maltese biting - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default maltese biting

i have a maltese whos 14 weeks old and he will not stop biting me. my boyfriend is always nagging me and wanting me to be really harsh on the dog but i dont want to be. the dog listens to my boyfriend but i would say only because hes always yelling at it and hes mean to it.hes always bitched at me since the day i got the dog at 8weeks old about its biting and hes always been harsh to the dog and all i keep saying is hes a puppy but my bf has no tolerance. he makes me feel like im ruining the dog by not being mean to it like he is. and he is stressing me out and always bitching about the dog. to me its normal for a small puppy to bite while playing and he doesnt bite hard but i need/want him to learn to not bite at all and i cant seem to do it. ive tried things i didnt want to like holding the dog down until he gives up, flicking his nose and saying no bite! holding his mouth closed and saying no bite every time he bites but it just makes him madder and bite more. ive tried putting him in a different room for time outs. ive tried saying no bite and giving him a toy and praising him when he is chewing the right things or being nice. i dont know the right thing to do to actually get him to stop. and im tired of listening to my bf bitch at me and trying the ideas of people who dont even have a dog. to be honest it is frustrating me so much that i just want to cry because nothing works and im bitched at daily.. if anyone knows the proper way to stop him please reply. thanks
cheekymaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

First, welcome to SM. I can say that being mean and hitting your puppy is definately something you and your BF should not do. Puppies bite and play, its part of being a pup. Please discourage your BF when he is mean or hits him....that is not the way it should be done. You need to be consistent when telling your pup firmly no biting and say ouch out loud to let him know it hurts and praise him with a treat when he listens. Give him something to chew on as he also is probably teething. Please, please do not hit your furbaby. It does take time for him to catch on but he will. Be patient.

You can also use the search bar at the top of the page to look for different ways to help you train him. I am sure others will also give you some advice.

Good luck and keep us posted on how he's doing.
Zoe's Mom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

My 15 week old puppy is biting also. It's what puppies do, but it will pass. I always have something for him to chew on when holding him. Do not allow BF to mean to your puppy. It won't solve the problem, but will create more.

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Christine
Dog's Name: Mia, Leo and Ana

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekymaltese View Post
i have a maltese whos 14 weeks old and he will not stop biting me. my boyfriend is always nagging me and wanting me to be really harsh on the dog but i dont want to be. the dog listens to my boyfriend but i would say only because hes always yelling at it and hes mean to it.hes always bitched at me since the day i got the dog at 8weeks old about its biting and hes always been harsh to the dog and all i keep saying is hes a puppy but my bf has no tolerance. he makes me feel like im ruining the dog by not being mean to it like he is. and he is stressing me out and always bitching about the dog. to me its normal for a small puppy to bite while playing and he doesnt bite hard but i need/want him to learn to not bite at all and i cant seem to do it. ive tried things i didnt want to like holding the dog down until he gives up, flicking his nose and saying no bite! holding his mouth closed and saying no bite every time he bites but it just makes him madder and bite more. ive tried putting him in a different room for time outs. ive tried saying no bite and giving him a toy and praising him when he is chewing the right things or being nice. i dont know the right thing to do to actually get him to stop. and im tired of listening to my bf bitch at me and trying the ideas of people who dont even have a dog. to be honest it is frustrating me so much that i just want to cry because nothing works and im bitched at daily.. if anyone knows the proper way to stop him please reply. thanks
First, hugs to you, and your new baby.

The ONLY thing your boyfirend is doing, and I am so sorry to say this, but is creating, fear and anxiety, in your baby. The baby had NO idea, what he is doing wrong, when your boyfriend, yells at him. All the little guy knows, is that, your boyfriend, is angry at him, and it causes your little guy great fear. If this continues, your baby will possibly be forever an anxious fearful baby.

Please don't think I am being harsh. Just trying to help.

Okay, the way, puppies, play, is by mouthig. On your shocks, your feet, your hands, that is how they play, with their littermates.

Yes, their little teeth do hurt. But they don't know that, and don't mean it.

