Back from puppy class!! - Page 3 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 02:59 AM   #21 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Grace
Dog's Name: Daisy

Just want to say big thankyou for advice letting me rant and support. It's now 7.30am and for once I'm awake before her!! No wake up kisses for me. I'm just letting her sleep and hoping she recovers this way. I won't be heading back there not at all!! I don't think my dad would allow it. He said he's never seen her look traumatised before.

I agree with some of you that daisy has spoken and I am respecting that. I did get the name of a dog behaviourist/ trainer who does group and one to one sessions I think I'm going to take daisy to her instead. I don't think daisy has any behaviour issues at all but would love to get her to learn to stop pulling on trousers nibbling at my toes and to come that's all she needs she's good at everything else like stay walking on a lead sitting and lying.
WeeGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 03:51 AM   #22 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeGrace View Post
Just want to say big thankyou for advice letting me rant and support. It's now 7.30am and for once I'm awake before her!! No wake up kisses for me. I'm just letting her sleep and hoping she recovers this way. I won't be heading back there not at all!! I don't think my dad would allow it. He said he's never seen her look traumatised before.

I agree with some of you that daisy has spoken and I am respecting that. I did get the name of a dog behaviourist/ trainer who does group and one to one sessions I think I'm going to take daisy to her instead. I don't think daisy has any behaviour issues at all but would love to get her to learn to stop pulling on trousers nibbling at my toes and to come that's all she needs she's good at everything else like stay walking on a lead sitting and lying.

If i were you i would talk to the trainer/behaviorist and find out how she conducts the class and maybe go to a class or 2 without Daisy just to observe. I hope that your able to find a wonderful class for Daisy.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #23 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

poor Daisy , small dogs and big dogs just don't mix well ,try not to fell bad .Just
ask for your money back , some vets run puppy classes or can help you find one
for smaller breeds .
jodublin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #24 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Jo she is fine today this was through the vets and as I was registered there didn't have to pay but can't believe it was allowed to happen!! I'm not bringing her back. We have done 5 minute training sessions on and off today and daisy really getting the hang of stay and come. We just have to teach her no!!! I think she understands but refuses to listen lol!!
Old 12-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

I hope you will consider classes somewhere else. I take Gustave to classes not for training as much as I do for socialization. I think it's good for him to get out and have different experiences. It also teaches him to focus on me with distractions around us and he loves 5 people telling him what a good boy he is for doing a trick.

Only thing is, if socialization is the main focus, it needs to be the good kind.
eiksaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I know it is a good idea just need to find right class for her!!
Old 12-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #27 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Carina
Dog's Name: Cadeau, Cadie, Cacia, CherryB, Cherish & Charm (Cloud, Clancy, Clouseau, Cameo & Calypso @ bridge)
Send a message via AIM to CloudClan Send a message via Yahoo to CloudClan

I am a big advocate for training and training young. But I am also horrified by so many posts like yours where puppy class trainers let things get out of hand.

I have spend thousands of dollars trying to help my reactive dog (who may have become reactive due to a near attack at his puppy k class - an OES jumping a gate to come after him). That was not the fault of the trainers there, but frankly too many puppy class trainers let it be a free for all, assuming over-exuberant puppies won't hurt each other even when there is a difference in size and they figure it is all socialization. When our pups are terrorized that is not the type of socialization that is needed. They need POSITIVE experiences. Negative experiences in puppy-hood actually can have the opposite effect and ruin a dog's confidence and sometimes even traumatize them to the point of leaving them scarred for life.

Please do not take your dog back and please tell them WHY you are not coming back, that you feel she was traumatized by this experience and puppy class should help socialize but not traumatize.

CloudClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #28 (permalink)
dcm

Name: Debra
Dog's Name: My Malts: Annika, Autumn, Jurney, Secret, Winnie, Ricky, & Rumor. My Boxers: Mika & Greta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodublin View Post
poor Daisy , small dogs and big dogs just don't mix well ,.
I fully understand about this incident.....and agree, that the larger puppies and smaller ones should have been under better control if not separated at first due to their tender ages and lack of training.

I'm really sorry Daisy went through this. Definitely does not sound like the trainer was too savvy & she was clearly traumatized.

