Boarding School Anyone? - Page 7 - Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums

SpoiledMaltese.com is the premier Maltese Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Spoiledmaltese is a resource and forum for information and help with your Maltese. We do not support or endorse the selling of animals on this site.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 11:46 PM   #61 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Aastha
Dog's Name: Gustave & Mieka

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolomom View Post
Thank you for all of your concern again.

Please pray for the little fluffy dogs that are in shelters tonight because their owners gave up on them. Why did the give up on them??? Potty Training Issues, Reactive Barking, others Dogs and the list goes on. They will need those lovely thoughts tonight and every night until they find a good home. Let us Pray for those dogs not my Emme.
That argument isn't really valid to a bunch of people who have managed to raise their dogs (many dogs in some cases) without choking them everytime they put one step out of line. Not using force is not equal to an out of control dog.

I can't argue with the fact that you love your dogs. However, you are not raising them with love. If you want to take the shortcut instead of putting in the work, that is your choice of course. If thinking this is the only way makes you sleep better, go for it. But no one here is buying that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 12:06 AM   #62 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Gail
Dog's Name: Lucy

I just went to the facebook page. Poor little Emme looks so out of place there! I don't understand what the point is? She's just a puppy--she has some kind of out-of-control behavoral issues? The suggestion is that without this training she would end up in a shelter? I mean, I guess I could maybe see this kind of training for a big dog with aggressive issues, if an owner felt that they were completely out of options. Although, even that kind of dog can be rehabilitated in a kind, positive way (check out Best Friends Animal Sanctuary). However, this little 5 month old fluff ball? How did she end up there? How is she supposed to be compared to dogs that are given up because of behavior issues. I really don't get it.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:30 AM   #63 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Susan
Dog's Name: Tyler

Just saw the FB postings by the "trainer." This is not a stuffed animal, this is our newest 5 week board and train dog who came to us without knowing a thing, and will leave a fully trained dog and With just 10 minutes to grab a quick lunch, I grab Emme and put her in Place while I prepare, eat and clean up my meal. Turn every opportunity of your day to make a great training opportunity, your dog is always learning, give them lots of great information and repetition to learn what you want them to do and not what they always want to do.
Kind of makes me ill. Emme didn't know a thing? Really? Within about an hour of getting Tyler he had already learned to sit. Another 5 minutes, lie down. Took on heal by himself. I don't even like the reference to "grabbing Emme" and I feel that trainer really means, Emme's put "in her place." When I get a meal and sit an eat it, my dog doesn't beg or bother me. He just lies under the table or in the room next door. I just didn't give scraps of human food. Gee, didn't take a prong collar to do any of that. I guess we have different ways of loving and teaching our dogs. I'll take Victoria Stillwell any day. To me you can't send away your family.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:51 AM   #64 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Maureen
Dog's Name: Cherry Lola, (Bonnies Angels) Penny Lane, (Spunsilk)

I feel sad for you and Emme. He says 12 wks old. How can you send away your little darling at that age for 5 weeks. I just can't imagine it. No bonding, cuddling time, pack her off to rules and regulations instead of comfort and love. She has only just left her mother for heavens sake.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #65 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Carina
Dog's Name: Cadeau, Cadie, Cacia, CherryB, Cherish, Charm & Cricket
Send a message via AIM to CloudClan Send a message via Yahoo to CloudClan

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolomom View Post
Thank you for all of your concern again.

Please pray for the little fluffy dogs that are in shelters tonight because their owners gave up on them. Why did the give up on them??? Potty Training Issues, Reactive Barking, others Dogs and the list goes on. They will need those lovely thoughts tonight and every night until they find a good home. Let us Pray for those dogs not my Emme.

Many of you are concerned about where Emme is…Well the only thing I can say if Go on Facebook search for Solid K9 training or go to the website and click on the Facebook logo. There you will learn what Emme is doing.

I have nothing but LOVE for my dogs.
I have wanted to stay out of this thread, mostly because I feel the wonderful caring folks of the SM community have said everything I might wish to say in a more eloquent way than I felt I could.

However, while I understand your defensiveness in reaction to the criticism you have received, I have to point out that it is those people who believe a pet does not require an investment of their time and their attention that cause many of these owner turn-ins to shelters and rescues. It is not the dogs and the behaviors themselves. It is the owners who do not take responsibility for them. Now, you see yourself as taking responsibility here by sending your little one off to "camp" and spending a small fortune to do so, but it seems to me, that you expect to get back a perfectly socialized creature without the investment of your own time. What if she comes back and is not "perfect"? Will you take the time to train her yourself? Will you give up on her and send her to a shelter or a rescue?

I ask this because when I was a foster mom, I was the third home of a dog who went to a camp just like the one that you have sent your dog to. The dog, Chloe, went as a baby puppy. She was trained, with methods like your trainer describes. She was videoed and when she was turned over to me in rescue, the owners said to me, look at how good she was in the video. I never could get her to do that at home. Well, there was a reason for that. The owner did not do the work herself. I re-homed this young Maltese with a family that believed in positive training. She had issues as a result of her first year of life with owners who had failed her. But her new owner took her and tried to work through those issues. She trained her to do tricks and to become a therapy dog. The work her new owner did never was able to fully overcome some of the fears the dog had from the scarring experiences of her early life, but putting in the time to train her themselves they had a lovely well socialized little dog.