When your baby does this, replace it with a chewy (a bone), keep doing that, until your baby chews on the bone.

If your baby persist on chewing on you, turn and walk away, no playing with your baby.

If your darling baby still is chewing at your feet, instead of the chewey, just a 5 minute time out, in the special place you have set up for him. No longer than 5 minutes. Otherswise they forget, why they are on a "time-out.

Let him back out, and start again. It's all a part of training.

Puppies and dogs, DO NOT understand, hollering, they just don't, it just causes them to be fearful and anxious, and they don't know why.

Does your boyfriend live with you. I don't mean to be harsh on him, honest, but he has to understand, that this part of puppyhood, is normal, they are playing, but you can lovinly redirect them.

It sounds like you are doing everything you can, continue to do so. And put your boyfriend on time-out . Just kidding. But has to learn, meaning your boyfriend, that any training, positive or negative, will stay with the puppy, all of it's life. You don't want an anxious baby.

But truly, when pups are with their breeder, that's how they play. They mouth their littermates. It's normal. He's not biting, he's mouthing, playing, yes it hurts. But when we take on the responsiblity of pet ownership, it's up to us, to show them the right way, in a loving way.

It seems like it last long, but it doesn't.

You can also give your baby an ice cube. Or wet a washwrag, twist it up, and put it in the freezer. Then let your baby chew on that.

Good luck to you, and keep coming back and give us updates.

Try and not let your boyfriend frustate you. Puppy time is such a special time and goes so fast.

Be sure and tell your boyfriend, alhtough, I am not sure he will understand, that the puppy doesn't understand, being yelled at. He just doesn't. It only makes your baby afraid and could make a very anxious baby. You don't want that.

I hope these tips help.

And I wish you all the best.

Much love,
Christine
Old 09-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: SHELLY
Dog's Name: ABBIGAIL

I can tell you without a doubt that hitting or screaming will only cause fear and emotional issues with your puppy. The Maltese breed respond much better to positive reward methods. There are great threads on this site on training. All puppies bite just keep using the chew toy. It will get better.
sdubose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by allheart View Post
First, hugs to you, and your new baby.

The ONLY thing your boyfirend is doing, and I am so sorry to say this, but is creating, fear and anxiety, in your baby. The baby had NO idea, what he is doing wrong, when your boyfriend, yells at him. All the little guy knows, is that, your boyfriend, is angry at him, and it causes your little guy great fear. If this continues, your baby will possibly be forever an anxious fearful baby.

Please don't think I am being harsh. Just trying to help.

Okay, the way, puppies, play, is by mouthig. On your shocks, your feet, your hands, that is how they play, with their littermates.

Yes, their little teeth do hurt. But they don't know that, and don't mean it.

When your baby does this, replace it with a chewy (a bone), keep doing that, until your baby chews on the bone.

If your baby persist on chewing on you, turn and walk away, no playing with your baby.

If your darling baby still is chewing at your feet, instead of the chewey, just a 5 minute time out, in the special place you have set up for him. No longer than 5 minutes. Otherswise they forget, why they are on a "time-out.

Let him back out, and start again. It's all a part of training.

Puppies and dogs, DO NOT understand, hollering, they just don't, it just causes them to be fearful and anxious, and they don't know why.

Does your boyfriend live with you. I don't mean to be harsh on him, honest, but he has to understand, that this part of puppyhood, is normal, they are playing, but you can lovinly redirect them.

It sounds like you are doing everything you can, continue to do so. And put your boyfriend on time-out . Just kidding. But has to learn, meaning your boyfriend, that any training, positive or negative, will stay with the puppy, all of it's life. You don't want an anxious baby.

But truly, when pups are with their breeder, that's how they play. They mouth their littermates. It's normal. He's not biting, he's mouthing, playing, yes it hurts. But when we take on the responsiblity of pet ownership, it's up to us, to show them the right way, in a loving way.

It seems like it last long, but it doesn't.

You can also give your baby an ice cube. Or wet a washwrag, twist it up, and put it in the freezer. Then let your baby chew on that.

Good luck to you, and keep coming back and give us updates.

Try and not let your boyfriend frustate you. Puppy time is such a special time and goes so fast.

Be sure and tell your boyfriend, alhtough, I am not sure he will understand, that the puppy doesn't understand, being yelled at. He just doesn't. It only makes your baby afraid and could make a very anxious baby. You don't want that.

I hope these tips help.

And I wish you all the best.

Much love,
Christine

I also want to add, I pray, you stay with the site. You will learn so much. I did. Hitting? Did your boyfriend hit the baby? Again, this will cause fear of human hands.

Additionally, the stress your boyfriend, is putting YOU under, is also not fair.

I pray, again, you stay with this site, again you will learn so much.

Don't hold the babies mouth together, just offer an alternative, like a chewy or the frozen washcloth.

Sweetheart, your heart is in the right place, that is YOUR baby, so you continue to do what you are, and that is doing right by the baby. And try some of the tips.

When you hold the babies mouth closed, he is not get mad, but just thinks you are playing back. But it's not a good way at all to teach the baby, but you didn't know that.

Not to get into your personal business, but I first want to give you a hug, you do not need your boyfriend, giving you this kind of stress, and God forbid, he ever has a baby, what will he do in the middle of the night, when the baby awakes crying? Dear God.

Please stay with the site, you will learn so much. I did. And have had fur-babies for years. We learn as we go, but as long as we have love in our heart for our baby, things go so much more wonderful.

I will keep you in my thoughts. And please give us an update.

Hugs.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

i dont hit the puppy. im gentle with him and thats why i assume he doesnt listen to me. i dont personally mind the puppy biting me when hes playing because it doesnt hurt and i know thats how they play. but iam constantly told that he will never stop biting me if i let him play bite me etc. my boyfriend makes me feel like im ruining the dog and he stresses me out all day about it. i recently told my bf that hes not to touch the dog or discipline it because he is the one thats ruining the dog. even when im playing with the dog and he bites etc my bf stares at me and then he will scold the dog and i ask him to not so that i can do it since its biting me and not him.

is it normal and ok to let the dog bite as long as its playing and biting gently or should he not even bite when hes playing?
cheekymaltese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekymaltese View Post
i dont hit the puppy. im gentle with him and thats why i assume he doesnt listen to me. i dont personally mind the puppy biting me when hes playing because it doesnt hurt and i know thats how they play. but iam constantly told that he will never stop biting me if i let him play bite me etc. my boyfriend makes me feel like im ruining the dog and he stresses me out all day about it. i recently told my bf that hes not to touch the dog or discipline it because he is the one thats ruining the dog. even when im playing with the dog and he bites etc my bf stares at me and then he will scold the dog and i ask him to not so that i can do it since its biting me and not him.

is it normal and ok to let the dog bite as long as its playing and biting gently or should he not even bite when hes playing?
It is normal for a puppy to "mouth", but no, you want to get them out of the habbit and learn to play, withouth play mouthing. And read some of the suggestions above. They will help.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Barbie
Dog's Name: Zoe (Kyra my Angel in Heaven)

Maybe you can explain to your BF that you don't have to hit the puppy to make him listen to you. Your right you shouldn't do that. Your pup is really just playing with you but you can teach him properly not to do that. Buy a little something he could chew on in place of your finger. He will not do this forever but scaring him is not good it will make him anxious and fearful. I agree with Christine...stay with this site you will learn a lot and there is always someone here to help.
Zoe's Mom88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

Please explain to your bf that the puppy is not "listening" to him, the puppy is now afraid of him. What he is doing is likely to result in a fearful, unsocial dog.

Please please please find a dog trainer who uses positive reinforcement methods and have them show you the best way to train your little fluff. It sounds like you're new at this and could really use the help of someone who has experience in that area.

Biting is really mouthing and you have gotten some good suggestions here. You will need to be patient with your puppy and help him learn in a good way, not by yelling or punishing.
Advertisement