However, I think all dogs should *eventually* learn how to behave around other dogs of all sizes.

It just so happens, I have two adult Boxers who live side by side with my Maltese....One was 2 yrs. when I got her and the other I raised from a pup. They are now 9 & 7 yrs old. I had Maltese looong before the Boxers. But, none of my Malts are afraid of the Boxers (& my smallest is 4 1/4 lbs).....having said that, my Boxers are pretty respectful of the little Malts. When playing, the Boxers will go down on their tummies to get down the Malt's level. In fact, the Boxers are there for every moment when a new litter is being delivered....they insist on inspecting each arrival and checking on them daily for the first few weeks. My older Boxer actually has attempted to nurse the babies and she's never had pups herself. The Boxers can be standing at their food bowls eating....if a Malt walks in and wants to eat, they literally walk in under the Boxer and the Boxers will politely back away until the Malt is done.

I'm just saying all of this because small dogs and larger ones can and do certainly live together and do it well.

Had to interject this as I've been on a very nice Boxer forum for about 6 yrs. now......and a lot of the Boxer owners strongly dislike small dogs....calling them yappy, snappy, and not well-behaved around larger dogs. I'm always trying to let them know that not all small dogs are like that.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:22 AM   #29 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Carina
Dog's Name: Cadeau, Cadie, Cacia, CherryB, Cherish & Charm (Cloud, Clancy, Clouseau, Cameo & Calypso @ bridge)
Send a message via AIM to CloudClan Send a message via Yahoo to CloudClan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm View Post
I fully understand about this incident.....and agree, that the larger puppies and smaller ones should have been under better control if not separated at first due to their tender ages and lack of training.

I'm really sorry Daisy went through this. Definitely does not sound like the trainer was too savvy & she was clearly traumatized.

However, I think all dogs should *eventually* learn how to behave around other dogs of all sizes.

It just so happens, I have two adult Boxers who live side by side with my Maltese....One was 2 yrs. when I got her and the other I raised from a pup. They are now 9 & 7 yrs old. I had Maltese looong before the Boxers. But, none of my Malts are afraid of the Boxers (& my smallest is 4 1/4 lbs).....having said that, my Boxers are pretty respectful of the little Malts. When playing, the Boxers will go down on their tummies to get down the Malt's level. In fact, the Boxers are there for every moment when a new litter is being delivered....they insist on inspecting each arrival and checking on them daily for the first few weeks. My older Boxer actually has attempted to nurse the babies and she's never had pups herself. The Boxers can be standing at their food bowls eating....if a Malt walks in and wants to eat, they literally walk in under the Boxer and the Boxers will politely back away until the Malt is done.

I'm just saying all of this because small dogs and larger ones can and do certainly live together and do it well.

Had to interject this as I've been on a very nice Boxer forum for about 6 yrs. now......and a lot of the Boxer owners strongly dislike small dogs....calling them yappy, snappy, and not well-behaved around larger dogs. I'm always trying to let them know that not all small dogs are like that.
I absolutely agree that small dogs should be socialized to the extent possible with larger ones, so that that are not yappy and snappy. However, IMHO they do not EVER need to learn to play with larger ones. They can, in a safe controlled environment like your home, where you know the dogs there. But they should not have to do so in situations where the larger dogs are in any way unknown like in this type of class setting. It only takes one accident and our dogs are DEAD. I have seen it happen so many times. The truth is, that many larger dogs do view our small dogs as prey. And we have a responsibility to protect them.

Too often larger dog owners do not understand the risks our dogs face. They will say things like oh my dog is just trying to play. Why is your dog growling? Well it might be bc when your dog was trying to play she landed one of her gargantuan paws on my back and nearly broke my spine. Not all dogs understand their strength and size and many small dogs do in fact know that as a small dog, their only defense is being loud and sending out signals to stay away.

CloudClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #30 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Debra I'm sorry I might seem I'm anti boxer I'm not I was just terrified at the uncontrolled situation. I think it's great your dogs love your malts daisy is also surrounded by big dogs and they respect her they baby her nearly!! It was just the situation I was in. I agree with carina that with unknown dogs it neads to be controlled. Daisy is a lot better I said it to the trainer and she gave me name of someone else for small dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement