What to expect?? - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: sandi
Dog's Name: Kitzel & Liesl

[QUOTE=Maizy Moo's Mum;2082144]Do you think its an alpha male thing as you added another boy?? I think its great your getting training with the boys and look forward to hearing how they get on!!!

My 2 friends have in the last year have both got male pups one malt and one cavishon and they are both little terrors and maizy just runs away too ( if they let her!!) rather than correct think female dogs are more placid and like an easy life They could defo do with some training i think!!!!

Liesl says "HA!"
part of their soul remains unawakened."
"Wag more Bark less"
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 01:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: Maizy

Liesl says "HA!"[/QUOTE]

Maybe not a hard and fast rule..........
Old 11-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Deborah
Dog's Name: Laurel (maltese), Dewey, Violet and Hardy and Dewey

[quote=edelweiss;2082200]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maizy Moo's Mum View Post
Do you think its an alpha male thing as you added another boy?? I think its great your getting training with the boys and look forward to hearing how they get on!!!

My 2 friends have in the last year have both got male pups one malt and one cavishon and they are both little terrors and maizy just runs away too ( if they let her!!) rather than correct think female dogs are more placid and like an easy life They could defo do with some training i think!!!!

Liesl says "HA!"
Oh you silly Liesl!!! Maybe you could put Dewey in his place!!!

Furbabies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Sweet Debbie,

when i first got Becky I thought Luna and her would kill each other the fights were awful remeber , but i just was the boss about it and when it got out of hand i would intervene and sometimes i would just let them be now the fights are rare , and if the dogs dont teach little Dewey you should just walk over claim your other dogs and discipline him about biting ..... that is what i would do ???

Anna xo
aksm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksm4 View Post
Sweet Debbie,

when i first got Becky I thought Luna and her would kill each other the fights were awful remeber , but i just was the boss about it and when it got out of hand i would intervene and sometimes i would just let them be now the fights are rare , and if the dogs dont teach little Dewey you should just walk over claim your other dogs and discipline him about biting ..... that is what i would do ???

Anna xo
I don't have a problem with allowing Dewey and Hardy to work it out, it's just there is such a weight difference. Maybe I'm being over protective with Dewey, because he is much smaller. Poor Violet tries to put Dewey on the ground with her chin, he just fights and gets up and hangs into her hair. She never growls at him . Laurel tucks her tail in and runs away!!

Old 11-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Bridget
Dog's Name: Lady Bella (and Katie & Lucky at The Bridge)

Send your little man to Bella....this little lady will hold her own! . LOL! She is over a year and incredibly playful and fiesty. After her bath yesterday a.m. she needed someone to beat up (since she hates baths and grooming), so sure enough she took it out on her elephant and horsey bear ~ poor guys never it saw it coming! It's like she knows she can't beat us up, so she goes after the weakest link and growls and acts like a wild girl. So....I guess I'm saying we should share the cost of your trainer . Good luck!

"A weed is just a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."
Summergirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Leila says, "send him over to play with me"! She's giving poor Kaylee (the lab) a hard time today. Kaylee wants to sleep and Leila wants to play fight. Like I said in another post, Leila is being a wild thing today and wanting to run & chew. Maybe they could wear each other out.

When I first got Leila, Kaylee completely ignored Leila. If Leila came near her, Kaylee would either turn her head away or get up and walk off. After a few weeks, Kaylee has adopted Leila and treats her like her own puppy. She will let Leila do whatever to her and gently teaches her not to bite her. If Leila does, Kaylee takes her head and moves Leila away with it. She'll play tug-of-war with her and will let Leila win if it looks like Kaylee's getting too excited and we have to tell Kaylee to stop. Leila has started doing "the boss thing" (humping) Kaylee occasionally. Kaylee will just look back at her and roll her eyes.

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Our almost five year old Chrissy can also be rather fiesty which we were not used to by either our late Angel or any of our other dogs. For some reason, she has been growling since she was a very little pup, does not bite, but does let us know that she does not want to be disturbed when she is sleeping, or just sitting on the bed or anywhere else. So, I personally think it is just the personallity of Dog or perhaps there are some underlying issues. Perhaps Dewey will finally settle down once he is nutered and that will also help Hardy as well.
Snuggle's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Hardy is such a silly dog! He has pestered Laurel and Violet since he was a puppy! Both the girls have put him in his place, especially Laurel, but yet they seem to be best friends. Sometimes he acts like he wants to play, like between the gate(he's safe) or if he's on couch and Dewey is trying to play with him but can't reach him. Another tine, I knew it wasn't playing, growling showingnteeth ears back, and Dewey was doing the same. It scared me.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: April
Dog's Name: Rose, Lily, & Eva

If Hardy and Dewey are growling at each other with teeth bared, I would not leave them to work it out..hopefully the trainer can show you how to help them get along better...I know that I had to act as a referee on several occasions with mine..Dewey is still a baby and I would keep him in his pen when you can't watch him. As hard as it is to believe, he should calm down eventually. With having 3, I had to keep Eva in her pen for longer periods of time so as not to deviate from Rose & Lily's routine..I taught Eva to adapt to Rose & Lily..and she was and still is last to be fed and groomed. Eva adapted beautifully. My Rose is the oldest and it took her a little longer to come around..but she finally did. Eva was pretty wild but my Lily was the worst..she would put teeth marks all over Rose and pull her by the tail and Rose would do nothing..so I taught Rose to "get away" ..I "got on" Lily every time she got out of control and praised her when she "played nice." Finally, Lily got the idea that Rose & I would not put up with her puppy teeth and she really calmed down although I never thought she would.. I can't imagine having 4 to take care of, I imagine it takes some juggling. Eventually, I bet they will get along just fine..