Boarding School Anyone? - Page 13 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #121 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

I had not heard of prong collars prior to this thread and at first, just assumed they were the kind you see that are leather with the prongs sticking out. Like you see in a cartoon of a bulldog or something. Then, I as I read, I realized the collars used must have prongs on the inside against the dogs neck. So, I googled it and I came across this site that has pictures of what the collars do just to the outside of the neck. It doesn't show what it looks like to have the internal bleeding or other injuries these collars can cause.
Assistance Dog Aware: Prong collars - NO

I also googled about his school, looking for something HE hasn't put on the internet. Boy, he's got a lot of stuff going on and has to be so busy, he doesn't really have time for the training he claims he is personally doing. He probably has the young guys and his little kids doing most of it. Plus, with his radio show, staying on facebook, going on interviews, people's houses, etc. I just don't know where he'd find the time to be home with the dogs. Anyway, I found this news interview with another trainer about his methods.
I-Team: Use of prong collars in dog training | Turn to 10

Are there any members on SM from Rhode Island? Maybe we should see if there's anything they know to do about this program or how to get something started to have him shut down. And I'd love to see him thrown in jail for animal cruelty!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #122 (permalink)

I would like to know, why someone would have their dog trained like that after doing the research.

Last edited by summer; 12-08-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #123 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

I looked at his facebook page and had to run to the bathroom to throw up. The worst monsters in the world just love to post pictures of their children. If he believes in using prong collars on dogs, what do you suppose he does to makes his children obedient little slaves to his will. I am sick. I am experiencing uncomfortable feeling of intense hatred. I so wish I had never opened this disgusting thread. But, if any one single person learns something, it will be worth it. Now, I am going to hold my perfectly well behaved angel in my arms and kiss her. I just wish that an angel would come to save dear Emme. Her appointed mom seems to think that killing her spirit will save her. I will hold my tongue at this, but you all know what I am thinking, because you are thinking it too.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #124 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

I watched that news coverage and it shows his "kennels"..... It's very brief - when he's taking a dog out of it's kennel by a pole.

I'm even more sad now thinking of Emme in one of those large kennels (or a small one maybe) with all those other big barking dogs.

This is horrible.

I can't believe anyone would send ANY dog to him.

We have a board and train facility here but he uses all positive methods - no choke or prong collars, no Ecollars. No kennels - the dog stays in their home in their room with them (they are a couple) living with them just as their pets do.

I really hope a breeder recognizes her puppy and steps in

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Old 12-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #125 (permalink)

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Mia

Hello,
My Mia is doing wonderful and I am so attached as having her at 6 weeks old I cannot stand when I have to leave her for a Doctor appointment or any errands. She has enriched my life and I look forward to waking to that little face everyday! I have not posted in awhile but I still follow yalls post a couple times a week. After reading this I need to be on more often. If there is one good thing from this thread I learned I should not be using Mias collar but should be using her harness! I never heard of the throat problems that could come from a collar! Thanks again for all yalls wonderful information.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #126 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

I'm with Sylie. Time to run to the bathroom to throw up. Anyone who refers to a dog as "it" should not be training them IMO.

"I think he can bring a different element to behavioral training, which is good," she said. "Different dogs, different perspectives. He's more of a Cesar Millan."

As Gellman entered Missy's outdoor kennel, the small dog ran reluctantly into a plastic doghouse - until he tipped her out. She cowered in a corner as he slipped a collar around her neck.

"You can't tell it not to be afraid," he explained to shelter staffers. "I'm not going to let her suck me into her nervous world. Why reinforce fear?"

Missy's demeanor soon changed as Gellman walked her across the shelter's backyard, leading her on his left side. He urged staff to give resistant dogs a "gentle pop," or tug, when they want to pull away, but to leave leashes loose while they heel.

"They're a pack animal and we forget that," Gellman explained. "It's up to the human to be a good pack leader."

He also advocated the use of a metal, Medieval-looking pinch collar slipped low around a dog's neck, instead of conventional slip collars - which unintentionally choke the animal and ramp-up its excitement-level, he said.

"It looks barbaric," Gellman admitted. "But when a dog is pulling [its owner], it's not training. It's resisting everything you're doing. It's not receiving information."

"When you're holding a dog back by its collar, you're training it to be worse," he added, noting that all training should give dog owners the ability to control their pets without a leash.

The key is to assert dominance without being overly affectionate.

"When you're taking a dog for a walk, that's affection," Gellman said. "They want to work. They want structure. A dog is a creature of dominance, of order."

"You have to train hard to live good," he added. "You're teaching the dog to exist in our world."

Trainer pushes tough love for shelter cases - The Westerly Sun: News

I cannot imagine intentionally training a Maltese puppy like this.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:23 PM   #127 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Sylvia
Dog's Name: MiMi, Ray and RuRu

Now, I would dearly love to train that man to obey me. Oh, yes. I would train him to heel. I would train him to work for every scrap of food. Oh, yes I would train him quite well. He would crawl behind MiMi ... Time to stop. Use your imagination.

Honestly, I tried to stay out of this, but I am so angry, I don't know where to put this anger.Our sensible members tried to educate or enlighten the deaf. Me
Old 12-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #128 (permalink)
TLR
Maltese Guru

Name: Tracey
Dog's Name: Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylie View Post
Now, I would dearly love to train that man to obey me. Oh, yes. I would train him to heel. I would train him to work for every scrap of food. Oh, yes I would train him quite well. He would crawl behind MiMi ... Time to stop. Use your imagination.

Honestly, I tried to stay out of this, but I am so angry, I don't know where to put this anger.Our sensible members tried to educate or enlighten the deaf. Me
I like the way you think and would love to be your training assistant. This is sad beyond words, I too am sick just thinking of poor Emme. Soooooo sad.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #129 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marj
Dog's Name: Bailey and Lady at the Bridge

Before becoming a dog trainer, Mr. Gellman managed Miko Exoticwear for 14 years. Not the credentials I would look for in a dog trainer.

Jeff Gellman | LinkedIn

Here's a review of Miko Exoticwear:

"Pretty good selection of lubes, condoms, and BDSM items. There aren't enough dildos, vibrators, gag-gifts or DVDs. What really separates Miko's from other sex shops are the classes. Where else can you sign a friend up for "How to please your man" and learn from a vulva-puppet? In the same place another day, you may take your weekly How to Strip class. Come here for sex ed, but look somewhere else if you are already educated."

Miko Lingerie & Exoticwear - CLOSED - Fox Point - Providence, RI

Last edited by Ladysmom; 12-08-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #130 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Name: Maggie
Dog's Name: Sweetness and Tessa

Marj - OMG!
Advertisement

Closed Thread