Back from puppy class!! - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Grace
Dog's Name: Daisy

I'm really considering one on one time after tonight daisy was so excited when she say all the other little pups until this pup came in. She greeted everyone and was so gentle with the little ones. She spent all evening shaking after that she was really thirsty and the other dog even drank all her water. As others suggested I brought her bowl and water I'm so glad I did because she was sick. I just thought we'd be learning about commands etc but we didn't!!
WeeGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Bridget thanks for the hugs ill pass them on once she allows me near her!! Treats aren't even working. I hope it doesn't make her a frightened dog now she is such a bubbly little thing I wouldn't want her to loose it
Old 12-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

Don't coddle her right now. This is one I forget when I'm being protective. It encourages their behavior. I would just act like all is OK and talk in happy voices. Let her be till she comes around. She will eventually.

I'd also like to say I get mad at this 'pack' behavior theories. When do packs of maltese and boxers co-exist in nature!! That's not natural.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Eiksaa thanks for the no cuddle advise we are slowly coming around she will sit with her plastic bottle and chew it beside me phew!!! It's 12.30pm here but didn't want to put her to bed in the mood she was in. I've taken her to bed tonight and she is now curled at my head breathing into my ear!!!

It made me angry too!! I'm sorry I'm sure the boxer dog is a nice breed but they wouldn't be for me and I was holding the boxer dogs collar at times and it was stronger than me!! Poor daisy just looked like a shaking ball of fluff. She isn't used to rough play like that she does play with big dogs such as labs and retrievers and springer spaniels they are bit older but are young at heart and they are so gentle with daisy in fact one is so protective of her to the point if a stranger comes near daisy the retriever will growl. When I'm at that house daisy and the retriever curl up together with daisy snuggled in the retrievers legs with its tail on top of her. Non of them ever do this dominant play or stand pinning her down everyone was telling me to put daisy down that its ok but it clearly wasn't!!!! I spend every hour of my day almost with daisy I know her moods and I've never seen her A) agressive and growling and unhappy shaking curled tightly and tail under her bum.

Thanks for the support and advice from everyone don't know what I'd do without My SM buddies. Bridget daisy got those hugs and she eventually sends kiss back
Old 12-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

I'm so sorry your puppy had to go through that. She really should have never have been in that situation. Maltese are fragile and get hurt easily. She was smart to be afraid. That dog could have really hurt her. She could have broke something or slipped a disc or worse. Please consider her size and not allow her to be in that kind of situation again. A little dog does not have the physical capaibility to protect themselfs from what you describe. Also, some dogs shake not only when they are afraid but also when they are in pain. If it were me I would give her tons of special attention and not let dogs near her that can cause her harm.

Cuddles for Daisy
summer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I know summer I checked her Over when I got home and she wasn't crying when I touched any part of her. Just made me angry that this woman told me that her boxer pup had the same thing done to her a few weeks back by another dog and she left and came back few weeks later when that dog was gone!! Yet she stood back and let that happen without correcting her dog. She sat on her seat and said Lucy obviously Lucy won't come to that she won't even sit. She as just interested in showing how Lucy could do paw and high five!!!

I was so surprised that they weren't on leads etc. it's made me nervous about going back to even a different puppy class!! Daisy even wet herself while sitting on my knee she's never done that.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie

Grace i'm so sorry that that happened to you. There was someone else on here who took their puppy to puppy class and had similar experience but with more dogs, i'm sorry i can't remember who at the moment. After reading about that experience i asked the trainer at the obedience class what she does at puppy class. I told her what happened to the one poster's puppy and if there is a puppy play time the bigger puppy's are in one area and the smaller puppy's in another area, separated during free play. I know in the obedience we just finished there was a very rambunctious husky mix and that dog was gated off from the rest of the class but still part of the class, just gated so there wouldn't be a fight. It truly saddens me with some of these so called trainers, the way they're training is endangering the puppy and setting the puppy up to be fearful it's entire life.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #18 (permalink)

I would definately use that experience as a learning experience for having a small dog. If your dog ever has a dog near her that can hurt her, as a dog owner to a small breed that cannot protect herself I would go scoop her up asap. It only takes a second for a tragedy to happen.
summer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Debbie I need to find one like that I'm venting at this boxer pup she was lovely very playful but obviously strong and wasn't her fault. She should of been handled better I know if it was daisy being the rough one I would have her on a lead . After the pinning incident I picked daisy up when I could get near her I felt like leaving straight away. I think the other pup was hurt as it cried the whole time. I was sitting beside the other pup and daisy leaned over stressed and all as she was and give the little one a lick. I honestly think that's it I've taught daisy so much myself that I think I'll just keep going myself or get a trainer on one to one. My parents even commented on how distressed she was. Hehe daisy is like their grandchild and they are even more protective than I am of her. She usually loves sitting up on dads lap in the evenings honestly think its cause she can see more but wouldn't go near any of us until an hour ago hid under the table and barked when we went near
Old 12-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by summergirl73 View Post
i believe daisy has "spoken" and that she doesn't want to go back. I would honor that. No way i'd be putting her back in a class that the trainer obviously lacks control over. So sorry you all had to experience this. Please give daisy hugs from us.

i agree 100%
manolomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement