Boarding School Anyone? - Page 2 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

It's unfortunate that some of you have heard horror stories about boarding training facilities but I am hundred percent comfortable with leaving any one of my dogs at this place. I have personal done enough research to know that my dog is safe. My dogs are with me 24 seven they come to work with me and I need a dog that's well-trained.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

I think we are all a little too overprotective over here. I know I am.

I had considered this option too but decided against it because luckily I have someone who can stay at home with Gustave and train him and also, well, see above about being overprotective.

I am sure you will only do what's best for your baby. How often do you get to visit?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kaitlin
Dog's Name: Sadie

Wow...I don't think I could be away from Sadie for that long (and vice versa!). Although it would be nice to have her be fully-trained! I hope everything goes well
Old 12-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

I hope it works out for you. I would NEVER enroll one of my dogs in a boarding/training program.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

Also, she is SO cute. I love this pic.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

Emme is adorable!!! I hope she has a good experience and I know you will miss her!

I am also one who would never send my dog to a boarding facility for training away from the owner/parent. why? Because I believe the whole core of training should be based upon the bond and communication between the dog and his/her owner. I'm a firm believer that training is not only based in that bond, but strengthens it exponentially. I think that owners should be responsible for socialization of their puppies and work with trainers if they are not able to train the dog. Most of dog training is about training the owner too!

That being said, if one is unable for some reason to provide the proper socialization and upbringing for the puppy especially in those crucial developmental period (between 12-16 wks and again another fear period around 6 months), then boarding may be the less ideal way to have the dog socialized. Its far better to have a socialized dog (if that means from elsewhere) than to keep your dog at home and not properly socialize it - which may lead to a fearful, reactive dog who has poor social skills. That is something that you may have to deal with for the dog's life. Many dogs are rehomed or put in shelters
due to behavioral issues that could be avoided with proper socialization and training early in life.
I guess boarding, although not ideal, with some highly skilled trainer is better than no training or socialization at all.

I highly encourage those who read this forum to utilize books, video, Internet to train WITH your dog- it is VeRY REWARDING.

Last edited by hoaloha; 12-06-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolomom View Post
My little Emme has just packed her bags Monday night for a 5 weeks of board/training program. Her big brother Manolo went there last year and he loved it, and I loved the result.
Is that a chock collar that you have on your maltese? Its my opinion that sending a maltese to a training camp like that is not a good idea. I wish your pup the best of luck. I feel bad for her.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Shelly
Dog's Name: Rocky Muffin and Prince Tucker Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer View Post
Is that a chock collar that you have on your maltese? Its my opinion that sending a maltese to a training camp like that is not a good idea. I wish your pup the best of luck. I feel bad for her.
Choke chain I hope not.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kathy
Dog's Name: Pipper

I'm like everyone else....I just couldn't send my dog away for 5 weeks. I have a hard enough time not crying when leaving him at the groomers for one hour. He's not perfect, sometimes he doesn't listen and sometimes he barks but I don't care.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Daisy, Max, Buddy and Bunnie; Grendel, Molly and Bunny in heaven

I never hear of boarding school for dogs, so I googled.

It looks like the trainer's philosphy is not to reward good behavior, but to use prong collars that pinch the neck as a "correction." I didn't know any trainers did that anymore.

Maltese are such little delicate tiny dogs. They respond so well to love and praise and positive training.

I am worried for Emme. I hope she will be okay.

Daisy and Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread