Maltese puppy barking non-stop - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Elisabeth
Dog's Name: Lily Fluffy Bum and Finnegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey_14_08 View Post

jodublin: Hopefully she will be able to sleep outside alone after two weeks
Outside as in outside you bedroom or in your yard. I dont think Maltese are "yard dogs." It is very dangerous for them outdoors.
lilygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilygirl View Post
Outside as in outside you bedroom or in your yard. I dont think Maltese are "yard dogs." It is very dangerous for them outdoors.
She meant outside her bedroom. 8-12 week old is still too young for that.
tobysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobysmom View Post
imo, at 8 weeks, she should not be sleeping in another room alone. It's instinctual to bark and call for help at that age because a young dog left alone in the wild is a dead one, they would have zero chance of survival. 8 weeks is young young young, and an 8 week old should not be seperated from their pack at night imo, don't leave her in another room, bring the crate into the bedroom. Ah heck, when i first got my toby, i put the crate on the end of bed! lol. Most nights it would be in the room either RIGHT next to the bed where he could hear me breath, or in a place where he could see me. But being away from the pack is unnatural and very scary for the dog imo, this early on, s/he should feel as comfortable and safe as possible. One more thing, 8-12 weeks is a fear stage iirc, fear imprints during this stage and shapes their personality afterwards and the last thing you want is a fearful barky dog with seperation anxiety.

Also worth a mention, maltese and most other toy dogs, are animals literally bred over 1,000's of years, to be right next to a human. But the above is way more relevant to the situation than that.

Get a platic travel crate, put the crate in the bedroom = no peeing on the bed, no barking, and no more upsettedness to the pup.

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

Dog's Name: Abbie

Bailey_14_08: I think it's really sweet that you are going through the effort do sleeping out in the living room next to your new pup. That and the fact that you are asking for advice here show you will be a great puppy parent!

When we brought Abbie home, I ended up clearing off my nightstand and putting her plastic kennel up there facing me. Many nights were spent with my fingers in the door grates. Sometimes I wish we would have trained her to sleep in a different room, I would probably be getting better sleep. We tried having the kennel on the floor and she howled for hours...up on the nightstand worked great.

And yes....the stinker has worked her way to the bed, but will also sleep in her kennel if we need her to, so it's working out.

Good luck and congratulations on the pup.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Anna
Dog's Name: Gucci

I'm having the same problem. But not at night, just when I leave the house...OR the room. I've been bringing her into the bathroom/bedroom when I shower and get dressed in the morning, but this morning she didn't go potty when I took her out and I didn't want her going on the floor, so I left her in her X-pen. She barked for 45 mins straight. -- Last night, we went to the movies and started barking when I left. I forgot something inside, so I had to turn around and when I was getting closer, I could STILL hear her. She just refuses to be left alone. Any advice???
Advertisement