Very bitey and barky puppy, spurts of violent energy and more - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

Gus was a lot like that as a puppy.... But he was separated from his litter too soon and didn't know proper dog behavior...so he was SO bitey.

Puppy class helped.... Do NOT go to Petsmart.

Find a puppy class from your local ASPCA - the trainers are better and it is CHEAPER!.... but a puppy class will help your puppy bond with you and help you learn how to help distract and deter these behaviors.

Do not grab is mouth and say "no biting" -- he doesn't understand that. And if someone sees you do it they may think it's okay for them to do it and they may grab too hard.

Puppy class.... it's wonderful

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

We got him from a family that takes in dogs and "rehabilitates" them and gives them off to families who have the time and will to take care of a dog. From what I know, he was abused prior but the while he had lived with the family he did not show the symptoms I said above. I just find it unique that it only happens sometimes - in the living room. As of now, he's lounging on our chair with no bitey bone in his body. Maybe its just a puppy thing, I was just wondering if there's a way I can teach him this is bad while he recognizes it... Since I don't think he knows I don't want him to bite.
Ritzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

I'd redirect him.... When he starts getting to the point of getting wild and biting.... Redirect him.

Does he know obedience? Ask him to sit, give him a treat.

Distraction

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Grace'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

Hi! Your dog sounds very sweet and I am glad you are trying to understand his behavior better . I would definitely stop acting like you're going to hit him with a large object -- that can be very intimidating and fear inducing in a Maltese. Maltese are known to be quite sensitive and overly harsh techniques can cause fear based reactivity and anxiety. He is still a young dog and still developing at 13 months. Although he may have approached his physical adult size, this age is still undergoing social development.

Do you think he could just be having FRAP's or the "zoomies" as many of us call it? My dog has the zoomies in our living room or backyard where he will run around like a crazy dog often in circles and if you try to stop him, it kind of excites him instead! It's not bad to have the zoomies, sometimes it means they need more activity to get that energy out. Maybe try taking him on more walks and working with him on basic obedience to stimulate and tire out the mind and body. A tired dog is a happy dog. Try clicker training him to learn the stay command and not to bite. Stick with only positive reinforcement and you both will make progress .
hoaloha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kathy
Dog's Name: Pipper

You stated that you get him to stop by grabbing a large object and pretend you're going to hit him with it. This is NOT a good thing to do. I think it would cause him to mistrust you and always be afraid you're going to hit him. Positive reinforcement works. Remember, he's still very very young.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

pippersmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Congratulations on your puppy! You've already gotten the advise I would say...completely ignore him when he starts biting - cross your arms with your hands under your armpits and turn your head away from him. But as you pull your hand away from him, immediately let out a loud "Ow!". When he sits and is calm, pick him back up and tell him "good boy". If he bites again, start over again. Consistency is important!

Leila'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

II sounds as if his original owners (before the "rehab") might have hit him or otherwise frightened him, in addition to it teaching proper puppy behavior using positive reinforcement. The "no bite" thing is not an effective way to teach that.

I'd suggest finding a behavioral trainer who uses only positive reinforcement - no Cesar Milan stuff please- and have them observe your baby in your home to see what some of the odd behavior is. And be patient - sometimes these babies get off to a bad start because of humans and we need to be patient with them while they learn what is expected of them.
Advertisement