Back from puppy class!! - Page 4 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #31 (permalink)
dcm

Name: Debra
Dog's Name: My Malts: Annika, Autumn, Jurney, Secret, Winnie, Ricky, & Rumor. My Boxers: Mika & Greta

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeGrace View Post
Debra I'm sorry I might seem I'm anti boxer I'm not I was just terrified at the uncontrolled situation. I think it's great your dogs love your malts daisy is also surrounded by big dogs and they respect her they baby her nearly!! It was just the situation I was in. I agree with carina that with unknown dogs it neads to be controlled. Daisy is a lot better I said it to the trainer and she gave me name of someone else for small dogs.
WeeGrace, I never thought you were anti-Boxer at all. Sorry, I did not mean for you to think that. I WILL say, I've been around many different breeds in my lifetime and the Boxer definitely has a unique (& seemingly rough) way of playing. Boxers are powerful, but most don't know it. Actually, most non-Boxer breeds will not play with them for that reason. They are a powerful breed but don't know it.
I just took the time to teach my Boxers how to behave around other animals. They even love cats. Generally, Boxers are absolutely wonderful family dogs...most seem to have an instinctive passion about children. Mine had never been around children until my grandkids came along, but have shown loyalty to all of them. Heck, my 3 yr. old can walk the older one and control her (under supervision, of course).

But, then again, I'm an owner who believes the dogs should be under the control of their owner.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #32 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

Ok am I the only one who thought, "Good girl Grace!" For turning and growling at the other dog?

Puppies have no manners and sometimes, rambunctious puppies, need other puppies to step forward and lay down the law. They all want to scuttle back to mama at first, but they need to learn to socialize with other dogs.

However.....

If I paid for a class that was suppose to be all small breed (because that is what I was comfortable with) then that is what I would want....
Old 12-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #33 (permalink)
dcm

Name: Debra
Dog's Name: My Malts: Annika, Autumn, Jurney, Secret, Winnie, Ricky, & Rumor. My Boxers: Mika & Greta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudClan View Post
But they should not have to do so in situations where the larger dogs are in any way unknown like in this type of class setting. It only takes one accident and our dogs are DEAD. I have seen it happen so many times. The truth is, that many larger dogs do view our small dogs as prey. And we have a responsibility to protect them.
I never said otherwise....just said it in a different fashion.... & I was just making the point that dogs of different sizes can get along with training. I did initially say these puppies, of such tender ages, should have never been allowed to roam about with no control.

Might want to re-read what I said..... I never disagreed with the gist of the discussion.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:22 AM   #34 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Nora
Dog's Name: Cici
Send a message via Yahoo to BellaNotte

That sounds a lot like what happened to my Cici at her puppy class :\ It happened the week before class was over. I learned my lesson and I will never let that happen again, I'd rather interfere even if the trainer says not to. Just make sure she's doing fine now and plays appropriately with other dogs now, because Cici turned reactive and does not like dogs at all now, so now I have to dedicate all my time in her training so hopefully one day she will be able to interact without feeling threatened.
I don't know why other people would let their pups intimidate another pup even if they are just playing, when one has their tail between their legs it should be a sign to stop IMHO :\.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:07 AM   #35 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Grace
Dog's Name: Daisy

Debra fully agree that dogs who know each other and are in controlled situation get on great daisy and her cousin who is a retriever have a wonderful relationship she is like her cousins baby lol. The retriever is very protective of her

As regard to how she will react to other dogs ill did out this weekend as we are going to her cousins house. Hopefully she will jus be as interactive and happy as usual.

Yep I was proud sort of when she stood up for herself but she was very uncomfortable with the situation!!! She is her usual bubbly self and currently fighting with her new dress lol.
WeeGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement