Boarding School Anyone? - Page 6 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 02:22 AM   #51 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Pam
Dog's Name: Leila

Also, where do the dogs sleep? Are they left outside on cold concrete or ground in kennels? Are they left loose with other dogs? Is a human around 24/7 to make sure one of the large dogs doesn't kill the tiny dogs? I just went to his website and looked and then started thinking about all of this. He may scare them into submission and call it trained and they may seem well behaved after awhile. But what about when they first get there and haven't been trained? He talks about them getting to play with each other. I've already recently read two different posts about little maltese being scared at training places where the owners were there. I hate to think of what could happen around all these big dogs when their owner's not there to protect them and if the trainers aren't present. It sounds like most of the dogs are big with uncontrollable issues and those don't sound like safe animals to be around a fragile tiny puppy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 04:12 AM   #52 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

I'm so sorry that you didn't find the right positive reinforcement trainer or behaviourist for your havanese. There are some great, successful trainers out there that help with exactly what you described in your havanese (sounded like a dog-reactive dog) and they would never resort to using choke collars or corrections or any sort of punishment for that kind of problem.

While your havanese apparently was returned to you without the same reactive problem he previously had, you should consider yourself extremely lucky that your havanese did not come back to you with other obvious problems.

Sort of an aside--I can imagine how you probably feel with how the thread has gone. I'm sure most of us have made mistakes with our dogs (I know I have!), but have learned to do better. Sometimes the mistakes don't even seem like mistakes at the time, which is the situation you're in I think. Please keep an open mind and try not to take what has been said too personally. I hope you'll consider that there might be something to learn here as there is good reason for these sorts of trainers/camps and choke collars being so unpopular with the SM folks (and many other dog lovers).

On that note, if you have a little time, please take a look at this trainer's website (just a trainer in Toronto) as I think he breaks down the basics on the types of trainers and training styles out there pretty nicely and links to some important stuff:

Clicker Training - When Hounds Fly Dog Training

*Make sure you check that link he included from the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior on "How to Choose a Trainer"--actually here it is again so it isn't missed: http://avsabonline.org/uploads/main/...28AVSAB%29.pdf

And here's another page on how this trainer deals with behaviour problems with a couple videos illustrating the difference between the type of training they believe in vs. how how a very popular but undereducated "trainer" deals with a different dog with a similar aversion to grooming:

Dog Behaviorist Toronto - When Hounds Fly Dog Training

*And there was another excellent link in there to the AVSAB that's broken--here's the correct link to their position statement on the use of punishment for behaviour modification: http://avsabonline.org/uploads/posit...Statements.pdf

I hope you find the time to read through those links and then perhaps reconsider your training options and what you think is most appropriate for your dogs--especially with your little malt--who is adorable by the way!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #53 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Kathy
Dog's Name: Pipper

If I'm reading this post right, then little Emme is already at this boarding school. Does that mean she won't even be home for Christmas? I find that really sad.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #54 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Brenda
Dog's Name: Jodi

I was curious about the hours there, do the dogs live in a trainers home 24/7, is it a facility 9 -5 etc. Is there training of different lengths of time for puppies of different ages? I assume a puppy would go there with no particular issues so how do they determine how long the training will take?
Old 12-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #55 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Grace
Dog's Name: Daisy

Hey listen I don't want to "shove a view down your throat" but I brought my dog to a puppy class in that class there was a boxer pup who terrorised my daisy. I picked daisy up afterwards and she even wet herself on my knee never in the time I've had daisy has she done this!!! All I want to say is please be careful of bigger dogs our little ones are really fragile I hope Emma is ok please don't think we are accusing you with our reactions we are like this out of love and concern please do keep us updated. I would be worried that you don't see the whole picture from this guy only the bits he wants you to see
Old 12-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #56 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lisa
Dog's Name: Maizy

I think its too late as from what i can see she is already there but i 100% agree with everyone else.

Also if you havent got the time or patience or care to train your dog then im not sure i believe you should even have one in the first place especially a maltese whos nature is so loving to there owner.

I have enjoyed training Maizy so much and there is nothing more rewarding than when she gets it makes me smile so much!!!

Is Maizy perfect...no but she is a well balanced dog....am i perfect definatly not but does any of this matter nope the fact of the matter is we have a bond which i personally feel is far more important.

I have watched dog trainers on programmes on TV NONE of the ones i have seen have used prong collars and hate them they use positive commands and love and rewards rather than fear and pain! I personally would hate seeing Maizy in this situation but you dont believe you are doing anything wrong so all this amazing info people are giving you is falling on deaf ears.

I pray for Emme's sake that she is ok as she looks like an absolute doll and is the innocent creature in all of this.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #57 (permalink)

Thank you for all of your concern again.

Please pray for the little fluffy dogs that are in shelters tonight because their owners gave up on them. Why did the give up on them??? Potty Training Issues, Reactive Barking, others Dogs and the list goes on. They will need those lovely thoughts tonight and every night until they find a good home. Let us Pray for those dogs not my Emme.

Many of you are concerned about where Emme is…Well the only thing I can say if Go on Facebook search for Solid K9 training or go to the website and click on the Facebook logo. There you will learn what Emme is doing.

I have nothing but LOVE for my dogs.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #58 (permalink)

I do pray for all the dogs in shelters.

I will also continue to pray for your dogs. As I said before, I feel horrible for them. I know you had wrote you came here to learn. You got great advise here from animals lovers that love your dog. We care what happens to her. I can tell you, my heart is broken for Emme. No maltese or dog for that matter should be trained like that, in my opinion. I can't imagine why anyone would think its ok to send a four month old puppy or any maltese to be trained with a pronge collar and left at a training for five weeks. Shame on you.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #59 (permalink)
TLR
Maltese Guru

Name: Tracey
Dog's Name: Ben

Oh poor Emme she's already there with pics of the poor baby on his Facebook page.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #60 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Tori
Dog's Name: Grace -maltipoo, Gus - poodle mix

I don't see any dogs as small as Emme on his pages.

I still cannot get over the fact that little tiny dog has a prong collar.

He could train her without that horrible device.

I don't even know how you "pop" a tiny dog in a manner that wouldn't jolt them off their feet they are so light.

I feel so sorry for Emme.

Did her breeder know you were going to put a prong collar and send this baby off to an uneducated "trainer" for 5 weeks???

I'm so sad for Emme. Even if she comes home "perfectly trained"... I will be sad for her knowing the pain she had to go through to get there....

Grace (Dec. 4, 2011) & Gus (Dec.15, 2009)

my lyme journey blog: faith, water, & yoga

my lyme video (updated link):
Tick,tick,tick... Time to see Lyme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread