X-large dog crate safe as "play pen"? - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBird View Post
Nope, just Icky, 6 leopard geckos, 3 tarantulas, 2 turtles and a lovebird (and a partridge in a pear tree). I think after Icky comes home the zoo will be full
One or probably two fluffs would be fine with the iris pen. My Yorkie, Hardy can get the door open though. He has managed to get out of or get my other fluffs out of everything!! I have to zip tie everything!!!!

Furbabies mom is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Nope, just Icky, 6 leopard geckos, 3 tarantulas, 2 turtles and a lovebird (and a partridge in a pear tree). I think after Icky comes home the zoo will be full
***I would get at least 6 panels*** 4 just holds a bed. If same size panels I have here, bet you will end up ordering more. I laid newspaper down to see how big it was and set his things on top. I would get the higher one if he is going to be alone. Depending on his size he could climb over short one. It's really hard to cover this pen. I tried once. Oh, always tighten latch screw on outside of door so he can't mess with the latch thing. If he lifts it (mine never touched it, but my neighbors yorkie did) the door will open. If you ever need to confine icky post op you can use just 4 panels. I first used 6 and then 8 as he aged for Sammie when I left him alone. How old is icky? Does your ticker says 6 weeks? Usually don't leave their mom/liter till 12 weeks, so I was not sure. I bought a roll of vynyl flooring at home depot that I sat the pen on until housebroken. Just make sure it extends beyond the pen or some dogs chew on the edges.

I'm gonna check out Deborah's link now. I'm always on lookout for good stuff.
Deb--- I wish I could meet that cute little Hardy!

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Deb- your Hardy sounds like my neighbors yorkie. He can JUMP so high. And has strong legs too. Bitty thing too, never know it. He's so cute!! but he is always up to something with Sammie, likes to play hide n seek. Penny won't hide so she just lays on floor watching them with little growls if they fly by her.

Last edited by SammieMom; 11-08-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

Name: Laura
Dog's Name: Icky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieMom View Post
***I would get at least 6 panels*** 4 just holds a bed. If same size panels I have here, bet you will end up ordering more. I laid newspaper down to see how big it was and set his things on top. I would get the higher one if he is going to be alone. Depending on his size he could climb over short one. It's really hard to cover this pen. I tried once. Oh, always tighten latch screw on outside of door so he can't mess with the latch thing. If he lifts it (mine never touched it, but my neighbors yorkie did) the door will open. If you ever need to confine icky post op you can use just 4 panels. I first used 6 and then 8 as he aged for Sammie when I left him alone. How old is icky? Does your ticker says 6 weeks? Usually don't leave their mom/liter till 12 weeks, so I was not sure. I bought a roll of vynyl flooring at home depot that I sat the pen on until housebroken. Just make sure it extends beyond the pen or some dogs chew on the edges.

I'm gonna check out Deborah's link now. I'm always on lookout for good stuff.
Deb--- I wish I could meet that cute little Hardy!
Yes he is currently ~6 weeks, however he is still with the breeder and will be until he is at least 12 weeks

Sounds like 6 sections it will be. Each one is 3 feet long, so I can make a pen that is 3 feet x 6 feet.

I am concerned about him scaling the 2 foot high unit, however I dont really want the 3 foot high one either. Do many people have problems with their puppies climbing out? I was reading reviews on amazon and only a few people seemed to have that problem (often, although not always, it was with a larger puppy).

So many decisions. This is almost worst than trying to decide which food to feed him haha.

YellowBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Katie
Dog's Name: Charlie

Quote:
Tarantulas?

Wow, I admire you. In my 33 years of life I've tried almost everything to overcome my arachnophobia - without much of a success.
I'm not scared of anything else - mice, snakes, other bugs...not a problem, but the tiniest spider and I'm on a verge of screaming my head off.
I wish I wasn't scared of spiders so much....

Charlie'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
One or probably two fluffs would be fine with the iris pen. My Yorkie, Hardy can get the door open though. He has managed to get out of or get my other fluffs out of everything!! I have to zip tie everything!!!!
Deborah is telling you that your zoo is not full yet... you need a second fluff!!!

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Yes he is currently ~6 weeks, however he is still with the breeder and will be until he is at least 12 weeks

Sounds like 6 sections it will be. Each one is 3 feet long, so I can make a pen that is 3 feet x 6 feet.

I am concerned about him scaling the 2 foot high unit, however I dont really want the 3 foot high one either. Do many people have problems with their puppies climbing out? I was reading reviews on amazon and only a few people seemed to have that problem (often, although not always, it was with a larger puppy).

So many decisions. This is almost worst than trying to decide which food to feed him haha.
I didn't want to be wondering about it. You won't have a problem with a tiny puppy. Maybe when they are full grown. A friend of mine had a adult Maltese that could jump over top of short one.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Courtney
Dog's Name: Ozzie (& Lisa @ the bridge)

I have a large crate for Ozzie (of course, before reading all these horror stories...) and thankfully, he doesn't try to escape or chew on the bars... however, he did jump over every gate we have tried...

Lisa, on the other hand, CHEWS the gate we put up on the 2nd bedroom, so a crate would be out for her, I need to get her an xpen she can't destroy!! Thankfully in the meantime she has been *mostly* peeing on her pads...sigh....

CorkieYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie'sMom View Post
Tarantulas?

Wow, I admire you. In my 33 years of life I've tried almost everything to overcome my arachnophobia - without much of a success.
I'm not scared of anything else - mice, snakes, other bugs...not a problem, but the tiniest spider and I'm on a verge of screaming my head off.
I wish I wasn't scared of spiders so much....
Haha, if you lived closer I would invite you over to meet the spider gang. Anyone I have ever met that was scared of spiders/tarantulas was not nearly afraid after meeting my one big girl- she is very calm and "sweet" (if you can call a 6 inch tarantula that...). I have had her for 10 years now, and hopefully she will live right up top her full life expectancy of 25 years!

I really love my tarantulas and hope to get a few more...once my convince my better half. Right now I am playing the game of "I should have one tarantula for every suit that you have"- he has over 20 suits!!

As for having more than one fuzz butt...I dunno! I think I am going to have my hands full with just the one right now! I kinna feel about dogs how I feel about my bird. I really enjoy getting attached to just one and spoiling the heck out of them and not having to divide my time/attention between more than one animal of the same species!

I think Ive decided to go with the 24 inch high pen, and get 6 panels of it. If we have escapee problems, I will deal with that then. I am not too worried about him jumping out when he is older since hopefully by then we wont have to pen him, or, I can get a baby gate or something for the kitchen area and confine him to there, OR buy a higher pen....or....*sigh*

Old 11-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #20 (permalink)

I was unable to find anywhere locally that sold the IRIS pen, and shipping to get it here was more than the cost of the pen itself. I did however find this one at Babies-R-Us today. I think it will work out well!

North States Superyard Classic - Grey - North States - Babies"R"Us

Sponsored Links
Advertisement