ones on her website: http://www.odcmerchandise.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y

I like cloth ones when I can not be there to watch puppies, although I use the disposable ones as they are older and it is a training exercise to get them to leave them alone.

As for eating poop, sometimes that is a factor of cleaning up the area. If your pup is confined (as he should be) he may not want to be with the poo so long, so will find a way to get rid of it. Again, having someone come in and check on him can help. You should clean up his area as soon as he poops so that he does not have access. It can also help to change the diet. Some diets seem to encourage poop eating.

CloudClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Oh wow, just looked at the post again. I didn't realize you left your puppy alone for 10hours. O.O His attitude might be a sign of separation anxiety?
Old 04-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah I have work and school I was also told not to walk the dog yet because it is still too young and haven't gotten the proper shots yet he is only turning 3 months
Old 04-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah, you need to finish a portion of his puppy shots before you can take him outdoors to public places. I don't know then, I guess you're just going to have to stick with pads for now. Is he always going to be left alone for 10 hours? It'll be hard to potty train him. I second what the previous poster said, maybe you should have someone check in every few hours? :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement