X-large dog crate safe as "play pen"? - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 07:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Name: Laura
Dog's Name: Icky
Default X-large dog crate safe as "play pen"?

Hi Everyone,
I was thinking of purchasing a used x-large dog crate (48" long x 29" wide) to use to keep Icky confined when I cannot watch him or when we go out.

I like this idea because it has a top, so he cannot escape, and it has a plastic tray on the bottom so if he misses the pee pad it will not get on our hard wood floors. Also, it will be large enough to put his kennel inside, a pee pad, toys etc.

Originally I was going to get a 2x2 play pen, but this actually works out to being much larger!

I was just wondering if there are any reasons why someone does not think this is a good idea, or not safe? The only thing I could think of was the spacing of the bars, but I figure they cant be more than 1.5 or so inches wide, which would be small enough to keep him from getting his head stuck, right?

Thanks!

YellowBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

I see in pics that some people here have them. The one down side that I see, is that they are heavy, and would be harder to move, and if you go somewhere it would be harder to take it down and transport with it. They are more costly, but if it's used you probably got a good deal. If it's just staying in one place and there is room fir your fluff to move around and have a bed and food and water, I think it would be great. They are more sturdy and less chance of escape!!

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kandis
Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny Maltese

Hi Laura-My opinion is I would never leave my dog in a crate after reading stories of them getting caught in bars. Esp a big one with a Maltese. I know it's handy, but I read stories of Face, legs etc getting stuck. So it is XPEN for me.
There was a thread other day about crates and not long ago a woman on SM posted that she had to unscrew the door while her dog was screaming caught in door bars. And couple rescue ladies posted on that thread warning about seeing lots dogs hurt in their crates. That's when I put mine away. I do use it to separate them when we are doing in home training but it's right next to me in my view.
JMHO. I love my adjustable / portable iris panel pen.

Last edited by SammieMom; 11-08-2012 at 09:00 AM.
SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

I agree with Kandis... I'd be worried he'd try to escape and end up stuck.

I know Grace tries to fit through everything... so I can only imagine her in a big crate!

There is a popup xpen that has a top (zippered on).... I like the xpens because they have no bars for her to try and squeeze through.

The ones with the top are pretty inexpensive on ebay!

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kandis
Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny Maltese

I got the IRIS "higher" panels, so don't need a top and they connect with rods. It's not as easy to reach down into pen but they can't jump over. I bought 8 panels, 2 of which have doors. No hinges to catch their mouth on. I like fact that I can use from 4 to 8 panels and I can slide it around the house. Or just use couple of the panels separately to block access to areas. I don't use them as much now but it's quick to set up in hurry.

SammieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I have the iris one also, but to me they are flimsy. I had to put two together because with the x tra panels my other fluffs could push on it from the outside and bend it in. The sturdiest one that I had was an baby play yard that you can also add panels to. It's taller than the x pen and sturdier. They sell them at Walmart and discount stores.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

North State Superyard XT Portable Playard - Walmart.comH
Here is the one that I really like.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

I found the IRIS pen on amazon.com and I think I am going to go with that. I have decided to get the 24 inch one- I can always cover the top up if Icky decides that he wants to be an escape artist. Now I just need to deside if I should get the 4 panels, or if I should buy an additional 2. What do you guys think? I am trying to not go overboard here and buy only what I need, I dont mind spoiling the pets, but more often than not I buy for ME instead of them (if you know what I mean ).

Can I get away with the 4 panels instead of 6?

Old 11-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBird View Post
I found the IRIS pen on amazon.com and I think I am going to go with that. I have decided to get the 24 inch one- I can always cover the top up if Icky decides that he wants to be an escape artist. Now I just need to deside if I should get the 4 panels, or if I should buy an additional 2. What do you guys think? I am trying to not go overboard here and buy only what I need, I dont mind spoiling the pets, but more often than not I buy for ME instead of them (if you know what I mean ).

Can I get away with the 4 panels instead of 6?
Do you have more than one fluff? I have 4 and when I put the puppy in the iris pen the other three would stand against it(with the additional panels) and it bowed in.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbabies mom View Post
Do you have more than one fluff? I have 4 and when I put the puppy in the iris pen the other three would stand against it(with the additional panels) and it bowed in.
Nope, just Icky, 6 leopard geckos, 3 tarantulas, 2 turtles and a lovebird (and a partridge in a pear tree). I think after Icky comes home the zoo will be full

Sponsored Links
Advertisement