Sending your dog off to a training camp is not about building the bond of a relationship. It is about expecting someone else to "create" the perfect dog. In this case, you have chosen one whose methods are not supported by the experts in the field of veterinary behavior. If you read the position statements of the professional organization of animal behavior experts you will see that your trainers methods are contrary to the current recommendations: Position Statements & Handouts (for the public) | AVSAB

I did visit the FB page of this individual and I found myself very disturbed. The type of attitude this individual has toward training is very archaic. As someone who has invested a great deal of time and training into my own dogs, I find it a shame that you will never get to experience the bond created when you work on training your own dog in a positive and loving way. My dogs are not perfect. But they have done therapy work, earned obedience titles and along the way, I learned that I am the one who really needed the training. Training between an animal and an owner is about establishing communication and trust between them.

You may get lucky, despite being trained by someone who clearly does not understand the literature on canine behavioral science, whose methods are questionable at best, your little girl may not be harmed by this experience. It seems you got lucky the first time around with your Havanese, but in both cases you will have lost out. You will have lost out on the bonding time that should be part of any training program.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:53 AM   #66 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Gail
Dog's Name: Lucy

Carina--I don't think anybody could have been more eloquent than that.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:44 AM   #67 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Dog's Name: Sammie & Penny
Unhappy

This is so awful. Some will do whatever to get a dog to OBEY. I wouldn't want to see any updates on this baby.

this guy is just a show off, big deal --so he's putting a tiny Maltese in her place!! What?? Try just never giving her food scraps. Dah!!!

God, watch over this baby!!

Last edited by SammieMom; 12-08-2012 at 03:53 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:10 AM   #68 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Marisa
Dog's Name: Obi (Bellarata's You Better Believe It) & Owen (Aria Maltese)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudClan View Post
I have wanted to stay out of this thread, mostly because I feel the wonderful caring folks of the SM community have said everything I might wish to say in a more eloquent way than I felt I could.

However, while I understand your defensiveness in reaction to the criticism you have received, I have to point out that it is those people who believe a pet does not require an investment of their time and their attention that cause many of these owner turn-ins to shelters and rescues. It is not the dogs and the behaviors themselves. It is the owners who do not take responsibility for them. Now, you see yourself as taking responsibility here by sending your little one off to "camp" and spending a small fortune to do so, but it seems to me, that you expect to get back a perfectly socialized creature without the investment of your own time. What if she comes back and is not "perfect"? Will you take the time to train her yourself? Will you give up on her and send her to a shelter or a rescue?

I ask this because when I was a foster mom, I was the third home of a dog who went to a camp just like the one that you have sent your dog to. The dog, Chloe, went as a baby puppy. She was trained, with methods like your trainer describes. She was videoed and when she was turned over to me in rescue, the owners said to me, look at how good she was in the video. I never could get her to do that at home. Well, there was a reason for that. The owner did not do the work herself. I re-homed this young Maltese with a family that believed in positive training. She had issues as a result of her first year of life with owners who had failed her. But her new owner took her and tried to work through those issues. She trained her to do tricks and to become a therapy dog. The work her new owner did never was able to fully overcome some of the fears the dog had from the scarring experiences of her early life, but putting in the time to train her themselves they had a lovely well socialized little dog.

Sending your dog off to a training camp is not about building the bond of a relationship. It is about expecting someone else to "create" the perfect dog. In this case, you have chosen one whose methods are not supported by the experts in the field of veterinary behavior. If you read the position statements of the professional organization of animal behavior experts you will see that your trainers methods are contrary to the current recommendations: Position Statements & Handouts (for the public) | AVSAB

I did visit the FB page of this individual and I found myself very disturbed. The type of attitude this individual has toward training is very archaic. As someone who has invested a great deal of time and training into my own dogs, I find it a shame that you will never get to experience the bond created when you work on training your own dog in a positive and loving way. My dogs are not perfect. But they have done therapy work, earned obedience titles and along the way, I learned that I am the one who really needed the training. Training between an animal and an owner is about establishing communication and trust between them.

You may get lucky, despite being trained by someone who clearly does not understand the literature on canine behavioral science, whose methods are questionable at best, your little girl may not be harmed by this experience. It seems you got lucky the first time around with your Havanese, but in both cases you will have lost out. You will have lost out on the bonding time that should be part of any training program.
Great post, Carina!

If you don't believe US about the dangers of toy breeds and prong collars due to the risk of tracheal collapse (which may not manifest until later in life), please talk to your VET. (or even do a web search).

You should be the one training your own dog and socializing her. Will the trainer also be bathing her frequently and brushing her daily, playing with her feet and brushing her teeth?!?! These are things that YOU as her owner should be introducing very early on.

And, by the way, I bet I could train a puppy with positive reinforcement in five or less weeks too. He's not doing anything Magical so I don't know why he boasts about 5 weeks. That's a heck of a long time. I just don't think his methods are the best way for a Maltese. I hope that Emme gets lucky and does not get injured or fearful from this experience. I am very open minded but NOT when the trainer does not know medical risks specific to the Maltese breed.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:19 AM   #69 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Lyndsy
Dog's Name: Albert

This is bloody nuts just looked at this guys Facebook page and it's for big bulky wild boisterous dogs not a tiny teeny puppy for christ sakes give her ove here il have her .. My boys in the hospital and I'm missing him after 4 days never mind 5 weekss how bloody stupid can you get ? And lose the collar it's not a Rottweiler !! boooo shame on you
Old 12-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #70 (permalink)
Maltese Guru

Name: Bridget
Dog's Name: Lady Bella (and Katie & Lucky at The Bridge)

May the poster have ears to hear and a heart open to growth. I believe if ego were removed from this situation than true growth could happen. Sadly at this point I fear that Emme will be the one to suffer because of such foolishness. Pathetic.

"A weed is just a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered."

Last edited by Summergirl73; 12-08-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread